My Converse All Stars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Apr 22, 2011.

1. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I can tell you that growing up in the country mowing was a central part of life. When you have acreage you end up mowing all day. I loved it and got paid to do neighbors properties.

Now I live in the city and it takes longer to get my mower out of the basement then to mow the postage stamp yard. lol
    However, it's still an all day affair at my mom's house.

2. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I think that they're comfortable. Diff'rent strokes....

3. whoisalhedges

whoisalhedges Tele-Meister

I've got a pair of deep goldenrod Chucks from the '60s that I bought, unworn, in their original box (with case candy ;) ) some 20 years ago for $5. I wore them plenty in high school and college -- more of a now and then thing these days, but they're still comfortable (even with my 36-year-old fallen arches) and have never so much as popped a stitch.

My kids have destroyed new pairs in a couple of months.

So yeah -- they're fine shoes in resale shops, not new off the shelves.

4. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

I think they may have changed something again. I bought 4 pair a couple months ago from their site, and all are uncomfortable. They're all too either to narrow on the sides or too squished at the toe. I would've returned them but I didn't even try them on until the weather got better. Lesson learned, I guess.

5. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

Tread of choioce for years (high-tops) now they kill my feet. Tread of choice now Wolverine laceups and Ropers ... much more compfy and support.

Damn, I'm old ...

6. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

Why would anyone pay anything for any of their other articles of attire? $40 for a pair of shoes is not that bad. Sure they were much cheaper 'back then', but 'back then' is now 'now'. Looks plays a big role in what we buy, obviously. I think they are extremely comfortable shoes.

Low top All Stars are the bee's knees :cool:

7. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I buy imitation Low-tops. They cost about 1/4 trhe price, look identical to the real deal (except they are unbranded) and are the same quality as the current Cons in my experience.

8. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

You wouldn't say that to an Indian wearing moccasins, would you? :lol::twisted:

As stated in another thread, I grew up in 'em. I work on my feet -bartender- and I've never had a problem with my feet or back.

9. geardaddy

geardaddy Tele-Holic

I think that they're comfortable. Diff'rent strokes....

same here...i'm pretty sure i've worn them every day of my life for the last 20+ years, and have played futbol, tennis, racquetball, golf, and even jai alai in them, and they don't hurt me a bit...

yeah, i know they're not optimal athletic shoes, but i don't really care - nearly all athletic shoes are horrid, hideous, and usually obnoxious looking...

i do consider myself lucky that they feel great, because i will never ever buy a pair of new balance-types...too dorky!

as i mentioned in another thread, i will have some adidas sambas someday soon...

i suppose i'd better say that this is just my opinion - no offense to the uh, aforementioned new balance folks:p

p.s. my last pair of hemp lowtops last almost 6 years of everyday wear - i'm not making this up!

10. geardaddy

geardaddy Tele-Holic

i know a guy who is also a big proponent of nonverse, but the real things last me a long, long time, so i ain't changin'...

11. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

On a similar note...I realized that what I thought were Converse that I used to wear as kid, were actually Pro-Keds. This revalation came to me thanks to Joan Jett's Album cover. I can't post the pics in here because I have no where to save at work, but follow the links:

http://daily-songs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Joan_Jett.jpg

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/105/8/AAAAC7MrqMgAAAAAAQWEmg.jpg?v=1289532387000

So yes, I distinctly remember having the red/blue stripe in the side, and I think I even had them in red too...but not high tops :(
    I wonder if those are still comfy today? May have to check 'em out.

12. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

I've owned 5-6 pair. My first were made in USA in 2000. They have outlasted all my Asian produced pairs since then. The heels blow out, the rubber rim cracks down the side, the sole layers spill out and the toes blow routinely within 2 years. Granted, they aren't the most high tech shoes but Chucks are an icon. Seems like they could get it right for something like the telecaster of shoes. I bought a pair last week and returned them yesterday because the quality was so shabby. Also, since production moved overseas the shoes stink! It smells like a chemical plant on my feet. I just can't have that.

For a while I would buy the plain white pairs and boil them in a large pot with 4-5 tea bags to fade the color, break in the rubber, and reduce the nasty smell. I would also put arch supports in the shoes because they wreak havoc on your feet after so many years.

There are alternatives that are made in USA, sweatshop free, and quality. I'll be looking to these companies in the future for my canvas shoe needs.

13. telegraphic

telegraphic TDPRI Member

The irony is that most athletic related injuries have surged with the invention of the modern running shoe. Over priced and super supportative shoes actually do more harm to your feet than good. It may feel nice at the start, but that comfort causes the muscles in your feet and legs to weaken. Think about it, if you don't work out you lose muscle mass. Why would your feet be any different? I can walk all day in chucks and feel fine, but two hours in an expensive pair of shoes and my back, legs, and feet are killing me. But, then again I'm no doctor, just a photographer who likes to run around barefoot.

14. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

For those of you lamenting the fact that the "Chinese Chucks" aren't the same quality or comfort level as the old US ones, I have two words for you:

--> Pro Keds <--

[​IMG]

I was a long time Chuck's user too, but when I discovered the new Chucks weren't as comfortable or durable as the old ones, like J-man, I switched to the cheap knock-offs.

It was kind of a happy accident that I found the Pro Keds. Pro Keds are much better quality than the new Chucks (or their imitators), and they are more comfortable too. I don't think the Pro Keds are made in the US either, but they are better than the new Chucks, and cost less too.

Try on a pair the next time you're shopping for sneaks... I was glad I did.

15. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Which undoubtedly has nothing to do with the shoes and everything to do with the exponential increase in the popularity of running as a form of exercise.

16. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I still have my pair I bought, I think, in 2003. While they're dirty as hell, they're still holding together and broken in perfectly. It's kind of amazing that they're still going strong. Hopefully they'll last a little longer because those new Chinese ones look really cheap.

Chucks are comfy depending on how you use them. If you're going to be walking around all day, or going to a standing room only concert or something, they're pretty bad. But for normal day to day use I think they're still really comfy. They're also great driving shoes.

17. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Undoubtedly is probably not strictly accurate; there's debate on the issue.

I'm not planning on running barefoot on pavement in the near future (or ever, really), but it seems obvious to me that strengthening the foot and ankle has to be a good thing in the long term - assuming you can avoid injury in the short term.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Chuck's are the Telecaster of Tennis shoes.
    An original design that has held-up over the ages.
    Wear the Vintage, Modified, Imported, it don't matter.
    They are still Chuck's!

I save mine for special occasions.
    Might break'em out tonight. Playing at a club that has a rock-a-billy theme to it.
    Chuck's, Black Levi's and, my flamed bowling shirt.

Can't wear them too often. My poor, old, feet just can't take it like they used to.

~ ST

19. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Love my Chucks. When I was a poor kid on the farm oh so many years ago, they were my track shoes. Got a new pair for Christmas, they feel pretty good to me, must have got lucky.

20. Heavyweek

Heavyweek Tele-Meister

I had a pair of them back in the early 90s, possibly the most uncomfortable pair of shoes ever, shortly followed by my 14 hole Doc Martens.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.