My Esquire Relic

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by bossaholic, Oct 7, 2021.

1. dvh2

dvh2 TDPRI Member

Fantastic!

bossaholic likes this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Neat! You should write up the story and send it to Fretboard Journal.

EsquireBoy and bossaholic like this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I’m fed up with negative comments given with no reason other than being negative. It’s one thing to give his opinion in the context of a debate, it’s another thing to denigrate for the sake of denigrating.

And I’m not talking about constructive criticism here.

OP was kind enough to share pictures of his really nice instrument. If the guitar is not to your liking it’s perfectly fine, but please move on to another thread.

4. El Duderino

El Duderino Tele-Meister

Nice Esquire. I think it looks great and don't listen to Mr. Sour Grapes! Even if you don't like it or it ain't your thang why rain on somebody else's parade? I mean come on.....

Now back to that Esquire...You know it ROCKS! I'll bet that guitar screams when cranked. Dan Baird would be proud!

bossaholic likes this.
  5. wstrnswingster

wstrnswingster TDPRI Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    bossaholic likes this.
  6. ponycar

ponycar TDPRI Member

Thanks for sharing. Great history and it can stay like it is or you can keep working it.

bossaholic likes this.
  7. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Actually 30 years.

8. bossaholic

The only unsuspecting buyer would be someone who didn't do their own research.

But....

First, I would NEVER try to pass this off as a vintage guitar, second, anyone with basic knowledge of a vintage blackguard would see the glaringly obvious tell-tale signs of a modern partscaster.

I built this guitar for ME. I am the one who enjoys looking at it. I am showing it off here because I know most would enjoy seeing it for what it is. A RELICED PARTSCASTER.

9. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

That is irrelevant, in the eyes of the law. It's like saying, the only people that I can beat up are some old ladies that can't defend themselves. So, the unsuspecting buyers that don't do their own research are, in the eyes of the law, victims of fraud. It all boils down to one detail: the headstock says Fender and that detail is done in the same style as a genuine article would have been made.

I was not suggesting that you had any intention of passing it off as a real vintage Fender. But you did put the logo on the headstock and you used genuine Fender hardware (which is legal, but further makes is passable.

The fact is that we all age and we all eventually die. When that time comes (which is just a matter of time) someone else takes care of our possessions.

I recently bought a guitar for $400 that came from a collection of guitars that used to belong to someone that died in December 2020. The guitar actually ended up on my repair bench as the guy wanted to sell it for $400, but had to fix some issues. What the guy didn't know was that the guitar had previously been owned by one of my really close friends whom I spend endless hours with on the 1990's. What more he did not know was that previous to my friend owning that guitar it had previous been owned by one of the Rolling Stones. This friend of mine used to take care of some personal affairs of two Rolling Stones members and also owned a lot of stuff they just ended up giving to him.

I had lost touch with my friend around 1997 and had rarely been in touch since, only over the phone. I didn't even know he had died until I looked into it, after I bought the guitar. I suspected that was the case when I saw the guitar (because he would never sell it), and his Facebook page (which I never followed) conformed it, as his brother posted the sad news. The seller of the guitar just got it for free when the vultures were going through his stuff. What was I supposed to do? Tell him about it, so he could sell it at an auction and make a killing? He didn't even know my old friend.My old friend actually owed me a lot of money, which was one of the reasons I stopped hanging out with him. Now I got his guitar as reimbursement. It came full circle, this time, for me.

So, in my case, a person died and I ended up buying a guitar for $400 that had previously been owned by one of the Stones. Good deal. There was even some "case candy" in the gig bag pocket. A few sets of used strings that came off of some guitars, each set labeled with a date when the strings had been removed and which guitars the strings cam off of. That alone is probably worth $400 if I can prove which people payed those strings. So, again, in this case good deal.

But the opposite can also happen. A person dies and the people who go through his stuff have no idea that the Fender is a fake. They sell it to an unsuspecting buyer as the real thing. And as I've already explained, in the eyes of the law, that buyer is a victim. This is one reason why it is illegal to build counterfeits.

Just this past week someone brought me a partscaster strat for repair, saying it was a 1963. He is convinced it is an original, I know it's not. The neck might be. He's thinking of selling. He will eventually sell it as the real thing, even if some people tell him it's not a real Fender. Eventually he will find a buyer.

The key word here (in your own words) is the word "most". But some might see it as the real thing.

When Fender builds a Relic they actually stamp the word "RELIC" in the neck pocket and at the heal of the neck. The reason is precisely what we are discussing. They want to make sure that in a few decades from now no one falls victim of a a scam, or even of an unintentional sale.

Let me ask you this. Since this is for your own enjoyment, would you stamp the word "FAKE" in the hidden neck pocket and on the hidden part of the neck heel? The guitar will look the same but that way you will ensure that no one falls victim in the future.

10. bossaholic

11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Good job - looks authentic enough! If it's to be mostly a decoration/conversation piece, the rust on the hardware and electronics is great. If it's a player, you might have to clean some of it up to make sure the tuners and saddles don't seize. Also, those pots looks like they are likely to fail soon, if they haven't already.

It's too overdone for me, but I appreciate your work here!

bossaholic likes this.
  12. NC E30

NC E30 Tele-Meister

That is way cool! I love what you did here.

For the folks complaining about it being a relic, would you rather have those crusty parts on a shiny new body? That would look terrible. He's made something cool out of a box of parts that might have otherwise gone in the bin. If you don't like it, that's ok, move along. No reason to bash it.

bossaholic likes this.
  13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

Gosh, is this law specific to the state or country you live in? I'm not aware of any penal law in my state that makes it a felony to make a replica of a guitar when there is no intent to defraud, or intent to sell.

And I believe that he is using an AllParts neck, which would have a big burned in ALLPARTS LIC. BY FENDER on the heel so that is a small clue that it is a replica.

If his intent was to sell it, or maybe even to use it as collateral for a loan or some other fraud or deception, and it has the Fender logo on it, then it is a trademark counterfeit and then it may be a crime.

bossaholic likes this.
  14. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

bossaholic likes this.
  15. jfgesquire

bossaholic likes this.
  16. Willie Johnson

I was referring to the guy above you making a stink about it, but no (nor am I in NY).

bossaholic and jfgesquire like this.
  17. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Holic

Testors used to have "glosscote" and "dullcote", spray can items. In another hobby, we spray potentially crumbly decals to help prevent them from coming apart; doesn't always work. Other clear fixatives are available (Krylon and others).

bossaholic likes this.
  18. jfgesquire

I do apologize if that was not directed at me, and you said it wasn't and so it ends with my apology.

bossaholic and Willie Johnson like this.
  19. jfgesquire

Testors also had their own decal making kit and sold a spray "decal fixative", which I believe was just clear lacquer.

Another modeling company called micro scale makes a brush on liquid called liquid decal film, when dry it self levels and is water and lacquer proof. This is highly recommended by me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006O9K5G/?tag=tdpri-20

bossaholic likes this.
  20. Willie Johnson

No need for you to apologize at all; I just found the earlier "don't put a sticker on something you own or you'll go to jail" discussion off-putting and ill-informed. I appreciate your input on the issue.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Supergleep and bossaholic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.