My depressing open mic pity party.

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
We’ve all had bad performances. It’s how we grow as musicians and as humans. You have a lot of encouragement her but you must do what you think is best for yourself and be at peace with it. But if we all gave up after one bad gig none of us would be here. You’ll sort it out.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Just my 2 cents..

It was an open mike so the crowd wasnt expecting anything. You are being way to hard on yourself, I say step back to the mike next week and have another go at it.

chezdeluxe

Doctor of Teleocity
John you may be doing the exact right thing for you and fine if it is but……You may well still find enjoyment playing out and it may be not as a solo act.

You must always play to your strengths but it’s easy to forget that and get a rush of blood to the head that leads to catastrophe .

I am a really good harp player, slide player and rhythm guitar player but I have to hit myself upside the head to remember not to try to play lead guitar or sing songs that I shouldn’t.

Sometimes we pick songs because we love them and think we should share them with an audience……We shouldn’t unless we have the chops otherwise we will disappoint and depress ourselves.

If you can find songs or ensemble situations that you feel happy with then go ahead …Otherwise hold back and stay cool.

Kenny Rogers said it best in “The Gambler”

Cheers
Gerry

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
When I first started playing out in the 80's, there was a tiny little bar our 3 piece would play on Friday nights. The owner loved us but I was trying to learn to front this band. She paid us every night for about 6/8 months to suck, IMO. She enjoyed us, we worked hard, and eventually got better. It's part of the process, I think.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
No! It's only a blip on a long road, if people liked you that's what counts, so carry on and see what happens.
I want to sell my stuff after seeing any band, but next morning carry on regardless, it's part of learning

chaosman12

Tele-Meister
The experience is still raw. Give yourself a few months before making any decisions or selling off your stuff.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
You're right. Just give up.

I'll never give up playing, that's not quite the same as just not getting up in front of a half-dozen people at a bar on a Friday night.

And I'm NOT selling off all of my musical gear, just the stuff that I have laying around that I don't use anyway.

Ok, as it turns out, I have about as much use for two 100 watt half-stack guitar amps as, as my farmer grandfather would sometimes say, 'a heifer with balls', so at least one of them should 'go'.

Two of my 'extra' guitars have sold in the last two days, I still want to sell at least two more, a Washburn J-600 archtop and a nearly new Squire Telecaster. I also just sold my Shure M55 Series II microphone that I bought a couple years ago...and have never even plugged it in. I always use my Shure M58 when I need a mic.

I'm undecided about selling my, less than one year old, Taylor 500 series 12 string, but to be honest, it gets very little playing time, and I have to question having so much in such a seldom used guitar.

When the dust settles, I'll still own a solid dozen guitars, maybe a few more, and several guitar amps as well.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
John, I saw Tommy Emmanuel play Sunday night here in our great little Opera House, and then I felt like backing a pickup down onto the pier and dumping all my gear into the harbor on the outgoing tide. But, we mere mortals aren't really expected to be the likes of Tommy, we just do our best and enjoy the good moments that also happen along with the 'ugh' moments. I hope when you come down off the half-stack you'll reconsider ... a nice long ride on that Enfield might do the trick.

Winky

Tele-Holic
John, I saw Tommy Emmanuel play Sunday night here in our great little Opera House, and then I felt like backing a pickup down onto the pier and dumping all my gear into the harbor on the outgoing tide. But, we mere mortals aren't really expected to be the likes of Tommy, we just do our best and enjoy the good moments that also happen along with the 'ugh' moments. I hope when you come down off the half-stack you'll reconsider ... a nice long ride on that Enfield might do the trick.
Tommy can have that effect. Recently, someone asked who I'd like to be able play like (in my dreams) and the obvious answer was Tommy. So much skill and virtuosity, but also energy and joy in his playing. No-one gives more, or gets more out of this game than does Tommy.

(If you see his interview with Rick Beato, you get a sense for how hard he works)

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Well - you do what you are going to do -but one bad night doesn't mean much to me - the more I played out I came to the conclusion that sometimes you're the Windshield and sometimes you are the bug - and it doesn't make any difference to people in the audience - unless they are paying large sums of money to see you - and only then it matters when you don't entertain them.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
I'll never give up playing, that's not quite the same as just not getting up in front of a half-dozen people at a bar on a Friday night.

And I'm NOT selling off all of my musical gear, just the stuff that I have laying around that I don't use anyway.

Ok, as it turns out, I have about as much use for two 100 watt half-stack guitar amps as, as my farmer grandfather would sometimes say, 'a heifer with balls', so at least one of them should 'go'.

Two of my 'extra' guitars have sold in the last two days, I still want to sell at least two more, a Washburn J-600 archtop and a nearly new Squire Telecaster. I also just sold my Shure M55 Series II microphone that I bought a couple years ago...and have never even plugged it in. I always use my Shure M58 when I need a mic.

I'm undecided about selling my, less than one year old, Taylor 500 series 12 string, but to be honest, it gets very little playing time, and I have to question having so much in such a seldom used guitar.

