My budget for NOS glass

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by golfnut, Apr 17, 2018.

1. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I was looking at the JAN Philips ($55) not the JAN GE ($70).

Rectifiers have no tone. They are not in the tone path. The simply drop volts and hold it it there. They work till the don't. I don't see a good reason to spend so much on that tube--and I have old vintage rectifiers in all my amps.

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

JAN Philips are out of stock.Yes I do understand that rec tube doesn't influence tone but I figured that with NOS would give me more longevity over ANOS. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe the the longevity of NOS over ANOS is negligible.

3. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I, also, favor the GE 6L6GC's over the RCA blackplates. I'm actually happy with the sound of the Russian Tung Sol 6L6GC STR, which, to me, sound very much like the GE's. The JAN Philips 6L6WGB's are nice also. They'll give a bit more compression to the sound, somewhat like a 5881. Look at it this way; you could probably get two or three sets of new Tung Sol 6L6GC's for the price of a pair of slightly used RCA's. It's a "no brainer" for me and, as far as I'm concerned, most of your "tone" comes from the pre-amp; which is where I put my money: into NOS/ANOS 12AX7's and 12AT7's. Just my 2 cents. ;-)

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

JAN Phillips are nice tubes. I would not hesitate. I have a few JAN Sylvania 6L6s laying around unused (Most of my amps use 5881s) that came out of an old amp and they're still strong, good sounding tubes. I keep them around for backups.

I will be honest, for amps that require a duet of 5881's I have opted for vintage Tung Sols. Matched pairs aren't crazily priced. But, for my Twin with a quartet, I went with modern Tung Sol Reissues (the Russian 6-whatever-whatever tubes in a brown base). I've been surprised by how good they actually sound.

Preamp tubes? They can be a crap shoot as far as tone. The big thing here is that at home, or in the studio, you may hear a difference. On stage, I doubt it. But, I tend to prefer old glass for my preamp tubes. I run 12ay7s in V1 of all four of my amps, and those are starting to get pricey (especially my favorite so far, Amperex Bugle Boys). 12ax7s in the rest of the spots except one amp with reverb, which needs a 12at7 there and the PI. I have a pile and a half of old at7's. They're still dirt cheap.

When it comes to 12ax7s I tend to buy lots of used tubes (that are claimed to test good or new) and end up spending smallish dollars on each tube. I find a few that fail, but for the most part I've made out decently. I have a stash now of JAN Sylvanias, a number of RCA and GE tubes and some Amperex. I doubt I have as much into my stash as your current budget... But, I have ferreted out deals over a number of years to do it. Oh, and I'm a cheap sum'*****.

My initial goal was to say that those Brimars are good tubes, but as others have stated, may not be the ultimate tone for your Allen. The one place to be really choosey is the PI. Folks recommend a balanced tube for the PI. Next V1, the others have less influence....

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

Honestly my advice to you would be to put your money into very nice pre amp tubes that should last you years and have the real impact on tone. If it's an amp you use regularly then I would use new production power tubes and save money as they take the most beating are going to be the first tubes to deteriorate. Of course if the nos tubes are close in price to new than old glass is always preferred. I have wasted hundreds of dollars on sweet nos power tubes only to burn through them in about a year when they start to drop off. I also never once heard a difference using nos power tubes over the new stuff so that's why I only buy killer pre amp tubes now and not power tubes

6. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

This blows my mind. I can build a whole amp for the cost of your NOS glass budget. And I'd even assert that I could get the same tone and life outta the new production tubes I'd use as opposed to yours. [Sorry, someone has to be the contrarian :D].

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    radiocaster likes this.
  7. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Your number one place to concentrate on is the 1st preamp tube on any channel. It make morr tonal difference than any other tube in your amp unless you got down to amps like champs (1-12ax7>1-6V6), there most of your drive action happens in 6V6 when you crank vol.

Go to KCA tube and buy some ANOS, buy a rca 7025 and a GE 12ax7, GE should be more full range in your face grind, 7025 more midrange growl.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well building your own amp and tuning circuit to use and make the best use of tubes your using would I think would be the optimal path to tonal nirvana.

But you know what, most of users are using pre-made circuits made by someone else who obviously has inferior hearing compared to me/us so I tend to adjust tubes and speakers above and beyond what amp designer thought was perfect. I'm weird that way. If I have to use a $45 rca 7025 I will. I'll also use a $18 TAD if that's what sounds best in any certain spot.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could probably build two heads for that much, or get a nice head like an Egnater Tweaker or Orange OR15.

10. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Oh, there's no judging here. Any way to get your tone is OK with me. Whatever works is valid, of course. Not everyone has ugly-ass homemade amps and cabs, or the workshop in the garage to swap out 18 cent resistors and caps. If you factor in everything I've spent on parts, etc. It's all probably the same at the end. Because no one can build just one amp...it's not possible. On a per amp basis, it's cheaper. But then I have like 5 just sitting around and another 5 on "loan" to folks...

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you buy NOS guitar amp tubes buy them from a guitar amp supplier like KCA or Lord Valve. DO NOT buy from eBay sellers that state they have tested them. Common tube testers can't properly test guitar amp power tubes or preamp tubes where operating plate voltages will be above 185 for the power tubes or around 150 for preamp tubes. That's where typical military, Hickok and other tube testers max out. Their test results are irrelevant.

OneHenry likes this.
  12. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

I don't know why some people don't like GE 6L6GC, I don't think that there is any real difference between GE and RCA branded 6l6GCs. It is likely that you will find RCA branded 6L6GCs that were made by GE, and vice-versa.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Man, I have had way more problems with noise, hiss and microphonics with current production tubes than I ever have with NOS.

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Try Mullard RI for 12ax7 pre tubes. Good luck!

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

I have a pile of NOS Mullards and Amperex Bugle Boys that sound great. Probably be awhile before I need to look for pre tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.