My band is playing some Dead Songs and I like it

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Ive been playing Dead tunes constantly in my band(s) since 1974. Some bands were fully "Deadicated" cover bands, in other bands I mixed the Dead/JGB tunes in with other artists songs that I like. The latter is the model for my current band.

I like to say "These days you can't flick a roach and not hit a Grateful Dead, or JGB Tribute band.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I think it’s great to pepper in a few Dead songs here and there. Especially if you treat it as a relaxed improv-type jam.

Before a recent 20-song gig my 3 kids started learning Althea. It wasn’t show-ready yet and wasn’t on their set-list, but they got a request for a Dead song just as they were wrapping up, so gave it a shot. They’ll definitely be adding more Dead, as they enjoyed the reaction (a handful of Deadheads, up out of their seats, dancing / gyrating).

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
In the country/americana project I am in we do Althea, Cumberland Blues, Deal, Catfish John (not an original Dead tune but a JGB cover) and country tunes that the Dead did: Mama Tried (with their change to the bVII in the chorus), The Race is On, Big River.
We tried Alabama Getaway once but my friend completely butchered the lyrics (worse than Jerry would :lol:) and so we have not done it since.
Jerry tunes are so much easier than Bob tunes.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
No. I play it pretty straight. That’s a good idea though.
I've just always thought that the Dead's version is their straight up reggae song. Pretty much all non reggae artists from the 70's had a reggae song. I've love to make a collection of them all one day. I hear so much reggae in Jerry's music just not as much as there is in Crazy Fingers. I hear reggae in Mississippi 1/2 step, Row Jimmy and even Ramble on Rose. I love that you're playing Crazy Fingers!

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I noticed we had a lot of GD-looking folks coming to our gigs. So I suggested we do Shakedown Street. Every time we play it a whole bunch of people start dancing, so it's a winner. We should probably do one or two more....I've always loved Scarlet Begonias and Sugar Magnolia. Great lyrics.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've heard some GD songs recently (with Jerry vocals) I hadn't heard before, and was very impressed.

I'm starting to think, what was "wrong" with the whole Dead experience was, the audience just has horrible taste (and most DJs, likewise) and so the band had been playing the world some of the less impressive songs by this band (and most covers of others by the Grateful Dead are not good). Just weird.

I need to start a thread like that: Play me some GD recordings, of seriously overlooked songs. With emphasis on songs not necessarily easily identifiable as them. Now that I know some exist, let's find more.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Brown Eyed Women is really fun to play. I figured out the real chords to Crazy Fingers a while back. That was really hard to figure out. View attachment 978405
Played thru that, fun!; thanks.

Majority of bands I've been in have played some Dead, especially the last one which had plenty ... I enjoyed playing Scarlet, Eyes, and Shakedown the most but all are good by me!

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
I think it's great that bands are playing GD songs. They had some great ones. Their music deserves to be heard.

I know a couple of songs, Box of Rain and Uncle John's Band. I should learn some more.

Last edited:

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I have never really listened to the Dead, but much like Sinatra famously said that "Something" is his favorite Lennon/McCartney song, "Friend of the Devil" is my favorite Bob Dylan song.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
Garcia and Hunter were one of the great songwriting duos. Bertha, Brown Eyed Women, Scarlet Begonias, Loser, Row Jimmy . . . They produced so many great songs.

It's funny playing them because they often sound like straightforward country tunes until I try to play them. Garcia's chord changes don't follow any standard logic.