My Dad: "Don't Put Down The Honky Tonks"

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Arlo, May 19, 2007.

1. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

My father Don West is a musician and a song writer. He is almost 70 now but can still pick and sing like he was 20.

One album my father recorded back in the early 70's was called "14 Carat Gold" or "Nashville Today" as he likes to call it. He recorded it at the legendary Hilltop studios in Nashville. The legendary Jack "Hoss" Linneman (George Jones, Cowboy Copas, Red Sovine and many others of that era.) produced and played on the album. A really great bunch of studio musicians and it is evident on this album.

[​IMG]

As a kid growing up we listened to this album constantly and it has a good amount of scratches and crackle pop on the vinyl. I did a mild removal but you will hear a few still.

I asked him if he would like me to post a song for you all to listen to and he said absolutely so here is my dad doing a Charlie Walker classic.

"Don't Put Down The Honky Tonks"

"The Ballad of Moosehead Lake"

Here is an original of my Dad's pretty funny little song about making home brew (which my grandmother and grandfather Mavis and Eddie used to do) and what happens when the batch was a little to strong. The song does have some truth to it according to Dad. I guess they made a batch that was way to strong once and it blew up and left a little crater in the ground out back where they buried it to age. ;) it was the inspiration to write this song!!

2. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

I LOVE that Moosehead Lake tune! my grandad lived next to an orchard in Rifton NY and he made apllejack in a 10 gallon still in his garage! never had any explosions but the potential was certainly there! my first experience with alcohol happened in the woods behind his house with my cousins and a bottle we stole from his basement!

3. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Right on Arlo. You must be very proud of your dad...

Thanks for posting.

BBB.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

that was some hot steel. very cool brother Arlo. Your Dad has it!

5. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys, Dad will be glad to hear his music is still appreciated.
    Here is a great picture of Jack, Dad and Rose (my fathers second wife who had a great voice by the way)

Dig that Neve console! Man would I love to have that thing in my studio!! No wonder this album had such a great sound. I only wished I could get my hands on a pristine copy so I could re master it.

[​IMG]

GUITAR - Wayde Phillips, Al Gore and Jerry Shook
    STEEL - Jeff Newman and Weldon Myrick
    BASS - Billy Linneman (stand up bass)
    DRUMS - Paul Sharon
    PIANO - Jerry Smith

Some great Nashville cats!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

Arlo you've just been dethroned. You are now my 2nd fave your pa is now the king.

7. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

;) He has the same ranking in my book Stuh!

Last edited: May 19, 2007
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.