1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My brakes are so worn that…

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM.

1. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

When used in conjunction with a manual transmission,... wait, er... manual transmission, oh yeah, never mind. Those are going away too..

Wulf and Jakedog like this.
  2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

a good driver can read the road ahead...and use gears and good driving to avoid it...i love testing myself like that too...smooth defensive driving...with good road manners.
    just back in the day i have had to drive about in some proper sheds...some so bad that the cops left me alone in them...probably thinking if i stopped it would never start again

Jakedog likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I used to buy the cheapest pads but eventually I got smarter and started using ceramic pads -- more miles, better stopping, and fewer hours at the end of the wrench.

PhredE, Telecastoff1 and Wulf like this.
  4. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Ive driven a stick most of my life, no more, nope....

Boil likes this.
  5. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

I just did my front brakes recently. New pads, rotors and calipers. I caught a sale at Napa with discounts if you are a AAA member (Father in law got us AAA). I think I was in about $360 plus my time. First time replacing calipers and bleeding brakes, but it saved some money. Its pretty easy to work through if you read it through and take your time. Youtube is your friend. So many how to's. Get those things taken care of!

PhredE, Telecastoff1 and Wulf like this.
  6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I change the brake pads on all 3 of our cars and my oldest daughter's also. A full set of pads front and back can usually be had for under $100 and it takes a couple of hours.

PhredE, Telecastoff1, Nickfl and 2 others like this.
  7. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You need brakes. Brakes are good.

How many miles on the brakes? Just curious. I'm on my 3rd F150 since 2009. I drive a lot of highway miles. The last one I traded in had 200k on it, and it had the original rear brakes. I think I had to replace the front brakes somewhere between 150k and 175k. The one I had before that one was about the same.

8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

It's possible to wear so much you need new calipers. Big$$$. Depends tho on vehicle.... My 14 Altima Is that way. Or so I was told.

9. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

good man...its not rocket science to do is it...and peace of mind is priceless

PhredE likes this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

only ever had one auto transmission.
    wasnt too keen much prefer manual.
    if clutch decides to go changing gear is easy...if you have to stop...turn engine off...stick it in 1st and turn the key..hop skip jump and your motoring again.
    drove a mini cooper from york back to saltburn like that.50 or so miles..easy
    also managed to drive from satburn to london (bout 250 miles) without touching brakes at all apart from on the M1 when some tit decided to pull right in front of me...then for some reason slammed his anchors on....perhaps he was trying not to soil his upholstery...looking for services or a handy bush...bloody tit nearly made me soil mine!
    suppose i could have crashed it into 1st gear to save my brakes...at the expense of a gearbox...or my beloved old mini cooper

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    PhredE likes this.
  11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Ha Ha! I know this well. My Opel Combi painter's truck began to scrape when I was working on a job far from home. No problem, I thought. Most of it is freeway driving, and I can drive carefully through the sparsely-populated town where I was working.

Well, as usual, life got in the way of responsible behavior. I ended up driving without brakes for 4 months. It was a great lesson in 'reading the road ahead', and I learned a lot about using the hand-brake. All-in-all, a great learning experience. I finally replaced the pads and discs myself, with he help of a cousin.

A few months later, my wife was in the hospital, about 45 minutes away. I was visiting twice a day, using our family car. She had just received a terminal diagnosis, and I was lost. And all at once that car began doing the same thing. I tried to get on with it - I was way too busy with other more serious things - and I got away with it for two weeks. When I took it to the garage, my mechanic took the pads out, and a few other parts, and said "You can't drive this car anymore, 'til I replace those parts."

He replaced the discs and the rotors, and everything was fine. But I still frequently reach for the hand-brake when I'm not totally focused.

Wulf likes this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

mike you can do the whole shootin match yourself in a day for 150.00 with righteous slotted rotors etc... it is actually pretty fun too....

13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Mike, it just occurred to me that worn out pads should not trigger your anti-lock brake system. Worn out brakes=less friction, not more. What's locking up a wheel?

14. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

dodgy sensor or cracked ABS ring...needs checking or your brakes can cease working then suddenly lock on if you brake doing more than about 50 mph...usually on one side turning your car into a ditchfinder

getbent likes this.
  15. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

OK, I dont know where to start on this alarming thread......

First off-
    Oh please! Theres not even a first off!

Well, I will say, that in about 43 years of professional auto service career experience, I have seen some neglect. And some absurd failure.
    I have seen disc brake pads so worn out the metal backing plates fall out of the caliper and the caliper pistons over extend out of the bore and fluid leaks out.
    Nothing like a caliper piston wearing directly into the rotor surface.
    I have seen brakes run metal to metal so long the rotor is worn into the ventilation vanes. I once saw a Jeep where the rotor portion had completely separated from the hub "hat" section, and a as result there where NO front brakes...

However...
    I have NEVER seen a problem that could be diagnosed as a "warped caliper"

Ever.

And while brake fluid is flammable, the nominal boiling point is about 450, and the flashpoint is high enough, you have to have a pretty serious issue to make that a concern even in pretty severe situations.

Yeah, dont spray a atomized leak on red hot surfaces... Etc.
    But...

Beyond that...

We are speaking of neglect. And either wearing that as a badge of honor or a point of humor.

I am at a loss for words.

16. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

1970s british leyland calipers were so badly made they would distort...the cars they made could only be described as 4th rate at best....ever seen an austin allegro?
    many of the parts they used were like balsa wood or chocolate...when they werent deliberately dropping nuts and washers into TR7 gearboxes(really...they did it)...or all on strike they used toffee for parts and painted it...
    morris marinas often had a wheel tucked underneath on one side when torsion bar suspension failed...brake calipers sometimes literally fell apart on them too

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

this truck is 18 yrs old and it has 140,000 miles on it .

it has been sitting this summer but I need it soon. So - gotta spend some dough.

ha ! I need tires too.

getbent likes this.
  18. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

If it's been that long, odds are high you need to do them. Take a look at your pads. You should be at least able to see the outer pads. It's possible the inners are worn more and you can't see them on most cars, but at least check out the outers. OTOH, if it sounds/feels like metal on metal, then skip the check.

Meanwhile, ABS coming on can either be a brake issue or an ABS issue like a bad sensor, corroded connection, or a bad controller.

Either way, if you don't do your own work, visit a shop.

PhredE likes this.
  19. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Time to do it! That is pretty good mileage on a set of brakes.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

many sets of brakes since new.

My work has been sooo local the last 5-6 years I just haven’t put on the mileage

loco gringo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.