My cat is tougher than your cat

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sanity Inn, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Sigh, I used to care for 35 feral cats when I lived in Toronto. They didn't have a T&R program at that time.
    Now I'm in Ottawa, and have a few that we feed, and just contacting some programs to help them get neutered and fixed up a bit.

We have 5 indoor cats and an English bulldog, and that's costly enough vet wise, we feed these ferals, crows, squirrels, and a raccoon.

Earl is the gray cat, finally got a chance to pet him after 1.5 years, those cheeks are all muscle and not just fur lol, sometimes he comes to the patio door and my cat Smoke looses it, ( feral I rescued in Toronto)

Teltley ( black n white cat) obviously can't fight worth a s,,,,T.... photo is from January when it was -30C here, he had gotten a kicking and his right ear was covered in liquid, I think it got frost bitten as it's still crooked now, he let's me pet him a bit, although it comes with a whole lot of hissing.

kills me to see these poor things try and survive like this, the fact that people will throw them out in this climate, let alone just throw them out boggles my mind

i sure hope I can get help from this local group, have them fixed and maybe if lucky , find them a forever home

DSC_3290.JPG Tetely.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Good on ya.

That said, I think I'd cross the street if I saw Earl coming down the sidewalk! :eek:

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Earl Gray is a total badass. Tetley looks like Bill the Cat. Hopefully he will survive. Good on ya for caring for God's creatures.

4. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

My cat's a *****.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

You're feeding so many cats because you continue to feed them, and they continue to breed. Doesn't mean anyone threw them out. And they're hardly feral.

Never understood how cat lovers don't understand the problem.

In other words, you're okay with tens of thousands of stray cats totally destroying the balance? And that neutering, while letting them remain strays, is okay with you?

Serious question:

What do you think of deer hunting? I'm curious to know your views on animal population control.

Do you think cats differ from deer?

teleman1 and Torren61 like this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I volunteer for a small town 30 miles away to collect feral cats for a shelter. They try very hard to get them adopted, but in all honesty, that isn't always the case. I find most of the cats in the obvious places...behind restaraunts. I think the local Pizza Hut has the largest population and clearly the fatest as well. I never take them as the employees seem to go out of their way to feed them and put out clean water. The owner tells me he wants them gone, but I ignore him....they seem to have a better life there than at the shelter.

Sanity Inn likes this.
  7. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

Great cats!
    We've adopted a dozen ferals & TNR'd countless more.
    One of them is Abraham. I don't think he could take on Earl the Gray, but he's been through hell and back and lived to tell about it. He'd stepped through one of those plastic flea collars with one paw and it cut deeply below his arm. Who knows how long he was like this before we trapped him. We patched him up, no one claimed him, and today he is the class clown in the general population.
    Congrats to people like you who make a difference.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That may not be the best example to use. The deer population grows too large due to a lack of natural predators. The days of mountain lions running around near metropolitan areas is quite rare. Cats running around in the city has a lot of predators.

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

"All cats are tough, some, more than others"-Kaji Wong-Wongs' house of cat

10. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Earl is a baaad lookin' dude for sure! How cool of you to do this. My wife insists I'm part cat (or dog, spending on the day!) due to my affinity for cat's. As one who has befriended and cared for several feral cat's, I know how much time and patience it takes to gain their trust. Keep up the great work.

RomanS and Sanity Inn like this.
  11. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

Please notice the mention on the original post: T&R (actually TNR for trap, neuter, release). It is indeed all about reducing the population of feral cats. Done right, it works and overpopulation can be eventually eliminated. Actually works better than catching and euthanizing. There is a problem, however, where people just feed. If you ask around, however, you will find that most cat lovers acutely understand the problem and many are doing something about it!

12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I guess my attitude about cats is that they're no more precious than Muscovey Ducks, who are invasive and taken over Florida.

The answer to eliminating suffering stray cats is simple, but it doesn't fit cat lovers' agenda.

If you want to eliminate stray cats...the feral classification is irrelevant...you eliminate them. You don't trap, neuter, and release.

Three steps compared to just one.

Stringbanger likes this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I had a barn yard cat once that rode a German Shepard down the street.

Dan German, Deeve, 7171551 and 2 others like this.
  14. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mine took a bullet and is still kicking...

Attached Files:

15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Well, there is the Kaji Wong method, on step, one might consider it recyling...

16. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

We had a Do Gooder show up in our village and start feeding some stray cats at an abandoned shed. She started with 6 in the fall and by spring there was 40 of them. Drop offs and strays from farms.
    They would claw their way in anywhere looking for shelter. You never knew you had them until you could smell the cat pee .
    We trapped most of them and delivered them to her property. That cured most of the problem.
    I think she got the hint.If you are going to feed them , make sure YOUR the one that has to put up with them!

Rospo and Sanity Inn like this.
  17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was in high school we had a cat named "Old Blue." He was a grey Manx cat and tough as nails. We used to joke that when we were on vacation that Blue and his buddies would have poker parties where they'd smoke cigars, drink my dad's whisky and watch kitty stag movies. Maybe not tougher then Earl, but certainly the toughest cat in the neighborhood.

P-Nutz, Stratohacker and Sanity Inn like this.
  18. luckett

luckett Banned

You feed the rats to the cats and the cats to the rats and you get the cat skins for nothing.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  19. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

I agree that people considering one species over another as more precious or valuable or cute does indeed have a bearing here. The ducks, deer and cats can all have bad ecological consequences, but I think the management of their numbers requires different approaches. Hunting the deer and ducks works because there is an enthusiastic public who will jump at the chance to fill their bag limit (who doesn't love venison?!). We won't find that so much with cats. Also, the deer and duck populations tend to explode because the environment is able to support their numbers at great expense to other species. Once hunted down and managed, their numbers can be held in check (well, hopefully-- sometimes). Cats are different because they are constantly reintroduced outside the by people who don't want them anymore. Fed outside or not, the cats will just survive anyway by eating mice and birds. Whether their numbers are reduced by attrition with something like TNR, or catch & try to adopt or kill, the problem will continue because of people releasing new fertile cats. Catching and sheltering/euthanizing also costs money. TNR costs less. The problem with cats is not so much in the immediate overpopulation management, but in the education of the general public to get them fixed in the first place.

OneHenry, catdaddy, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Kudos to you. Yeah I dont get it. Read a story about a family that moved away and left a dog in a cage. Fortunately it was discovered barely in time to save it. I dont get it.
    "No your cat's not tougher than ours!" :>)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.