1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My brother has tasked me with the impossible (project guitar help?)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by _MementoMori_, Apr 22, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

My brother just picked up an Oscar Schmidt OS-50-TR (SG type) electric guitar that is completely stripped. He paid next to nothing for it, but I don't think he understands how much cash he's going to have to dump into it to make it playable again. It's missing the tuners, the nut, the truss rod cover, the pickups, the pickguard, the bridge, the stopbar, and two volume knobs.

It DOES have cheapo wiring with mini pots, but who can say what kind of shape any of that is in. The problem I'm running into is finding specs on any of the parts so that I can help him purchase replacements. The pickguard is just gone forever - it's a weird shape that I can't use a Gibson/Epi guard for.

Anybody have one of these? Any insight on replacement parts?

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

From the OS website:

"How do I get replacement parts for my instrument?
    Oscar Schmidt tries to use as many standardized instrument parts as possible, to make field-service easier. Most technicians capable of performing repair work have easy access to them, via a variety of instrument parts dealers/suppliers."

Give him the addresses for AllParts and GuitarFetish and run away...

https://www.allparts.com/

https://www.guitarfetish.com/

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    _MementoMori_, Blue Bill and Jakedog like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

What he said.

OR... and hear me out here...

Go on GC dot com and just buy the guy a cheap used guitar. Tell him it’s his early Christmas present, no strings attached, as long as he agrees to toss the other one in the dumpster and not ask you to work on it. Trust me, it’s worth it.

4. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I would make a list of parts needed (close to specs, to save time) and show him how much it will cost. Then show him what a decent, inexpensive guitar, or better yet, an O Schmidt would cost. If he is still interested in rebuilding, show him links to parts sites and let him have fun.

5. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

Forget the pickguard; it doesn't need it. All of the other parts should be standard. Buy new humbuckers and all new electronics. This can be cheap or expensive, depending on how nice he wants to make it. Tuners are pretty much the same.

I'd put two parts lists together. One using decent but cheap parts (ex. Musiclily from Amazon), and one using good parts. Let him decide based on his budget.

EDIT: I just looked up the guitar. Forget what I typed above. It is a $134 guitar which will cost you at least $100 to fix. Talk him into the Epiphone SG special instead.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.