My band has been rehearsing for six months...

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Blazer, Mar 31, 2017.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Six months to learn ten songs?

How drunk are you guys?

As to others not having been there...

Take my word for it, we've ALL been there!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    brbadg and daddyplaysbass like this.
  2. UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken The Smooth and the Fast

"Seventh: How can you guys judge me when you haven't even BEEN THERE?"

Because internet.

Fire drummer.

awasson and papa32203 like this.
  3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, Blazer, Seems like you are wondering why people here are sounding critical. Maybe it's a cultural or language issue, but from over here in the states, it sounds very far-fetched that a group could rehearse together for 6 months and not expect the drummer to be a screw-up, if he does it all the time. On top of that, getting so very angry about a ten minute jam gig, makes no sense at all from my perspective, really baffling. Plus 6 months, 10 songs? Doesn't add up.

You know your post would be seen by many musicians who have "been there" and know exactly what it's like to have someone train-wreck a song, so it seems strange that you would dismiss people's comments as being somehow clueless and uninformed. I hope things get better for your group.

brbadg, daddyplaysbass and awasson like this.
  4. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

I know it will sound conceited, but no- I have not been THERE- where the OP and his drunk, braggart drummer were.
    Of course I've been in some wrecks- definitely caused a few- but, they were kind of fun in a sick-sort-of-way.
    The internet is crawling with video evidence of even the greatest of our times screwing-the-pooch. It really is funny, no matter who does it- and the world keeps on turning.....

5. soulgeezer

My point was that we've all been in train wrecks, due to idiot band members. That's all I meant.

brbadg likes this.
  6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, we don't have a problem with all of this. What we don't believe is that the entire room emptied because the drummer stopped playing for a few measures. You said that he stopped and then you turned to yell at him, and by the time you turned back, everybody was leaving. You said 80% of the crowd was gone by the time he started playing again.
    That is really hard to believe.

Even the most hostile crowd will simply wait until you guys have finished your ten minutes, and then they'll enjoy the next band. In fact, many people would stay to watch the obvious drama playing out on stage.

So, Blazer. Buddy. :) Did, in fact, the entire crowd get up and leave? Or did a few people leave, and you figured it would make a better story if you said that everyone left? Don't worry, everyone exaggerates now and then. :) We won't hold it against you. Maybe you could draw a Daria cartoon about it. We like your Daria cartoons.

maxvintage likes this.
  7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

because you provided a story, to people who HADN'T EVEN BEEN THERE, and asked them to comment on it?

I'm "judging" you based on exactly what you asked me, and others, to comment on. Because I wasn't there, the story is entirely unclear, and you didn't explain it well, and still asked people to comment on it. YOU ASKED us to judge the situation.

The story still makes very little sense to me, and maybe it's a language issue or a cultural issue. I've never lived in the netherlands. It seems like this:

1. You had six months to rehearse ten songs.
    2. the gig was apparently a showcase of some sort, where everybody knew the drummer. Were the other people also in bands?
    3. the drummer stopped playing and muffed the transition from a familiar standard to an original tune
    4. this caused people to walk out

I still don't understand why the audience starts leaving. Frankly If the drummer was an unreliable drunken braggart and I knew him to be an unreliable drunken braggart I would not walk out when he F'ed up, I'd stick around to see it happen again.

If the drummer's an unreliable drunk get rid of him.

brbadg and awasson like this.
  8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Do I detect tensions within the band?

9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

If nothing else, TDPRI is a forum that is loaded with experienced, knowledgeable players of all levels. Let me repeat that – all levels.

Some kindly took your story at face value and offered advice. That was sweet of them. I value advice I've gotten here.

Others found it and unbelievable story, and amusingly egotistical. I'm in this camp.

I've been a pro or semi-pro for 50 years. I've played in Original Rock Bands trying to "make it". I've played in cover bands. I've played, Rock, R&B, Funk, Standards, Soul, Americana, Country-Rock, Folk-Rock, Blues…

Nothing you said related to anything I've ever experienced in band, rehearsal and performance situations.

