My de-cruiser-ized 1200 Sportster...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Aug 26, 2019.

1. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Great colors on that bike.

I'm right there with you not liking forward controls and low, no travel rear ends. I'm not a big fan of the front tire, I'm thinking it'd turn in even better with something more fnuctional and less fashionable?

I've been threatening to buy a Harley for decades, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

John Backlund likes this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Nice bike and nice changes. This from someone that rode hard tail Pan Heads with suicide shift for many years
    I’d love to get another bike but with our roads and drivers it’s almost a death wish

3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I love the look guys, but just don't bring them to Nashville "the melting pot of crazy ass drivers."

It ain't safe for even a police cruiser here.

4. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've never had highway pegs on any of my motorcycles, and I've never added engine guards to a bike that didn't already have them as an integral part of the bike, such as a Goldwing, etc.

Four of our five motorcycles are very much locally ridden only bikes, almost never exceeding about a sixty mile radius from home, so there isn't much need for touring-oriented accessories.

And when we want to go two-up, or far away, we have the Goldwing.

Nubs likes this.
  5. John Backlund

Oops!, forgot the Kawasaki.
    IMG_20181210_164950799.jpg

rz350, Deeve and SuprHtr like this.
  6. John Backlund

48 degrees this morning in Deadwood...
    IMG_20190828_065807667_HDR~2.jpg
    Yuh just hafta dress for it...
    IMG_20190828_082156344_HDR~2.jpg

Tony474, awasson, djh22 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Nice shot of Deadwood. I remember being there for the 2016 rally. The whole area is very scenic and fantastic motorcycle riding for miles.

One of these years we'll get back there for the rally. It's too nice of an area to stay away!

8. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Stay safe and enjoy the ride!

9. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Nice one! Get more weight over the front wheel. I've got an 883R that I put taller shocks and lower bars on and it's much better on the twisties - which is all we have in Wales.

10. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I have always loved the Sportsters but keep talking myself out of getting one because while they are cheap up front, I just don't want to invest the time or money to get it 'just right' at this point.

Here's a shot of my last one:
    [​IMG]

Wallo Tweed, rz350, awasson and 2 others like this.
  11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Great mods! If you can't ride comfortably what's the point? After I broke my spine and my neck comfort became priority #1. Very nice bikes!

12. natec

natec TDPRI Member

Agree with all the other kudos on this thread. I've added progressive shocks to a few bikes (although not a HD) and worth every penny. At some point perhaps consider upgrading the front set as well.

As far as the foot controls - bringing them back will help your hips/back tremendously on longer rides. Much better ergos.

Stay safe.

13. John Backlund

It's as tall in the rear as it's going to get with the new 13.5 Progressive shocks I put on it about a week ago. It sits level now, and doesn't have that ass-dragging look almost all recent Sportsters are inflicted with.

The difference between the crappy, 2.12 inch travel shocks it came with, and the new 13.5 inch ones...
    IMG_20190817_183503272_HDR.jpg

I like the stock bars, but I'm not too crazy about the risers they're mounted and in, but it's ok. With the new shocks, and the mid foot-controls I now have on it, I'll probably not do anything else with this bike. When I get the urge to get a bit 'racy', I'll just take the the Thruxton R.
    IMG_20190828_082820604_HDR.jpg

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I went the opposite in my old 883. Went 11" rear Shocks, 6º and wide fork. Forward controls and dragbar. I loved that bike

But then I got a Dyna and never looked back

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  15. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

That's quite the stable! What is that over by the Lawn Tractor? I am sort of down to one bike (a Kawasaki Concours) but my wife has been talking about trading her Versys for something 'cooler'. We've talked Sportsters and I almost got a 1970 CB750 a couple weeks ago (someone else beat me there). Strangely she was the one pushing for the CB so maybe I'll start looking more seriously.

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I am on permanent sabbatical from motorcycles. After riding for over 30 years without getting hurt I decided to quite while I'm ahead (partly because my wife
    really pushed me to do so). But if I were to get a motorcycle I would definitely go for a bike that provides a "standard position". It's nice to see that the
    motorcycle industry is now offering lots of standard bikes. For a long time it was either racing bike position or cruiser position with almost no standards on offer.

I don't know if it's because the target demographic is getting older (and therefore more practical), but it's nice to see way more standard bikes available today.

My very first motorcycle, purchased used in 1982, was a late 70s Honda CB450- standard position. Here's a photo from the Interwebs of what my bike was like--- mine was just like
    this but in the brown/gold color rather than red/gold--

upload_2019-8-28_13-36-34.png

Tony474 and John Backlund like this.
  17. John Backlund

2017 Moto-Guzzi V7III Special...
    IMG_20181028_175746454.jpg

Tony474 likes this.
  18. John Backlund

Trixie rode my Sportster up to Deadwood this afternoon and met me for lunch.
    IMG_20190828_150040604_HDR.jpg

rz350 likes this.
  19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Main thing about the increased rear ride height is that it steepens the head angle by a degree or two and reduces trail accordingly, thus improving the handling. My guess is that the machine now feels more willing to tip into curves and corners.

I've never owned a Harley, though I did take a serious look at a used Dyna Sport Glide with extensive tuning mods back in the earlier 2000s, before finally settling on the Yamaha Bulldog that I've just parted with after 15 excellent years of ownership from new. Harleys do have a following here, but I wasn't sure of how well it would suit British roads and conditions.

Anyway, well done once again and keep the rubber side down!

20. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

The target demographic is getting younger, but the buyers keep getting older.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.