My brother in law at the doctors office.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife's kid brother who is no longer anywhere near a kid, had a terrible heartburn problem, and coughed up some blood one day recently so he went to the doctor to get checked out. The doctor told him he was going to have to put an instrument/camera down his throat to take a look down inside just like a colonoscopy. The first thing my brother in law asked him was; Did you at least wash that thing? This was just related to us this morning by a call from my wife's older brother. We are hopeful that he's okay, but his sense of humor still seems to be in good shape.

3bolt79, Flip G, 1955 and 13 others like this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I used the same line on my doctor when I went in for both a colonoscopy and gastroscopy, I said make sure you do the top end first.

His response was " of course I wouldn't want you to wake up with bad breath "

3bolt79, dented, fishermike and 13 others like this.
  3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I hope things get sorted out quickly, but that's good that he has that sense of humor. I've seen it, and I've heard it from doctors, nurses, and paramedics...the mind is just as powerful or more so than the body when it comes with dealing with illness and injuries. A sense of humor and positive outlook is very important in overall health, and I've witnessed myself several times through the years. You can "think" yourself into a better or worse outcome to some extent.

Hope things are simpler than they appear. I'll say this - my dad was diagnosed with a rare condition back in February, had a drain tube in his chest for 6+ months, and all sorts of health issues. I say this with 100% certainty - the doctors are NOT the reason he's still alive today. It was my constant research, case studies, Dr. Google that figured out what to do. In the most extreme case, he had gained 40 pounds of water retention weight, I figured out why, and he's gone from 252 at his peak back down to 210 today, simply from a supplement that was showing up low in his bloodwork, but nobody caught it. The issue finally healed itself after they told him that surgery and clamping off his thoracic duct was the only way to fix it. And that would have had lifelong issues as well.

Point is, be your own doctor these days - there's too much information available to just take someone else's word for it.

Skyhook, Telekarster, Milspec and 2 others like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

5. Toto'sDad

I can't argue with any of that. Glad you dad is doing better too. My son in law had a terrific water retention problem recently, he went to the hospital and they drained more water than I would have thought possible out of him. He discussed it with the doctor who treated him, and is now seeing THAT doctor rather than his own. He's doing good now.

Telekarster likes this.
  6. jsnwhite619

Check his Albumin on his blood panel. If it's below 3.5-4.0 range, I'm willing to bet that's what caused it. If so, you can find OTC supplements on Amazon for like $12 per bottle. That worked enough to prove I was right, then he started getting IV infusions after that.

Tell him to have a blood panel done that checks his albumin levels. 3.5 is the bottom end cutoff to keep the water in your blood and out of your cells & tissue. That was my dad's problem - diuretics weren't helping because they only take water from your bloodstream, his was all trapped in his tissue. Five gallons of it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounds like it could be an ulcer, but when I had mine, it included quite a bit of pain in the stomache and not just heartburn and spitting up blood.

If he takes a lot of OTC pain relievers....time to stop doing that.

8. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounds like my late father.
    Three days before he died, he told the doctors not to do anything more, unless they needed to get some experience. . .
    :eek:

Pops was kind of an acquired taste.

Peace - Deeve

Obsessed, televillian, 1guy and 5 others like this.
  9. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yep. You said it man. Positive outlook, humor, and be your own Doc.... couldn't have said it better myself.

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm sure they must hear that all the time:lol::lol::lol:. I usually am scoped top and bottom every five...I always, always, always remind them to do the top first. Last time the response was "you'll never know;)." :eek:zzzzzzz

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  11. joealso

joealso Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I went in for surgery to repair a hernia in my groin. There were several patients being prepped in pre-op, all of us separated by a thin curtain. The doctor came to say hello asked if I had any questions. I told him I had heard that operating rooms are kept cool and, since there would certainly be nurses assisting him, I asked him to explain to them what the cool air can do to the male anatomy. I heard a woman on the other side of the curtain bust out laughing.

schmee, 1guy and Peegoo like this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to say TD but that remark here would've had him excluded without further treatment. Sounds funny but not to medical staff. No offense intended, as you said, it was his form of humour.

suthol and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Every time I go in for a colonoscopy and they start the midazolam IV drip, I always say, "wake me up when we get to Cleveland!" And when I pop awake, I say, "Are we in Cleveland?" It usually cracks up the crew.

14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had an endoscopy recently it's nice they let you leave your pants on! Afterwards I was certain my wife was shaking me trying to get me up for work after a late night out. The first thing I asked was where is my wife. They don't let them wait right now they call your ride to fetch you.

Best wishes for your BIL.

Peegoo likes this.
  15. jsnwhite619

Are you serious - refused treatment for a joke?

Lone_Poor_Boy and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

stormsedge likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I'll be sure and let him know, because that's the kind of numbers he was looking at when he was drained of water. They may have done exactly what you said though, because a couple of days ago my daughter gave him a good report and he's doing better than he has in ages. I reckon doctors are like mechanics, there's one's that can fix stuff, and one's who just work on stuff.

18. jsnwhite619

This is what my dad started taking before they began the infusions. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009NETMI/?tag=tdpri-20

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They wash it once a week, even if it doesn't need it.

Said the Doctor during a Colonoscopy: Hey! Guess where I left my Rolex!!?

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.