My Cover of Merry Christmas Everybody with Video

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Pixie-Bob, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

“So here it is Merry Christmas everybody’s having fun, look to the future now it’s only just begun”

By any standard, 1973 was not a great year, but as it came to a close - Slade, a Glam-Rock band from Birmingham (England) told us to Look to the future. The song, Merry Xmas Everybody was released on the UK singles chart on 7 December 1973 and became the UK’s number one for christmas of that year. Within the first week of release, the single had sold 500,000 copies and remained in the chart until February 1974.

Today is the 46th anniversary of the song’s release and this is my cover of it. The excellent sound-alike vocals were sourced from karaoke-version - everything else was made by me. Slade’s original recording featured two guitars, I’ve added one more - a Strat.

Bass - Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass

Guitar (Left) - Yamaha SG2000

Guitar (Right Verses) - Gibson Les Paul Standard

Guitar (Right Choruses) - Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (wearing a Jeff Beck loaded pickguard)

Drums - Native Instruments Abbey Road 1970s Drums

Piano - Native Instruments The Grandeur

Harmonium - Synapse Audio DUNE 3

Amplifier - Fender Bassbreaker 15 Head - Palmer PG-04 (load box) - Mackie Interface

Reverb - Eventide SP2018

DAW - Apple Logic 10.4.7

Mastering by LANDR

And yes, there’s a video where you get to see yours truly - not attempting to look “Glam” in any way (shirt by Paul Smith, hair by the barber in Palmers Green, London). As far as I know, the song was not released in North America, so here’s a chance for you guys over there to catch up.

The audio version on Soundcloud is a bit louder.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Cool!

Thanks I’ve never heard this song:)

Another one you guys in the U.K have that never made it over here is “fairytale of New York” by the pogues which I just discovered a couple years ago and make it an annual tradition to listen to it a couple times around Christmas

Matt Dillon actually has a cameo in the “fairytale” video

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Pixie-Bob likes this.
  3. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

I could never cover the Pogues, the volume of alcohol required would be lethal.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Wouldn't visit Wolverhampton anytime soon if I was you.....

5. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

Yes, point taken. I don't suppose I'd get away with saying that Wolverhampton is a suburb of Birmingham? No, even worse.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.