My Esquire Relic

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I am not a fan of the relic trend. However, this looks like something that had been neglected, put away, and forgotten for decades. Just the kind of awesome score we all dream about. Kudos on your effort. I had to reread the original post to ensure these parts were not genuine estate sale finds. Congrats!

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Back in the mid 80's and into the early 90's, I began collecting vintage parts. Back then, they were cheap.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::(:(:(:( Why was I not smart enough to do this back then????:(:(:( Oh.... the guitars I passed up on over the decades....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Kudos to you man!!! She looks absolutely stunning! I think it is awesome you had such forsight back then to pick up those old parts when you could. You did quite well!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Been a long time, at least 11 years since my Springsteen Esquire build thread.

Anyway, just wanted to show off my 1951 Esquire Relic made from mostly vintage parts I've collected over the last 35 years.

Back in the mid 80's and into the early 90's, I began collecting vintage parts. Back then, they were cheap. I remember going into a vintage guitar store on Hollywood Blvd in 1990 that had a wall of Broadcasters and other early blackguards. I would go in a just stare at them. The prices were in the $3k range and at the time, I thought was EXPENSIVE.

I bought a bunch of parts from the owner he had in a box. A Broadcaster bridge and Neck pick-up, old capacitors, a few 3-way switches and tele knobs. The pickups were the most expensive at $300 for the pair, a lot of money for me back then.

I would also buy stuff from the classifieds of Guitar Player magazine, like old decals. Back then parts were plentiful and cheap. I still have another vintage Silk Screened Esquire decal that I don't want to use.

Anyway, here is my "1951 Esquire Relic #1010" 30+ years in the making (and it shows lol)

View attachment 906771 View attachment 906772 View attachment 906773 View attachment 906774 View attachment 906775 View attachment 906776 View attachment 906777 View attachment 906778 View attachment 906779 View attachment 906780
Don't worry, man....that'll buff out! ;)
Seriously, that is truly interesting. It's funny, though, that the fingerboard looks like it's been played constantly for 70 years, yet the back of the neck is pristine.
Anyway.....cool guitar. Do you play out? If so, I bet it gets a lot of attention and comments. ;)

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I LOVE everything about this guitar..... but......

the back of the neck. It just doesn't do it for me. With all the wear on the fretboard for the back of the neck to look brand new it just throws me off.

Take some 220 grit and put it in the palm of your hand and play like you are really playing that neck. Do that for about five minutes and when you are done you will see where the neck would naturally wear. Then do your relic job on that and it would be PERFECT.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted

bossaholic

Friend of Leo's
I LOVE everything about this guitar..... but......

the back of the neck. It just doesn't do it for me. With all the wear on the fretboard for the back of the neck to look brand new it just throws me off.

Take some 220 grit and put it in the palm of your hand and play like you are really playing that neck. Do that for about five minutes and when you are done you will see where the neck would naturally wear. Then do your relic job on that and it would be PERFECT.

I completely understand about the back of the neck. I might do what you suggested down the road. Unfortunately no one will see this guitar. Wife and I live alone, kids are gone and really don't get visitors, and I don't gig. :/

peteycaster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Nice work over a long period of time. That would look fantastic hanging on the wall next to some newer finishes.

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
Looks good better than some of the Nash & CS relics
I would get rid of that rust though on the bridge parts it looks good until you go to do a setup and the parts have seized up

Frankentronics

TDPRI Member
Is this now a counterfeit Fender?

Sorry to be on your case, but the headstock logo says Fender and this was not made at the Fender factory. At some point in the future this guitar might be passed on to someone, them sold to an unsuspecting buyer. That's only one reason why it's a felony to reproduce products that are normally manufactured by established manufacturers and placing logos and brand names in the same place the legitimate manufacturers would have done. This practice is called counterfeiting and there are no exceptions for guitars.

Regarding the relic job, it looks very well done, but it also looks fake. Sorry, but that's my honest opinion.

ratdoc

TDPRI Member
Not for me. It's one thing to make a guitar look well used but loved and another to make it look like it was neglected on a trash heap for 50 years...