When the dust settles, I'll still own a solid dozen guitars, maybe a few more, and several guitar amps as well.
When I sell something, I find it hard to sit on a chunk of money for too long - the eye starts to wander over guitar and drum ads and I start fooling myself that I should pick up another amp just in case Eric Clapton calls over for a jam..
You're right tho; use it or lose it.

Cowdog

TDPRI Member
After a particularly painful open mic experience last night, I came to the conclusion that I am unable to participate in these sorts of things, and come away from them feeling that I let myself down in my performance, did not have anything resembling fun in any manner, and no matter how much I practice at home, I repeatedly suck when it counts to not suck.

I did four songs, blew two of them by forgetting lyrics that I've done flawless at home innumerable times, muffed some ridiculously common chords, and did it all to a handful of uninterested people.

The host wanted me to get back up and do a couple more, but I was too deflated by then to want to do it again, so I picked up my toys and went home.

The peripheral damage from this, is that when I got home I told 'Trixie' that I will not do another open mic, ever, and that I was going to sell off 90% of my musical gear, mostly guitars, amps, and a few misc items (unused Shure M55 series II microphone, etc.).

I will keep all of my remaining, useless, Backlund guitar wall-hangers, of course, but every other guitar that I have, except for my old telecaster, Kala thin body electric classical, and my 120 watt Boss acoustic amp that I run them both through, are going bye-bye, and listed on a local Facebook musician page this morning.

So far, I've sold my Epiphone Swingster and Gretsch resonator, with interest in several others 'percolating'.

It's going to be a musical instrument selloff blood bath...the purge has begun.

I have little interest in selling this stuff off on the internet, but in some cases, will undoubtedly have to, but I am unwilling to sell and ship very heavy items such as 100 watt half-stack amps, which I have two of. And I would not be at all comfortable shipping my $3000 (new price) Taylor 500 series 12 string, so I will just keep reducing it's price until it goes locally. I have it starting at $1800, but will almost certainly have to take a severe 'bath' on it to get it out of the house.

I truly feel that I will be relieved by unloading as much crap as I can.

And no more public playing, ever.
After a particularly painful open mic experience last night, I came to the conclusion that I am unable to participate in these sorts of things, and come away from them feeling that I let myself down in my performance, did not have anything resembling fun in any manner, and no matter how much I practice at home, I repeatedly suck when it counts to not suck.

I did four songs, blew two of them by forgetting lyrics that I've done flawless at home innumerable times, muffed some ridiculously common chords, and did it all to a handful of uninterested people.

The host wanted me to get back up and do a couple more, but I was too deflated by then to want to do it again, so I picked up my toys and went home.

The peripheral damage from this, is that when I got home I told 'Trixie' that I will not do another open mic, ever, and that I was going to sell off 90% of my musical gear, mostly guitars, amps, and a few misc items (unused Shure M55 series II microphone, etc.).

I will keep all of my remaining, useless, Backlund guitar wall-hangers, of course, but every other guitar that I have, except for my old telecaster, Kala thin body electric classical, and my 120 watt Boss acoustic amp that I run them both through, are going bye-bye, and listed on a local Facebook musician page this morning.

So far, I've sold my Epiphone Swingster and Gretsch resonator, with interest in several others 'percolating'.

It's going to be a musical instrument selloff blood bath...the purge has begun.

I have little interest in selling this stuff off on the internet, but in some cases, will undoubtedly have to, but I am unwilling to sell and ship very heavy items such as 100 watt half-stack amps, which I have two of. And I would not be at all comfortable shipping my $3000 (new price) Taylor 500 series 12 string, so I will just keep reducing it's price until it goes locally. I have it starting at $1800, but will almost certainly have to take a severe 'bath' on it to get it out of the house.

I truly feel that I will be relieved by unloading as much crap as I can.

And no more public playing, ever.
I don’t remember who recorded it, maybe Waylon, but there’s an old song “If you ain’t bombed in Birmingham then you ain’t one of us”. Best and worst experiences in my life were on the bandstand. The only thing you owe your audience is to do the best performance you can possibly give at any given time and if you take your concentration off what your doing and think about anything else, audience other musicians what people are thinking barmaids, anything other than 100% on the performance you are shorting yourself and your audience.
Cheers
Don’t give up it wasn’t a venue that could make or break anyone’s career

Painter644

Tele-Meister
I'm overreacting to a lot of bad nights. ;)
Maybe. But, there are many who are worse but will still insult the craft and the art, and they and others will think they’re just peachy keen because they are willing to embarrass themselves publicly. That’s what passes…

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Just remember, no matter how good you are at singing, and or playing, there will always be a large number of folks right here on the BD that will criticize you absolutely free of charge!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
9ED198AA-D91A-4284-9618-46949C3C95BD.jpeg

These are the Three Amigos. They are a set and very nice playing guitars. I considered putting the Stratocaster up for sale this weekend but I just can’t do it. I consider it a good decision.

TCA117

Tele-Meister
Just a thought, find a girl to do the singing while you do the strumming.
That left / right brain thing ain't easy.
Life's too short to give up...