My cabronita is making me sad.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by barbrainy, Feb 22, 2014.

1. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Just finished a 1 filtertron cabronita, and though it looks great, there are a couple of problems with it.

1) Pole spacing vs string spacing: top and bottom e strings wayyyyy off the pole pieces. Top e string: doesn't seem to have an adverse affect on the sound, but the bottom E is distinctly not as loud as the other strings. I have raised the pole pieces to compensate, but then I get a touch of compression for that string, so it still sounds not right..... I know the obvious option I have for fixing this (narrower string spacing bridge), but won't that require me changing the spacing of the string through holes too? I do not like that prospect, after the amount of work it took to get a flawless black finish.... Feel free to make any other suggestions

[​IMG]

2) Tone pot: I used a linear taper pot for this. Which now appears to be a mistake. There is NO change whatsoever to the the tone from 10-2, then it literally changes in one single spot, and no further change from 2 to 0. It is as if it is a switch rather than a pot. Is this just simply because I used linear, and need to swap to audio??

Edit: I happened to have spare bridge with the narrower string spacing, and slightly narrower saddles. So I am swapping saddles only, to see if I can just move the two e strings in a bit this way.....

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

What kind of bridge is that?

I used a Rutters chopped bridge (3-barrel tele-style), and while the spacing is off a bit, it's not nearly as extreme as that. On mine, the E and e strings are about 2/3rds of the way towards the outside edges of the polepieces.

Do you have a neck pick-up in the bridge position? The polepiece spacing may be different. They are for TV Jones Classic filtertrons....

3. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

A modern tele type hardtail bridge:

[​IMG]

(that's having just put the narrower saddles in, which seems a little better, but haven't strung it back up yet, as I need to re-do the fret level/crown as it seems the first 3 frets are high....)

My first thought was 'have I got a neck pickup?'.......but a) according to the ebay listing, it is a bridge pickup, and b) from what I can tell, Gretsch Filtertrons have the same string spacing for nexk and bridge pickups anyway: http://gretschpages.com/forum/pickups/string-position-over-pups-pole-pieces/24366/page1/ http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/pickup-place/70742-filtertrons-not-centered-issue-big-one.html

So perhaps once I've jiggled my new saddles about a bit (am trying to resist innuendo.....) it's just a normal issue with bridge Filtertrons?

Now I wish I had stuck with the original plan: TV Jones pickup. But I lost my job, so tried economising. :(

4. Jupiter

I think the spacing on mine was off by 2mm, which meant that the outer strings were each 1mm off the center of the polepieces, and as no problem. How much narrower is the string spacing with the new saddles?

5. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

About 3mm in total

6. Jupiter

Hmm, that oughta get the strings at least part way over the outer polepieces, wouldn't it? I predict that you'll get considerable improvement out of that. :)

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You could get a TV Jones Supertron(s).
    They sound great, and got blades.

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Yeah, visually, it appears significantly improved.....have to see if it makes enough difference to the sound.

Now, to attend to the pot issue. I can only assume it needs to be changed from linear to audio.

9. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I would......were I not poor and lacking full time employment! As I mentioned earlier, TV Jones was the original plan.

Maybe I will treat myself to a TV Jones once I'm back in work.

And once I've finished the other build I am working on.

And completed the challenge build.

And done a tele for a friend.

So, you know, I'll get onto that pretty soon. :) (actually, one things lacking full time employment does help with is having wayyyyy more time to mess about with guitars)

10. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

From memory neck 'trons are 50 mm , bridge are 52 mm.

11. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

you could always reroute for a humbucker and slap a bucker in there. I did that on an early project I had. I wish I could have gotten the Filtertron to work for aesthetics but I love the sound on the humbucker.

12. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

I've seen a lot of complaints about this issue. I hear you
    want a bridge with 2 1/16" (52.4 mm) string spacing, not 2 1/8".
    I believe the American Std. Hardtail bridge has 2 1/16" string
    spacing.

13. bluepingu345

bluepingu345 TDPRI Member

Try the axecaster bridge. Supposed to fix the problem and from a good UK company.

14. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

If you look at the Fender Mexican LaCabs they have the same string spacing/alignment issue. Fender seems to think it is fine, although I disagree. I have uses the chopped Wilkinson bridge with filtertrons and not had an alignment issue. Plus if you use it as a top loader, like I prefer, there is a certain amount of wiggle room to move the strings side to side on the saddle. Not a lot, but certainly tweekable.

15. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I have the same problem with a Wilkinson bridge. I was a little off on the pickup route, too, so part of it is my fault. Ordered a bridge with shorter string spacing, but the string holes didn't line up so I couldn't change it.
    [​IMG]

16. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Judging from the beautiful work in that close-up, this will probably make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, but I'd re-drill the through holes from the front of the guitar to join the existing ones, so they did line up, and make the new bridge work. This will all be hidden under the bridge, and the ferrules in the back of the guitar will still be properly placed. Unless it's just outrageous fraud, hidden "tweaks" to make things function properly are not a problem for me.:cool:

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Barbrainy, thanks for posting this, come to think of it, a good heads-up for those who might be contemplating entering the Challenge in the LaCab category.

19. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Rick! It wouldn't bother me at all to do that type of repair and make it work. The new bridge I ordered has an entirely different footprint as well, so the indentations of the original bridge would be seen on the top.
    It's not much of a guitar anyway, but somewhat fun to play. My first ever neck build on this one.
    Oh, and the other bridge is waiting to be installed on an offset pine that is nitro curing before wet-sanding.

20. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

That's a good call, thanks. Just had a look, and that fits the mounting holes I already have, so is a definite contender

You're right. I've looked at a couple of pics, and with the narrower saddles, my string spacing is about the same as a MIM Cab. Maybe that'll do.....

This is an idea that had already occurred to me, so I'm pleased to see that I'm not alone. Hopefully this might mean it's not a bad idea?

Good point. Now I've done some reading, I realise this is a common problem. But wouldn't have until it happened to me.....

It's also partly my own fault for changing my mind. The body (which was v cheap) was sold as being routed for TV Jones pickups, presumably with the correct string spacing. Now, although I've done plenty of work to the body (plugged the neck pickup hole, and - so far - managed to not have that show through the thin finish, which is just black nitro, no clear; added tummy and arm contours), I didn't even think to check string spacing. Just bought a bridge that fitted the body....

As ever, another lesson learned. (And I make my own bodies now, so it's useful food for thought for that too. Especially for the upcoming challenge!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.