My band is playing some Dead Songs and I like it

noname_dragon

Tele-Holic
We play "Alabama Getaway", "Shakedown Street", "US Blues"and "Beat On Down the Line". They are fun to play and Sing... And play guitar Jerry style!
I was never a huge fan of the Dead over the years since sitting in smoke filled rooms grooving to American Beauty. Our drummer recently brought these songs to the band that plays country and rock. I've noticed that these songs get a good reaction at the gigs... there are Deadheads on the down low everywhere!

Last edited:

bowman

Friend of Leo's
An old blues rock band of mine learned 2 Dead songs because some loyal friends who were Deadheads came to all our gigs. First time we played ‘em, ALL the people liked them. We were really surprised, but we went back to the well and learned 3 or 4 more right away. We spread them out over the night and it went over very well.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Favorites of mine to cover-

Bertha
Althea
Jack Straw
Brown Eyed Women
New Speedway Boogie
I Know You Rider
Mr. Charlie
Loose Lucy
Black Muddy River

And tons more. I’ve played in bands that did “All Dead All Night” special shows and it was so much fun. Never less than a packed house for those, and the vibe is always so good.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
Whatever else anybody might think about the Dead, their songs were great. Their versions of covers were great, and their originals were outstanding. Nobody wrote lyrics like Robert Hunter, and John Perry Barlow was no slouch. Dead tunes will almost always get a crowd going.

I have friends who have an excellent Dead-based band, and my wife and I go to see them whenever we can. The crowds are largely much younger than we are, and they're totally into it - singing along and dancing. Some of them even have a pretty good tie-dye twirl going on.

Several times, we've been approached by twenty-somethings who want to tell us how great it is that we're there? I guess because we're so old we must have been in on the original scene?

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
An old blues rock band of mine learned 2 Dead songs because some loyal friends who were Deadheads came to all our gigs. First time we played ‘em, ALL the people liked them. We were really surprised, but we went back to the well and learned 3 or 4 more right away. We spread them out over the night and it went over very well.

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
Brown Eyed Women is really fun to play. I figured out the real chords to Crazy Fingers a while back. That was really hard to figure out.
image.jpg

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
"Eyes of the World", "Franklins Tower", "Althea", "West LA Fadeaway", "Friend of the Devil" and Ripple and a Jazz is Dead influenced original instrumental called "Jerry's Ghost" all on Gnometown Heros setlist, I love playing "Eyes of the World" the most

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
We play "Alabama Getaway", "Shakedown Street", "US Blues"and "Beat On Down the Line". They are fun to play and Sing... And play guitar Jerry style!
I was never a huge fan of the Dead over the years since sitting in smoke filled rooms grooving to American Beauty. Our drummer recently brought these songs to the band that plays country and rock. I've noticed that these songs get a good reaction at the gigs... there are Deadheads on the down low everywhere!
Knock'em Dead!

6stringcowboy

Friend of Leo's
We are everywhere!