1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My bizarre Gibson story...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Sep 19, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The person who will know about this guitar is Walter Carter at Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville. If the guitar was something made by Gibson, even a single “one-off”... Walter will know about it’s existence.

You can email him though his website. He returns emails directly. Pretty quickly too.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  2. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Try writing to the guy that runs this site https://drowninginguitars.com/ he's got a huge collection of Japanese guitars. If it was a Japanese copy, he might be able to help.

Mad Kiwi and thunderbyrd like this.
  3. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

Unless it was a stereo amp it couldn't be stereo. And those buttons are a long way from the electronics. But they're right near the headstock. What if the headstock was spring loaded, one button locked it to the neck, the other allowed it to wiggle, and what you heard was an auto-wiggle, generated by how hard you hit the strings?

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

it's probably a dream you had the you have confused with something that happened. I think many of my memories might be the same things

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Now, I appreciate your long term search for the answer, but this was in the early 1970s, so perhaps, as with lots of us during those days, some experimental recreational treats could have been involved. Affects lasted longer than some might admit too. Just sayin'

thunderbyrd likes this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've played a couple of very interesting ones in my dreams. A red Squier Affinity hardtail strat with a rubber neck plate, and a newer Epiphone Korina Explorer with the sides and 3+3 headstock both painted in Gov't Series beige (although looking more like someone did it with a brush).

But to get back to the topic, some MCI Guitorgans were made with no logo, so someone could have put a Gibson logo on there.
    [​IMG]
    Although that doesn't have those weird switches that were described in the post.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

thanks, GT. i will write to him and see what happens.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. bumnote

I think you saw a MCI Guitorgan. I just watched a video on YouTube demoing one and the player hit a button on the headstock near the nut that engaged an effect on the organ setting he was using...and the headstock is a dead ringer for a Gibson.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  9. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

i did a lot of drugs back then too.

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well, for the 1st time, i think maybe someone's found it - maybe. the thing i'm noticing on the videos is that they all seem to have the gibson "pineapple" inlay. MAYBE that could have thrown me off. but i do not remember the guitar i saw having a bunch of switches and knobs and so forth on the body. anyway, this is closest to an answer i've ever got.

watching this video:

makes me wonder why there aren't more of them! that system would great for small bands! there's lots of musicians who play the type of songs the guy in that video is doing, and being able to add keyboards would be excellent. it would be great for church too. what i can hear in the videos i've watched, i don't think it sounds cheesy at all.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

This is the guy who showed it to you. he lost weight and underwent intensive speech therapy. He became a cocktail lounge performer and sells CDs to seasoned citizens out of the trunk of his 78 cadillac.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  12. bumnote

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Guitorgans were one of those “check this out, this will be really cool” bad ideas.

I knew someone who fell in love with them back in the day. His obsession turned him from a respected player into someone who was the subject of eye rolls, circular index finger temple twiddles and general derision.

In short guitorgans were like a rash that finally went away after a couple of years.

If you find one don’t put in a dumpster. They need to be burnt at high temp so they don’t sprout up again.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I have a bunch of Beatles words and pictures, here, but they're just in a pile and not printed on paper. Could this be what you were missing?

thunderbyrd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.