My computer keeps losing sound

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Califiddler, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I am running Windows 7. This problem just started over the last month. Whenever I am watching YouTube, etc., the sound will completely drop out after a minute or so. I have to click on the little speaker icon at the bottom of the screen, turn the sound on and off a few times, work the volume slider up and down a few times, etc. until the sound comes back on. Then a couple minutes later it does the same thing again.

Any idea what could be going on or how to fix this?

Thank you!

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

My iPad was doing that on youtube for a couple weeks. Id just reboot and it was ok like a clogged cache or something. I fell asleep last night listening to a book and it ran 7hrs without a glitch. No sound would wake me. LOL
    I think the sound stops were a youtube problem not our problem.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Find the manufacturer of your sound card and update to the latest drivers.

Another possibility might be the browser you are using. Try Chrome if you don't already have it.

Most big-brand computers have some sort of diagnostics software installed on them. Run the sound card tests to see if that picks something up.

Does this only happen with YouTube? Or does this happen with other things as well? Because it might be a browser plug-in issue as well, or a virus.

ZackyDog and xafinity like this.
  4. Califiddler

Well, I ran an antivirus program and it found and deleted one item of malware, but that didn't fix the issue. Where do I look to find the sound card manufacturer?

5. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Right click on my computer, click device manager, click on sound device and it will be there.

6. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

A heat expansion issue, maybe.
    On-board sound or a sound card? If it's a sound card, make sure it's seated in its slot correctly - remove and refit. If the problem remains, troubleshoot by removing it and disabling its driver in Device Manager. Then I'd plug your speaker cable or headphones into the motherboard socket (green) and see if you have sound. If so, I'd suggest you need a new sound card.

7. Califiddler

Forgot to mention that this is a laptop. Don’t know if that makes any difference. I had the computer search the internet for drivers and it said that they are up to date, even though they are from 2011.

8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Are you using outboard speakers?

If so, you may need to get some electrical contact cleaner and check all connections.

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Laptop will be a chip. Could very well be heat related. Maybe the small motherboard cooling fan has failed.
    Is it failing both with the onboard speakers and headphone jack? If both I would look to the chip or fan, if only one than probably a connection issue.

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Have you tried to see if the same problem happens if you play a cd or dvd?
    if all works fine then this elinates your sound card as the culprit,
    if the problem exsisits with the CD or DVD then its internal it could be a corrupt driver , or an overheated pc board and some internal maintenance is required.
    if the issue only happens on youtube then its a youtube issue.

xafinity likes this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm going to suggest something evil and wrong, but it might just be the solution.

Upgrade to Windows 10.

12. Califiddler

It’s not just YouTube. It does it when I try to watch a video on a news site, or videos embedded in Facebook, that kind of thing. I think it does it both with Chrome and Firefox. I will try CD’s and DVDs, and also just listening to music in iTunes, to see if there’s a difference between audio with video and audio alone. Will also try headphones vs. speakers. Thank you to all!

13. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

It might be the auto control that's been put in for communication software which reduces the volume of everything else by 80%..apparently that's helpful for some weird folks..

Anyway, go here..
    ..go to the last tab (I think) and there'll be a 'do nothing' options to choose when a communication device is started..if indeed that is the issue..good luck if not!!!

14. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Dial up?

15. Califiddler

OK, apparently this is a speakers-only issue. When I listen on headphones I don't have the issue. Also, when I listen on speakers and the sound drops out, if I start to insert the headphone plug into the headphone jack, then remove it, the sound through the speakers works fine again.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

17. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

My ancient IBM Thinkpad lost its sound card toward the end of its life. I got another years service by using a $3.00 USB soundcard. Bizarely it took the fuctionality of the builtin sound and did very well. It was an ugly wart on the side of the Thinkpad but as it was always stationary anyway it didnt matter. Its worth a try just to see if your soundcard is at fault. You must choose USB sound in settings.
    USB 2.0 External balanced To 3D VIRTUAL 5.1 Channel Audio PC Sound Card Adapter
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=252526432756

upload_2017-10-22_17-36-0.png

18. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

sound issues on laptops can be a number of things.

I've seen banner ads on websites hog a lot of resources and that sort of thing can manifest in sound drop out.

Any background programs can eat up resources as well...scheduled virus scans can cause this....more so if your brother in law installed all his wizzbang apps he found on the internet.

Try cleaning up unused programs that may be idling in the background. Or at least have them turned off at startup.

Check your browser add ons. They can get installed/enabled by accident so it's a good idea to look in there and disable what you don't need.

If everything else fails. Grab all your files and then do a factory reset. That should fix you up.

19. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

• Those 1/8th speaker leads are dirt cheap. Ist substitute another cord try to figure if its the plug or jack. Jack might be dirty like a guitar jack gets. Work the plug in and out a dozen times. Make sure there is not too much plastic on one end or other preventing FULL & DEEP INSERTION!:cool:

20. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

I have seen that problem years ago on an ibook PowerPC!. I just kept a plug around to stick in the jack as it seemed to be a driver issue that no one was going to fix (linux ppc extending the life of an old ibook). More than likely as you are running Windows 7 updates put a driver in that was tested for Windows 10. Go to the manufacturers website and get the original driver and re install it and see if that works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.