1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My cars too hot!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Birdmankustomz, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

I don't think the Intrepid is/was an "old man car".

We had one in the late 90's ('99 - '01?) and I thought it was great. Wife liked it to. Big interior, decent ride and power. We had it new and never had any issues in the 3-years we owned it.

The Concorde/LHS, otoh .... .

2. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I think I found your problem.

3. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

If it's leaking stuff while it's parked, look for water and oil that's mixed. That's a blown head gasket 98% of the time, and driving it is nailing the coffin shut. If it overheats, leave it there until it is drivable. Driving the thing while it's running on H is like breaking both your legs with a saxophone and trying to go to the supermarket in the next town.

4. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

Did any heat come from the heater when it started overheating? I know it sounds crazy to run the heater in the summertime, especially with the car overheating, but sometimes that's what it takes to avoid a complete meltdown. Also it's a good troubleshooting technique. Heat coming from the heater means it's probably a bad thermostat. No heat means the impeller in the water pump has failed and the water isn't circulating.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  5. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

My cousin lost his license from multiple DWI's and the car went to my grandfather, who, having 6 or 7 cars already, sold it to me for what he put into it (an oil change, brake pads, and new front tires)

6. Birdmankustomz

It pumped out crazy amounts of heat, my mechanic said that he's 99.9% sure its either the thermostat or a clogged radiator and to bring it down wednesday and he'll take care of it for me.

7. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

First, check your coolant level and check for leaks.

FACT: If the fan doesn't come on the engine will overheat. 9 times out of 10 that's a bad thermostat.

DIY rule #1: replace the cheapest part first.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Clogged fuel filters can make fuel injected cars overheat as well, especially on grades. Make them run very lean, which heats them up. I'd check the electric fan switch first, if so equipped.

9. TEAM LANDRETH

TEAM LANDRETH Tele-Meister

I've been driving beaters for my whole life. I drive cars hard so I figure there's no sense in driving a new one. But, old cars need a fair bit of attention. And tools. Buy good ones.

Buy a Haines manual or somebody's manual, and start getting your tool box together. Most repairs are fairly self evident and straight forward. The Haines manuals tend to focus on common problems that are particular to that model of car.

You'll save a lot of money doing your own service, but you will also get dirty and learn some very colorful cuss words. You'll also know where every wrecker in your area is located. You'll be able to nod knowingly when some one complains about having transmission fluid in their hair. Not everyone can say they know that feeling.

But you're still young, so give it whirl. If you end up liking auto service, BONUS. I fortunately was taught by my father and before I realized I didn't really like being a mechanic, I knew most of my stuff. The Haines folks keep me in the correct ballpark the rest of the time.

Doing your own service is like a trip to the dentist, but when you leave, he pays you.

The internet is also a great if somewhat time consuming way to diagnose car problems. The problem is sifting through a bunch of stuff that won't pertain to your car. The trick is reading enough posts to find the common complaint. After an hour or so, you'll have a much clearer idea of the likely problem, and so far for me, the first fix has been the correct fix.

10. Birdmankustomz

Never cease to amaze how? in that I stopped driving the car the second I realized something was wrong with it? The first time it overheated it was down on coolant, I added more and it happend again, so I stopped driving it. "Folks like me" work on their own cars, and take better care of them that 90% of the population. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you don't know me, so don't judge me. Also, I gave the most specific information I could given what I knew, and it was enought for our mechanic to narrow it down to 2 things.

11. Birdmankustomz

I agree with pretty much all of what you just said, I already do my own work (when I can) and have alot of great tools to work with. I replaced all the brake lines in it last winter and the mechanic actually mentioned how clean the lines were run when he did the inspection, lol. I did all the brake lines and the muffler for under a hundred bucks :cool:

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On my old cars in the past, "running hot" is nearly always the water pump's blades have corroded and it's not pumping adequate volumes.

Previous owners have a bad habit of topping up the cooling system with water, and not coolant. The green stuff is useful in places that freeze, and people think if they live somewhere warm, that the green stuff is unnecessary - yet it's needed for its anti-corrosive properties.

Don't buy cars with clear coolant!

13. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Down on coolant was it??? yep! filling it back up and continuing to drive it the next day was a good move.

News flash!!! The 2.7L DCC engine is notorious for the water pump seal failing and leaking coolant into the crankcase, which then causes the infamous oil sludge problem this motor has had in large numbers..... and then ultimately, you get engine failure because the oiling system has been compromised.

The other possibility is a blown head gasket / cracked head but with that you would be seeing bubbles in the coolant and coolant backing up into the recovery tank.

So, research it! type into a Google search.... "Chrysler 2.7L Cooling Problems".... and see what comes up...... and have fun Wed with your ace mechanic that has it diagnosed to a clogged radiator or thermostat. :lol:

14. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

If your head gasket was gone, you'd have antifreeze in your oil and a significant lack of power...I assume you've already checked this out, if not whats the harm!

everyone else here has already said everything I was going to say already...

Check out the headgasket that I pulled off of my '52 dodge

[​IMG]

15. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

I saw the picture first and thought it was the dodgy car in question that'd blown the gasket - Then I wondered why they'd still be using a side valve motor in 1999.

Anyway, that is a nasty break.

16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I recently picked up a car from out of town, almost as soon as i hit the open road it started to over heat, i drove in the middle of summer 3 hours home with the heater on to keep the temp in check...

tried everything, thermostat, radiator flush and finally worked out it was the electric fan.

Pity i didn't realise the AC would have started the second fan and ic ould have a had a pleasant 3 hour drive in aircon rather than with theater blasting....it was a tough trip!!!

So, I would recommend to check your electric fan works...

17. smitty54017

smitty54017 Tele-Holic

If your fan didn't turn on when it was overheating, that would indicate the fan is at least part of the problem. Generally, the fan doesn't run when you're driving highway speeds, but will run if the car is stopped in traffic or the speed isn't fast enough to cool the radiator.

Also, does the check engine light come on?

18. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Had the same problem..............all it was was a Radiator cap, seriously, try getting a new one. hope that works

19. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

Now there's something you don't see everyday......... :eek:

20. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Could be, because if your timing chain gets off it can cause the following:
    An over heating car and lack of power is the first signs of timing belt/chain problems. The next sign is valves, pistons and other internal engine parts start fighting with each other.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.