My college rig has finally come together!

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I've been preparing for this for a while now. It wasn't an easy decision and I had to leave a lot of stuff behind, but I think these are the essentials for me.

First, the hardest choice was which two guitars to bring. I eventually settled on these, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Kramer Ferrington. It basically came down to me asking which guitars would be best for using on stage at a new church, and I just had to go with the Kramer for its acoustic electric ability.

For audio equipment, I chose the Two Notes Torpedo Captor X and the MAudio Duo, mainly because they were the cheapest yet most reliable equipment I could get my hands on. They'll come in handy when I need to practice silently, or when I need to record.

For pedals, I took my basic pedalboard that I've been using for a while now. Boss TU-2 into EHX Memory Boy, and then into a Behringer reverb pedal. From there, it goes into a heavily modified EHX LPB-2 (LPB-1 in pedal form). From there, the signal hits a Caline EQ that I mainly use for a boost for lead parts, and then into a Sunn Model T preamp pedal. Basically, the only overdrive is coming from double boosting my signal into a MOSFET preamp. The Sunn by itself is very Marshall-y, but when double boosted, it can get into serious metal tones.

The pedalboard is going into my most recent acquisition, a Peavey PA200. I chose this because it has built-in spring reverb and a master volume, so if I need to ditch the Behringer reverb for a fully analog sound, I can, and if I need an edge of breakup sound from the preamp, I have that too. Peavey distortion is really underrated. This is tasteful, but when boosted, super aggressive too. It sounds great clean or distorted, and is the perfect pedal platform while still having enough character for me to like it without pedals. In case I pick up bass, it'll be great for that too.

The cab was recently thrown together, and when I get to Atlanta, I'm gonna get an Eminence Texas Heat or a Delta Pro 12" speaker. I just need something that can handle the Peavey if I go on a gig or something. I chose not to get one yet because I don't think it could survive a 14 hour road trip bouncing around in my minivan.

This (and having increased my bank account from 200 to 3k) is the culmination of 1 year of constant trading, buying, and selling, and I'm really happy with how everything turned out.

Attachments

• 20220810_175111.jpg
    20220810_175111.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220810_175135.jpg
    20220810_175135.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220810_175129.jpg
    20220810_175129.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220810_175118.jpg
    20220810_175118.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220810_175124.jpg
    20220810_175124.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 130

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
Nice set up! Where are going to college? What are you studying? When I was in college I had a Ramirez classical, Gibson J45 and an HSS Strat that I had heavily modified. Effects pedals were a revolving door. Covered pretty much all I needed.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Don’t freak but one guitar is a righty and the other is a lefty.
I still have my Ferrington. Those were long hair everywhere back in the day. The necks were really fast.

johnb

Tele-Meister
I've been preparing for this for a while now. It wasn't an easy decision and I had to leave a lot of stuff behind, but I think these are the essentials for me.

First, the hardest choice was which two guitars to bring. I eventually settled on these, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Kramer Ferrington. It basically came down to me asking which guitars would be best for using on stage at a new church, and I just had to go with the Kramer for its acoustic electric ability.

For audio equipment, I chose the Two Notes Torpedo Captor X and the MAudio Duo, mainly because they were the cheapest yet most reliable equipment I could get my hands on. They'll come in handy when I need to practice silently, or when I need to record.

For pedals, I took my basic pedalboard that I've been using for a while now. Boss TU-2 into EHX Memory Boy, and then into a Behringer reverb pedal. From there, it goes into a heavily modified EHX LPB-2 (LPB-1 in pedal form). From there, the signal hits a Caline EQ that I mainly use for a boost for lead parts, and then into a Sunn Model T preamp pedal. Basically, the only overdrive is coming from double boosting my signal into a MOSFET preamp. The Sunn by itself is very Marshall-y, but when double boosted, it can get into serious metal tones.

The pedalboard is going into my most recent acquisition, a Peavey PA200. I chose this because it has built-in spring reverb and a master volume, so if I need to ditch the Behringer reverb for a fully analog sound, I can, and if I need an edge of breakup sound from the preamp, I have that too. Peavey distortion is really underrated. This is tasteful, but when boosted, super aggressive too. It sounds great clean or distorted, and is the perfect pedal platform while still having enough character for me to like it without pedals. In case I pick up bass, it'll be great for that too.

