nickhofen

Friend of Leo's
To day i cut a dust shoe dor the cnc, i cut ot from some scrap acrilic and plastic i have in hand.
I order not to melt the acrilic i spray some wd40 between passes. The result is good, but I think I don't like the idea of mdf as spoilboard material. You can see in the photos why.
Maybe a cheap plastic will be be more handy as a spoilboard for cutting while you have to use fluids.
IMG_20220420_184353.jpg
IMG_20220420_184807.jpg
IMG_20220420_191644.jpg

adirondak5

Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire
Nick , I use what is called a zero flute bit to cut acrylic , cuts clean and does not melt the acrylic but you need the speeds and feeds set properly . Best part is no liquids needed to keep things cool so MDF spoil board doesn't get messed up .
zero flute bits

nickhofen

Friend of Leo's
Nick , I use what is called a zero flute bit to cut acrylic , cuts clean and does not melt the acrylic but you need the speeds and feeds set properly . Best part is no liquids needed to keep things cool so MDF spoil board doesn't get messed up .
zero flute bits
Wow, I didn't know that bits like that exist!
Now I have to purchase some.😁
Thanks for the info Herb!

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
"O" Flute is a particular flute design that's preferred for plastics and non-ferrous metals like aluminum. (I pronounce that "ohh" flute, BTW :D ) I use a single flute "O" flute for plastics specifically.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The "ohh" is about the price of the O flute?
I haven't found that to be the case. I use Amana tooling for this particular format as they have a lot of options. For example, I use a 3/16" 1 flute "O" Flute cutter for most plastic work I do (which isn't a lot). It was certainly more costly than run-of-the-mill 2-flute spiral end mills, but not excessively so.

nickhofen

Friend of Leo's
First aluminium part that came out of my cnc machine.
Guitar sustain block, designed with Vectric Aspire.
The thickness of the material is 19mm and was cutted with 2mm passes and 60mm/sec feed rate the machine didn't lose steps.
The ding on the surface happened while i was polishing the block on the work bench polishing machine, the polishing wheel took the part out of my hand and hit it on metal bar that was laying in the ground.
Bad polishing machine , shame in you!

Attachments

• IMG_20220505_124418.jpg
    IMG_20220505_124418.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220505_124508.jpg
    IMG_20220505_124508.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 6

RogerC

Poster Extraordinaire
That's some good stuff, Nick. Nice work! It has to be satisfying to have gotten to this point with the machine and see it running so well.

nickhofen

Friend of Leo's
That's some good stuff, Nick. Nice work! It has to be satisfying to have gotten to this point with the machine and see it running so well.
Thanks mate.
Yes, it is very satisfying.
The machine needs some more work, cables to be secured better etc. But I couldn't resist cutting that sustain block. I have to say that cutting aluminum creates a big mesh as @Jim_in_PA has already said!