My dream amp isn't pushing my buttons

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by cheeseman, Dec 11, 2019.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

This.

Crank it up with a music on repeat all day long while you are at work.

Loud.

You need to get that speaker extending

2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I bought a floor model electric blue DRRI in 2010. It came with an Alnico Blue speaker and no doubt had some break in time due to being a demonstrator. It sounds better than I remember my 1966 DR sounding. I attribute this to the speaker. I internally jumped the channels to put them in phase and get rev/trem in the Normal channel. My avatar is a picture of the wiring. An authorize Fender tech said the bias should be -22 volts.

Pick_n_Strum and Crawldaddy like this.
  3. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

That sounds like a lot of caveats for a brand new, legendary amp, or am I missing something? Should a brand new $1000 guitar amp really require 20-30hrs of decently loud playing to sound good?

I'm not saying it's not necessary, I trust you guys, that just kind've blows my mind. I've never had the $$$ to even think about buying a $1000 amp, but I sure would be disappointed if I did and everyone told me it needed 30hrs of play-time before it would sound good lol!

Les H and BB like this.
  4. cheeseman

cheeseman Tele-Meister

I'll have to get a little more creative, as I work from home and it sits beside me at my desk!

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Is it possible you just need some time with the amp? Possibly play it for a while opened up a bit or maybe even have someone else play through it why you listen. Best of luck!

6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Just guessing here, but that beloved amp's beat-to-hell-ness suggests that you like a loosened-up speaker. And the fact that your new DR sounded worse to you when attenuated suggests that it's really struggling to push its speaker. So, yes, the looper-accelerated break-in thing.... Can you also adjust its sag specs while also biasing it hotter?

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Re: your question about biasing a DRRI. Of course one's ears are the ultimate guide, but I'd think something around 65%-70% maximum plate dissipation on those 6V6's would sound pretty good. If it ends up putting out about 425 plate volts, 60% is about 17mA of plate current and 70% is about 19.8 mA of plate current. I'd say go for 18 mA - 19 mA and see how it sounds. And you can also do some tube swapping without voiding the warranty, since you can always just put the old ones back in.

MilwMark, gwjensen and King Fan like this.
  8. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Bias it.....the off the shelf DRRIs are cold.
    I have the aforementioned WGS speaker in mine.Great sound.
    Good luck!

MilwMark, gwjensen, BB and 2 others like this.
  9. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

Garage? Basement? Roadcase?

The studio we sometimes did sessions at, had a Randall 4x12 cab miked inside it's roadcase. Oddly, it's the best sound I ever heard from a Randall.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

What everyone else said.

No amount of speaker break in is going to help if it's biased way cold. It's likely it's biased cold. That's what Fender does to give their imported tubes half a chance.

Bias it at 70%.

Stick an Alessandro GA-SC64 in there.

Try a good used JAN 5751 in V1 or V2, whatever channel you prefer. GE and Sylvania made good 5751 tubes that are still reasonably priced.

11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

How did a DR become your dream amp to begin with? Based on experience playing through one, or based on reading and reviews? Honestly, I would not spend another second on a new amp that I don't like, as it should at least be good from the get-go, and if it's that far off, I would find another make/model that works better. A DR is a great amp, but lots of us don't use them because we have others that, for us, we like more. Having to play-in, break-in, mod, add pedals... is not how using a dream amp should start. There is zero guarantee it will develop in a way you like -- more likely, you'll adapt to it, if you keep it. If speaker break-in were required to make a new amp sound great, no one would ever buy a new amp.

NewKid, stevemc and MilwMark like this.
  12. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

It's not amp dependent, it's the speaker.

If you buy a new head, and pair it with your favorite cab, and it sounds like crap... Time to return it.
    Or start tone chasing the right speaker, in which case... Break in period.

13. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

dumb question, have you tried different guitars? Maybe different types of drive pedals, try throwing an EQ pedal in front of it. Brand new speakers also can take a bit to break in, maybe see if you can find a used one for not too much or put in one from another amp. I’m not sure if swapping tubes will have as dramatic an effect that it sounds like you’re looking for but it couldn’t hurt.

14. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

The Deluxe Reverb is one of the best sounding amps ever.

I don’t have one but it has all of the goods.

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  15. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum TDPRI Member

Speaker upgrade goes a long way on a DRRI. I really like alnico's and wgs et-65 or creamback. The et-65 is my current favorite

16. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

That C12K speaker is what - 80 watts? I don't know what they're thinking putting in such a heavy duty speaker but that takes some real juice + time to break in. I bought a used DRRI that came with a hi-fi woofer somebody stuck in so I replaced it with a Reverend Alltone 1250, then a new Weber 12F150 (MUCH better) and finally a used C12K - not bad but no match for the Weber and it sounded about like you (OP) described it, cold & stiff. I'd try other speakers if available before opening her up. Maybe play some bass through it, or some hi-fi music LOUD to break in that Jensen.

17. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Yeah I get that. I'm just thinking that this is a classic from Fender that they've had decades to perfect. It's just really surprising to me that it doesn't come standard with a speaker that's ready to go out of the box.

Oh well, they obviously know what they're doing!

kookaburra likes this.
  18. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This solution can still work if you set the amp face-down into a carpeted floor and maybe a blanket along the back side (don't smother the heat-making section, unless you want a house-fire)

Double your task by "seasoning" an acoustic guitar, by laying it on top. . .;)

My amps & speakers have always arrived "broken in" by the previous owner.

Peace - Deeve

19. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

I really like that Alessandro speaker - I put one in my bandmate’s 79 deluxe reverb, and it made a world of difference. Also, I’d encourage you to try some different settings on the treble and volume knobs - my princeton reverb sounds great with the eq knobs up pretty high. Whatever you decide, stick with the amp - it’s a good one, and it most likely just needs some time/tweaking to come into its own.

20. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Put 2 of your 16s in parallel?

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.