1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My band's new promo video

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Nov 24, 2020.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Let me know what you think (and be gentle!):

Ignore the dude in the red soccer jersey playing bass -- I hate that guy! ;) :D :D :D

2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Which one of those old geezers are you?

(I infer you are the one with the Strat.)

:D:D

3. soulgeezer

I'm the "dude in the red soccer jersey playing bass." I thought the facetiousness of my previous comment would make that obvious. Guess not. Sorry!

SRHmusic likes this.
  4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

The singer looks better than she sings. And she needs to LOSE THE TABLET! I know the words to these songs, and I don't sing lead...
    And what's with footage of guys dancing together?
    On the other hand, the musicians sound really good.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I see that you wrote than under the video, which is a good place to miss things.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Love it! I've played a ton of gigs like that at the legions and so forth...e.g. guys dancing in their hunting clothes, etc.

superjam144 and telestratosonic like this.
  7. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't use it. I actually like the band. Everybody can play, which is unusual in itself, but the guys clothes just look awful; for a demo, those t-shirts have to go. I would at least put everyone in a shirt with a collar. And the guys hardly move. Even just a little rocking back and forth would be a big improvement. You've got the music, but it's called "show" business for a reason. It wouldn't take much effort to substantially up your game.

8. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Ha! You guys should keep that bass player, he sounds pretty good. Hopefully he can find his way to the gigs, and remembers to bring patch cords and a strap:cool:

carpenter and telestratosonic like this.
  9. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Good bass lines. You guys can really pack the dance floor with dudes--I don't see that very often.

telestratosonic likes this.
  10. soulgeezer

Thank you for both the compliments and the constructive criticism -- It's all appreciated!

The video is good enough for the places we're going to be playing. This isn't a wedding band; we're going to be playing bars with folks that look like the guys in that video in the audience. The video is appropriate to the venues we'll be playing. (And, not for nothing, about half the audience that night was transvestites who loved us -- Who'da thought it, eh? ;) :D )

That said, yeah, we could have put a little more thought into the stage presence. My guitar player absolutely refuses to care about it. Any suggestions how to turn him around?

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Turn him around.

bendercaster likes this.
  12. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Turn him around several times, and then refuse to tell him how to get home until he agrees to clean up his act.

superjam144 likes this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

solid bass lines for sure

telestratosonic likes this.
  14. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Please... get rid the tablet, it's so uncool and off putting. Memorize the lyrics and deliver them with conviction! Dylan said " I'll know my song well before I sing it". Suggestion: writing out the lyrics in longhand really helps committing words to memory.
    Some enthusiasm from the band would take it up a notch for sure. Maybe try and look like you're having fun.

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Honestly, I thought the guitar player's presence was fine...other than just all the guys might consider putting some effort into their outfits so they don't look totally out of place next to the two ladies. At the very least everybody could wear a store bought shirt.

I agree with the comment about the ipads and binders...that is the most distracting thing to me. Not so much that they are there, but just that the one lady is literally reading from it and fiddling with it while she is singing the song. I am not completely against the use of them, but it seems like they could be removed from the stage for the filming of a promotional video.

I'm a lead singer too, and I can tell you that for gigs like this, it is not the end of the world if you forget the second verse to Honky Tonk Women or whatever and just repeat the first verse or sing the chorus a few extra times than what may have been on the original recording. Just do it with gusto!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  16. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great dance band! No mean feat to get guys out on the dance floor! I was wondering about all the dudes, just sayin', lol, on the dance floor but towards the end, I did see one gal.

I can live with the one singer looking at the iPad. No one's perfect and remembering lyrics takes work.

The gals look great, said the 71 year-old guy. HOWEVER, they need to ditch the high-heeled boots and just wear sneakers; waaay more comfortable and easier to move around the stage. High heels always make female singers' movements look stilted.

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I used to sit on piano degree recitals, where the pianist would play a 40-minute program from memory. Wrong note clinkers were rare, but memory slips were fairly common. To get out of it, they "skate" by playing a phrase 2 or 3 times before getting back on track. If the tempo held, it was very difficult for me to catch. Their teachers knew, though.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  18. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Like some other comments already made I'm not sure why, for a promo video, you would need (or want) the tablet and the music stand....that's a bit mysterious to me!! And the dance floor could have used some gals......(not that there's anything wrong with it :) )

19. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What's with the sausage fest in the audience?

Colo Springs E, Bella and joe_cpwe like this.
  20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Nice! I think the tablet is fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.