My brother in law fell and broke a couple of vertebrae in his back.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 17, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My mountain man brother in law who lost his wife (my wife's sister) almost four years ago, fell in one of those shower bathtub things, and landed on the top of the tub, back first! He toughed it out for a few days, but eventually had his neighbor take him to an Urgent Care facility where it was determined he had a couple of lower back vertebrae cracked. He's finally starting to get some relief, it's been six weeks since he fell, and they figure it will be maybe another month before he's healed up. Talked to him on the phone yesterday, and he's sounded a lot better than he did a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I was telling my son about his uncle falling a couple of days ago, and this morning he showed up with four restroom grab rails, making sure he had some that would fit our master bedroom bath! I didn't think I really needed them, but he mounted one bar horizontally in the water closet, and one vertically in the shower. They look like the belong there, and I found right away that they would sure come in handy if I needed them! In fact, I'm sure I will use the vertical one in the shower every time I get in or out of there! Last winter, on Christmas day, I fell ill with some kind of virus that I thought was the flu, and my doc thought the same, I could have surely used those grab rails then, because I was weak as a kitten.

I have been reluctant to do something like this because of it having an effect on selling the house,(if I wanted to) but anything you can do, you can undo. Besides, after seeing how good they look, I doubt seriously they would detract from a sale anyway.

2. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Back injuries ain't no fun, hope he heals quick.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Wow, sorry to hear that. Sounds like a tough dude, I would be in the ER screaming like a baby! Thanks for sharing the idea, sounds like a very reasonable thing to install for sure.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

my mother in law fell (not using her walker or wheelchair) on Mother's Day... broke two vertebra C1 & C2... It is a seriously crazy time for us... you cannot see them and only 'facetime' with doctors and nurses... one was a three hour convo about the options and a very very limited future....

Glad you are getting the rails. Be careful, we need you and you also don't want to drive your family crazy with selfish stubbornness.

Mad Kiwi and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Like you say, you can always remove them later if you decide to sell the house. The last time I was house hunting, seeing those handrails didn't discourage me in evaluating the house. Something like those walk in tubs were a bigger issue since you can't just remove them with a screwdriver.

I would say they are a valuable item and worth the visual negatives. I once slipped and fell in a basement shower when I was 25. The shower was just a utillity thing made of brick over a floor drain, so the impact was pretty rough and left me with 3 bruised ribs. These days I have an antique claw foot tub with a sprayer attachment. I hated it when I bought the place with plans to redo the bathroom, but came to really like the tub instead. One can't fall if you are already sitting down.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

That sucks. I fell off my escooter a few days ago and I can hardly lift my arm. I think it is getting better but this sucks.

9089F5B5-A7EB-4FA5-80D3-4DE2DA99D4C0.jpeg

7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've been thinking of getting some of those hand rails myself. Being as deconditioned as I am from my hospital stays and generally recovery, getting out of the tub can be risky. I fell the other day, fortunately just on my butt, so other than a headache from the impact I was fine. Seeing as I have nerve damage from a fractured spine and a recent (4 years ago) accident that cracked 2 cervical vertebrae, I really shouldn't put it off. Spinal fractures aren't fun. I think your post has convinced me to go ahead with the purchase. When the stores open again. Take care, TD. We're only as young as our Teles!! (and they age differently!) ;)

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ow!

Yeah, just make sure those hand holds are secure. Really a job that's got to be done right. Those jobbers with the suction cups, totally make me nervous.

Toto'sDad and Milspec like this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My mother did that in the early 60's and damaged neck vertebrae. They put her in traction for many months and it didn't help. She ended up being the second person ever to have the discs fused by going through her throat. Pretty scary stuff as a youngster. Different time then. She would send the surgeon a $5 a month payment and he would credit her $500.

We only take showers. I've hated tubs since then and a little afraid. Psycho didn't help much either.

Toto'sDad and Milspec like this.
  10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Owwwwww!

Sorry for you, my friend!

I remember a million years ago I was just out of high school and had to take physics in summer school for my university entrance. A young woman in the class was riding to class on her bike and went down a hill onto a bridge. This was when narrow tired 10 speeds were a new thing. (Did I tell you I was old?) Anyway, her front tire caught in a rain grate at the bottom of the hill and she flipped right over at speed. She looked like that from her shoulder to her ankle, spent all summer on crutches and took all summer to heal. It must be awfully painful, and even more so when it scabs. I cringe just to look, and I've had my own share of accidents! Take care!

Toto'sDad and 6String69 like this.
  11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

It is important not to get complacent with safety … what have you got to lose .

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I put a rail on the wall in my grans bath/shower. My mother told me she found out my gran was bathing then ‘whipping’ the towel towards the rail in order wrap around the rail and then pull herself up out of the bath!!

I contacted the NHS social care about this, they came out and agreed with me this was less than ideal. Although my gran insisted she didn’t want to be any trouble! They gave my gran a grant which paid for a wet room conversion.

My gran is now 93 and doesn’t have to indiana Jones herself out of the bath. So to summarise, my Gran is bonkers and NHS is amazing.

We all need a bit of looking after.

telleutelleme and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Thanks GB, I was dragging my heels until I saw how neatly he installed the rails, they look as if they belong there. He's rebuilt four houses of his own way beyond anything I've seen on the H&G channel, so he's very good at stuff like that. He's also a licensed professional engineer and sees things in a way I just don't. I hate having him do stuff for us, because he literally has no free time, between his work, and his own family, and my daughter, they can keep him busy 24 7s! Momma asked him why he does stuff like this for us, and he said, it's partly selfish; How do you think I'd feel if one of you got hurt knowing I could have prevented it. Both he and my son who passed have treated us so well, I know we are blessed.

I am sorry about your mother in law having hurt herself. I hope she recovers.

getbent likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I fell off a Cushman Eagle one time doing about fifty miles an hour, those scooters can beat you up! Hope you heal up nicely.

6String69 likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Sounds like your grandma is a resourceful woman. Good on you for fixing the problem.

16. Toto'sDad

Not a thing!

tery likes this.
  17. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Yeowch! Hope your friend heals well and soon.

Dayum, 6String, that's some pretty serious road rash!

6String69 and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

They are secure, and of good quality. My son has all the stuff you need to do it right. He had drill bits that went through the tile without any damage to the tile at all. He had stud finders to find where to put the screws, he predrilled the holes to fit the screws, ( I taught him that long ago) and we both checked that they were strong and secure. My sis in law in Arkansas has some of those suction cup grab bars in her bathroom and it scares me to know she depends on them. I remarked to him that we had switched roles, he's now Lucas McCain, and I'm Mark. :lol::lol:

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I know how he feels.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

prayers for a speedy and full recovery

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.