The cab was recently thrown together, and when I get to Atlanta, I'm gonna get an Eminence Texas Heat or a Delta Pro 12" speaker. I just need something that can handle the Peavey if I go on a gig or something. I chose not to get one yet because I don't think it could survive a 14 hour road trip bouncing around in my minivan.

This (and having increased my bank account from 200 to 3k) is the culmination of 1 year of constant trading, buying, and selling, and I'm really happy with how everything turned out.
We will welcome you to Atlanta.
To buy a speaker check out Audio Lab and Andrews Amp Lab. They are great sources.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
Don’t freak but one guitar is a righty and the other is a lefty.
I still have my Ferrington. Those were long hair everywhere back in the day. The necks were really fast.
Yeah, I'm a lefty. I redid the nut on the Ferrington to make it playable for me. The cutaway isn't in my favor, but as I see it, if I were to get a dreadnought, I'd have even worse access to the 19th fret than I do now. It is a super fast neck, and it's really fun to play.

It's actually an early 1st gen model, its one of the first 2500 made. Made in 1985, and it has the back-mounted strap button instead of the later (late 85/early 86 onwards) horn mounted lock. That makes it so much easier for me to play, and I don't have to drill any more holes.

Recently got a Martin D12-2832 but decided to take the Ferrington, as it's less likely to get stolen from my dorm (worse name recognition).

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
Nice set up! Where are going to college? What are you studying? When I was in college I had a Ramirez classical, Gibson J45 and an HSS Strat that I had heavily modified. Effects pedals were a revolving door. Covered pretty much all I needed.
I'm going to Georgia Tech to study Mechanical Engineering. Super excited and also super worried, haha. Gonna be hard for sure

I wonder how I'm gonna solve the revolving door instrument problem that I have. I buy and sell stuff, so at any given point I'm getting rid of some amp/guitar/pedal for a different one. With space constraints, that's gonna be a lot harder. I also do amp tech work, so it might get even more crowded.

Goodness, a J45, your roommates must have been jealous. I sure know I would be. How did it sound? I've always been partial to Epiphone Texans, Gibson Doves, and Gibson Hummingbirds myself. Not much of a Martin or Taylor guy, its Gibson all the way for me.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
My college rig comprised of a crappy Line 6 1x12, my seven string, and a Metal Zone to compress/shape my absolutely horrible, yet fun tones even further. The roommates did not like it, but I loved every second.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Dang, I had an all black Ferrington back when they were released. The neck was impossible fast, and the unplugged acoustic sound was awful.

I traded it for an Ibanez Artist 12 string.
Which I later traded for a Dunlop Rotovibe.
Which I traded for...er...something....

But I digress.

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
I'm going to Georgia Tech to study Mechanical Engineering. Super excited and also super worried, haha. Gonna be hard for sure

I wonder how I'm gonna solve the revolving door instrument problem that I have. I buy and sell stuff, so at any given point I'm getting rid of some amp/guitar/pedal for a different one. With space constraints, that's gonna be a lot harder. I also do amp tech work, so it might get even more crowded.

Goodness, a J45, your roommates must have been jealous. I sure know I would be. How did it sound? I've always been partial to Epiphone Texans, Gibson Doves, and Gibson Hummingbirds myself. Not much of a Martin or Taylor guy, its Gibson all the way for me.

Congrats on getting into Tech, no easy feat. One of the best engineering schools in the world. There's a cool burger spot called The Varsity close to campus. Used to be the hangout spot for students, not sure anymore.

One thing you may want to consider is dorm insurance. I think the company is called Grad Guard? Basically covers theft, damage, etc for a small premium. Check it out.

The J45 has a very mellow sound, and is nice for strumming and singing. Mine was an early 60's model that my grandfather loaned me while I was in college. That guitar is missing now unfortunately.

Have a great time at Tech. Cheers!

Last edited:

johnb

Tele-Meister
Georgia Tech? I have a good friend, and fellow guitar player, that teaches design engineering there.
Message me and I will give you his name. One of his class projects a few years ago was building guitars based on the Telecaster.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
You must be the youngest member.
Oh yeah. I get that a lot. I actually know a younger member. He's 16 and he's my luthier. I'm hopeless with wood and he's hopeless with electronics, and he's great with wood and I'm great with electronics, so we help each other out a lot. It also helps that we live 5 mins from each other. He mainly sticks to the pickups forum though.