1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My brakes are so worn that…

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM.

1. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

You should be hearing squeaking or squealing if the pads are beyond the acceptable
    wear because the pads backing plates have steel wear sensors attached.
    The sensors will touch the rotors when the friction material is nearly worn out
    and be very audible. Most vehicles in the last 20 years also have a dash light indicator.

Hopefully you can find service with a professionally trained mechanic especially with
    the ABS issue.

Wulf likes this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

With ceramic pads being the norm these days, you have to replace the rotors on the brake job anyway so might as well run them until they are about gone. Over the last few years, I find you end up replacing the calipers with each brake job as well due to corrosion.

The days of seeking replacements when the brakes start to chirp are long gone...nothing there to save, expect to replace all of it.

3. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yup. I don't understand drivers that feel the need to fly up to a red light or stop sign and hit the brakes hard. You see what's up ahead....decelerate by taking your foot off the accelerator and softly pump the brakes. Smooth stop and easy on those brake pads.

goonie, Tonetele and Wulf like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't stint on brakes and tires.

Jakedog and Wulf like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Please , I urge you, get your brakes fixed. My oldest son's best friend died at age 17 the day before he was supposed to have his fixed. Affected our whole community badly.
    "Brakes and Tyres" my old man used to say, "... are the only things between you and death".

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Smart man.

My old man used to tell me to never cheap out on toilet paper or haircuts, but I didn’t listen. I’ve cutting my own hair since March. Just run the clippers over my skull every couple weeks.

Cheap toilet paper isn’t so bad, either. Helps you get in touch with your inner self.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

(On brakes being practically non-existent on this cars) I make cars to go. Not to stop.

Ettore Bugatti

8. Toto'sDad

I'm good on toilet paper at least for the foreseeable future. My wife has been cutting my hair for years. For some reason, she does not want me to return the favor.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

When I was hauling heavy equipment, if the front axle of the truck didn't have Michelin tires on it, I wouldn't drive it. Out on the curve on 46 between Wasco and the I-5, I saw a set of doubles being pulled by an old Cornbinder cabover do donuts in an alfalfa field when the front tire blew. The Alfalfa was long enough it was about ready to mow, I think that's what saved the guy, it was too slick to get enough traction to roll over.

10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

So much bad info here that I will remain absent .

MarkieMark likes this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Scott 1 ply !

it rules our world.

Once you build up the calluses on your bungholio, you are good to go.

Back before the “troubles” , I would do a traveling poop at somebody else’s house who had, wait for it - three ply lotion TP (!)

I swear, my little brown ring would go on strike for a week after because he had somehow gotten spoiled in one 17 minute adventure...

Brakes ?

I’m calling Don the mechanic tomorrow. And then I’m gonna do tires .

oh my gosh - talk about being spoiled - my truck. He deserves it though. God knows he deserves it.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I was under the impression that antilock systems were triggered by the sensing of wheel speeds differing from one another by a
    Greater amount than would occur just from going around a curve. A wheel sensor would have to tell the computer a wheel was locking up, or nearly so, then you’d feel the weird buzzy pedal feeling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.