My Chinese knock-off vintage Kluson is missing the string hole

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by grabby, Aug 17, 2019.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

To this I would add, locate the hole lower on the post, where you've got the full diameter to work with.

That'll increase the break angle over the nut, probably eliminating the need for a string tree. (I recently got some Wilkerson tuners that have two string holes; I put the high strings on the lower hole and skipped a string tree.)

You can de-burr it afterward with some steel wool and/or fine sandpaper etc. I do this to cheap tuners anyway, just to eliminate any sharp edges to avoid string breaks.

grabby and Mase like this.
  2. grabby

grabby Tele-Meister

Thanks all. Tons of advice. I appreciate it.

Good ideas. Will try. Nothing to lose I also have a mini file set and can clean things after so no sharp edges. I'll post results.

As for tossing them and replacing with a better but inexpensive set, I'll do that later for sure. Thank you all for the links. I don't think those $16-$20 ones were as available when I bought these (Jan-2015). I bought on eBay from China for $12 shipped. They were intended for a secondary build and not this guitar which otherwise has nice-ish parts. Anyway, these'll get me up and running and I can replace with better ones later. Hopefully the mounting holes will line up because I drilled 'em all yesterday. :)

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Use that tuner for the 6th string on a Micawber Tribute build.

4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Can you let the thread here know more of the rate of revolution of raped apes? It isn't something I have knowledge of

grabby likes this.
  5. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Another reason I'd toss these things...they're not going to sit correctly on the neck and could very likely dig into the wood.
    8C3BD618-C2CF-448F-BF11-9AED124510E1.jpeg

The base of the tuners should not be curved like these are. It looks like the sharpest end of these are what is going to make contact with the neck and I'd be worried they're going to cut into it.
    For the cost of functional decent Kluson copies...why risk it.

Wally, Matthias, SacDAve and 2 others like this.
  6. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have a Craftsman 1/3 hp. bench top drill press (cheap/belt driven) that tops out at 3100 RPM. With the 1/8" bit and smaller I would run it topped out at 3100 or at the lowest maybe 2500 RPM. When the bit makes contact with the tuner shaft, (absolutely needs center punched and a fat dab of oil; if no cutting oil available any household or motor oil will work) it'll likely rattle or squeal until you apply some slight steady pressure. You're looking for curled or helix shaped chips. If they're very fine and tiny you need to feed it a bit faster so you're not "rubbing" instead of cutting through. You'll figure it out.
    A raped ape spins maybe twice the rate of the Tasmanian Devil due to the level of anger reached having been physically assaulted in a most humiliating manner which it turns out is approximately 2500 to 3000 RPM. These things were taught in the old school vo-tech machine shop courses.

7. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

This.

These tuners are not worth the trouble it would take to make them usable. Toss them and start over.

grabby likes this.
  8. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

/\/\ That's the most important thing you need to remember with any 'affordable' parts you buy, roll the dice and you could be lucky (or not) - I've had some very good results, some not so good. I win often enough that I keep doing it :)

grabby likes this.
  9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I pick up used parts cheap rather than buying new cheap parts. I always try to fix things for the heck of it, but drilling the post has the potential to injure you if you're not careful so make sure you've set things up safely, which may not be all that easy. I doubt the post is pot metal or soft. I assume it's machined rod stock. Make sure you have the appropriate bit, drill speed, etc. If the bit binds, get ready for the tuner to spin at lightspeed and launch itself free... seeking your forehead or throat. I might try to grind a pilot dimple w/ my Dremel first.

grabby likes this.
  10. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

Buy another set and take the 6 best/smoothest out of all 11 usable ones. Should be a decent set then.

grabby likes this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Save those tuners for a five string "Keith Caster" and get new ones for the current build.

aging_rocker and Asmith like this.
  12. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

What bumnote said. Do they even have a hole for you to screw them down?
    It looks like they're designed to just dig into the wood. I will give you a set of tuners if you promise me to throw those away.

ctmullins likes this.
  13. grabby

grabby Tele-Meister

OK.... so I went and gave it a go. A note to all: I get that I should toss them -- and you are right -- and I shouldn't have bought them in the first place -- and you are right -- but I wanted to give it a go anyway. I'm funny that way.

Mounted to a plywood scrap and screwed some supports on for clamping. Had to sabre away a bunch so the drill chuck could clear. Filing a flat spot was super easy with a needle file so this stuff must be soft (but not like pot metal).

A little oil, slow speed (no apes), smaller bit than in the photo. The bit wanted to inflect to the side so I had to go slow and let it cut at its own pace. It went quickly once it bit. It's a little oblong/mis-shapen.

The main issue was, as several called out, de-burring. I used a needle file, emory paper, steel wool, and burnished with steel wire. I think it's minimally serviceable but we shall see...

So there you go... about 45 minutes of fiddling around to restore a $2 machine head. That sounds like something right in my wheelhouse. Oh, and now I need to find the 2 little screws which seem to be gone.... :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matthias, Chunkocaster and ctmullins like this.
  14. BryanLB

BryanLB Tele-Meister

Bought some locking tuners, they only lock on the thicker E&A string. The rest must be wound like normal machine heads. I look for products listed as made in Korea, the quality is usually great. Pic below is a Korean titanium bridge payed $50 but it was worth it.

5D564F1B-A419-4826-BC0F-6630F330DAE7-5725-000004EA6351616B.jpeg

IMG_0128.JPG

15. grabby

grabby Tele-Meister

No hole. There's a notch on both ends of each one (except the E and e which are on the ends). One screw goes through the notch shared between upstream and downstream machine heads and pin them to the headstock. With all six there, they all stay in-line and in place.

Here's a pic of similar vintage Fender ones from 1964/65. My knock-offs attempt to emulate that design.

[​IMG]

I mounted them and they seem like they are on there solid. I did notice that some are flat and some have that curve which is somewhat flattened when mounted, but not completely. Poor manufacturing quality I assume. And they don't center perfectly in the 10 or 11mm bushings I have them in. I don't see them damaging the maple headstock (so far).

Thank you for the offer. It's very kind and I really appreciate it. But people here have linked to several sources that are $20-35 for decent ones and that's inexpensive enough that I can easily and quickly replace them. I'm still going to try the cheapies out first tho. Maybe lose an eye when a string snaps. :p

ctmullins likes this.
  16. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Nice looking bridge. Did you get that from Guitar Family on Aliexpress ? that's where I buy these tuners ( also made in Korea).

17. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

I like your spirit. Why not tinker and see if you can get something to work instead of throw it away. It’s a chance to learn something if nothing else comes of it.

I hav got to admit I’ve been reading this thread wondering why everyone is giving you such a hard time? I wanted to see if it could be done!

18. BryanLB

BryanLB Tele-Meister

Yes, they have best quality and fast shipping.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.