My 'biggest acoustic gig ever!' this Wednesday!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chiogtr4x, Oct 4, 2021.

1. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Holic

2. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Holic

I tried to reply - all great bands to cover .... I don’t think my first reply worked

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounds great, 4X, break a leg, err...a string.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Thanks!

Our Songlist list is kind of a reflection of much the music I played in earlier 'one genre' bands ( just small, local)

my Classic R&R band, blues bands, Country bands, bluegrass/folk group...
    just all of it now, paired up with a very good bass player, who puts up with me just calling songs out on the fly, and we are a good fit

Chicago Matt likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Sounds fun...totally enjoy!!!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Wish I'd known. (I don't really care for that place or their expensive beer though). Hope it went well.

Interesting thing about that place. The sound from the big stage is mixed into all the little outdoor garden speakers on the property. So even if you're 200 yards from the stage you can hear it (quietly).

Its a huge complex I'm surprised they survived the pandemic.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

used to live in nova.

tis a quality gig location and good time of year to play out.

hope it went well.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Gimble

Gimble Tele-Meister

Best of luck! Break a leg!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. MTPoteet

MTPoteet Tele-Meister

Hope you have a great time!
    Does that really count as an acoustic bass?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

On my 'gig planet' anymore everything is blurred and it just doesn't matter.

By this I just mean almost all my gigs anymore have a huge variety of songs that were originally either 'acoustic guitar' songs or 'electric guitar' songs, but I'm only playing only one of those at a gig ( an acoustic in the duo or an electric/with band), but the same Songlist ( of course there are a few exceptions).
    I'm comfy doing anything on anything now, for about 20 years. a

In 2000, I HAD to play acoustic guitar with my rock band at a bar that had noise issues with neighbors. It was just some BS we had to comply with ( because we still had drums/keys/PA- just me, had to switch!) , but right away, I'm playing Classic Rock on a Martin...

Rob's bass is a semi-acoustic bass ( maybe active piezo or transducers on the saddles?) and it sounds fantastic- he has a fretting/vibrato technique where he sounds fretless and this bass draws it out- growly!

11. Chiogtr4x

Played last night and all went very well, as far as our sets/songs, and sound was fantastic!

Never heard my acoustic so loud and clear ( fantastic monitors) We had our drummer ( last minute) join us with a cajon/tambourine/percussion, and we just grooved.
    3 one hour sets, so a lot of music!

The bad news ( not really bad) it was a damp, grey Wednesday, and not a ton of folks outside- some at tables, but most were regulars, playing Cornhole ( big out here at these brewpubs), so we just did our thing.
    I've played here on electric before, and this is the rare close gig for me,
    I live in Manassas ( which is just expanding!) and 2 Silos is 5 miles away.
    I really thought our band sound was fantastic, we played well, so I'm happy!

12. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I want to hear the Pink Floyd song. I love John Prine, never get enough of him.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

It's my fault, but we have a pretty schizophrenic Songlist.

My bandmates...
    ( across a few different bands- one may be bluesier, one, more Country, one more Dead- but still a lot of the same songs...)
    ... have gotten used to me keeping them in the dark, calling songs ( or just starting them on guitar BUT, we all know the songs really well, so I don't worry!
    I just like to 'feel out' what's going on with crowd at a gig, when picking tunes

John Prine was a real gift to music and the world.
    I play more of his songs at home, for my wife ( who is a Prine nut!), than what actually gets played at gigs

- songs like "Sam Stone" and "Hello In There" are beautiful, but maybe too sad to do at gigs. " Flag Decal" and "The Great Compromise", others- too political, but I love 'em

David C likes this.
  14. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Awesome man!!!! Good luck to you on the gig!!!! BTW I have a Blueridge as well, and it's a great guitar. I have been trying to thin the herd in terms of how much gear I have, and was going to sell it but.... I just can't quite bring myself to do it! LOL!!!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Gig went well, you can read my BS above.

I only have 2 acoustics, and from 1975 ( when I started to play) until 2018, I've really only ever had 1 at a time.
    My Martin D-1 dread since 1993, my longest and I just love it, a 'million gigs and jams'

But always wanted to try a smaller 000 size guitar ( only ever played smaller guitars a few times!), and I have played some friends' Blueridge dreads maybe 10+ years ago, and absolutely loved them.
    So in 2018, I got my 000/OM-28 style Blueridge. Basically played it at home for years, got used to its playing/sound, and in June, had the K&K pickup/preamp installed and started gigging with it- love it!
    Martin is getting ready for 4th set of frets.

Telekarster likes this.
  16. Telekarster

LOL!!! I didn't see the date of your original post! Ha!!! Cool man!!! Glad it all went well! Mine is the BR-180 which is basically a clone of a pre-war D-45. I bought it over 10 years ago on a special sale. It's very finely put together and it has a really dark yet bright tone that compares to my Martin in a lot of ways, hence the reason I can't bring myself to sell it LOL!!! It's the closest I'll ever get to a pre-war D-45 ;)

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

A Country singer I used to play with ( him, rhythm, me leads and fills) has the Adirondack top BR-180A, so I'm familiar. It is SO LOUD, amazing, but honestly I prefer the look of the darker, straighter grain of the Sitka top
    - plus I don't think the wider neck ( the sharp edge) of the Adi top guitars is as comfy as my narrower nut standard- could be just me
    Mine is a 163, the 000 version of their BR-160 ( D-28 style), love it!
    Mine is a loud sucker too- very clear, but not too tinkly! Bold

Telekarster likes this.
  18. Telekarster

Yes indeed, very well put! It is very bold and LOUD and also very sensative for an acoustic. I was actually going to buy the BR-160 at first but then the 180 popped up on a special sale and I just couldn't pass it up LOL! You're right, the 160 is very nice guitar. I think all of the Blueridge's are most likely. But man.... they have really gone up in price!!!! I would'nt have been able to afford it today! :lol::lol::lol:

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Yes, sadly Blueridges are not the cool value they were just a few years ago.
    My 163 is now $1100+, and used to be in the $750 range, yikes!

Seems like Eastman has definitely eclipsed them in value/popularity as the quality import acoustic ( that stays close to Martin- style).

I've never played one, but I bet I'd love a BR-140, their take on a vintage D-18 ( been around some great D-18's at bluegrass jams).
    But too expensive ( the BR and the Martin) for me. But I'm happy!

Telekarster likes this.
  20. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats on a successful gig! Nothing like the feeling of making good music in front of folks to enjoy.

Did you amp it or just play through the PA? Maybe you already said and i missed it.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.