So, have I been "there"? No. But that's because nobody has.

P.

maxvintage and Mid Life Crisis like this.
  10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I'd honestly find a new drummer / band.

Six months is a long time to learn (or not learn, in your drummer's case) ten songs.

I auditioned for a band one January, and was gigging with them two months later.

11. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Oh, and I will give advice.

Cutsey segues, time signature changes, precise and complex arrangements are great if you're Kansas, but a local amateur band doing a 3-song showcase? Keep it simple.

If things were to go south, you don't have time to recover. You give a good show, you will be forgiven a glitch. But the show better be long enough to allow you to win the audience over.

P

12. CK5150

CK5150 Tele-Meister

To piggyback on Paul G's advice - you stated that while you were playing Honky Tonk Woman the crowd was grooving and into it - why would you stop? I know you have your original you want to play but one of the big rules of show business is if a crowd is enjoying something DO NOT ABRUPTLY STOP DOING THAT THING and, if possible, do more of it! You could've played out HTW all the way and still had time to do your original as you stated that after the train wreck you just did blues noodling the rest of the time.

Also - never yell at, chastise, or call attention to a band members mistake while on stage. It's extremely unprofessional and in my opinion the audience probably had a lower opinion of you for acting that way than they did of the drummer for making a mistake.

13. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Words of wisdom.

14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I meant "been there" as in at the venue, seeing it happen.

15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

1mllfq.jpg

AAT65, brbadg, Flat6Driver and 2 others like this.
  16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

This. If we have a groove going and the crowd dancing we keep it going--extend the song, and/or play a song as much like it as possible.

If we have to we often sing a similar song to the same beat.

Also if somebody f's up never call them out like that unless it's good natured. If you make a mistake I'll shrug it off and bring it up later. If you call me out publicly expect a heated confrontation later. It's just unprofessional

brbadg likes this.
  17. soulgeezer

Clearly, the band in the OP is incapable of improvising even the smallest variation from what they have "rehearsed" for months and months and months, to what should be the point of being able to play it in their sleep. However, it's clear that not only can't they play it in their sleep, they choke in front of an audience and get angry about it and start throwing blame around and making excuses.

I've been in bands like this. I was 15 years old at the time (and we were all convinced we were going to be rock stars), but I've played in groups that couldn't do even simple things correctly and then devolved into arguments and screaming matches. But, again, I was much younger and less experienced than I am now.

Perfection isn't the point of playing music, unless you're Robert Fripp. The measure of a professional is the ability to play through mistakes, so that the audience isn't even aware that a mistake has been made. I literally do this every single time I play live in front of an audience.

Hell, we even have a thing we do at my band's rehearsals, where if somebody screws up, we keep going and at the end of the song, turn to each other and ask, "Would an audience have noticed that?" See? That's how you do it.

Covering mistakes is part of playing live. There is NO way around it. If you can't play through mistakes in front of an audience, you aren't a competent performer or musician. And, if you keep a known screw up on board - especially an unreliable drummer! - then the ship deserves to sink.

My two cents -- YMWV!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I have had situations where a song just will not work.
    I have never had a drummer who could nail the cross beat of 'Radar Love'.
    The solution is simple.
    You drop the song.

brbadg, Doghouse_Riley and McGlamRock like this.
  19. soulgeezer

Really? It's a shuffle! What kind of drummers have you been playing with?

But, yeah, I've been in bands where we've dropped songs, too. I remember dropping "Owner of a Lonely Heart" because we just couldn't get it. It happens sometimes. You just have to be confident enough in your own playing to admit it. Some folks seem incapable of doing this. (Which, by the way, might be indicated in the OP, where he says something like "We had a score to settle after the last debacle." That's NOT a good attitude. You don't play to settle scores; you play to have fun and entertain an audience. An attitude like the one described in the OP might be the crux of this entire issue, no? Seems like it to me.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  20. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

@Blazer It sounds like a painfully awkward band situation. Surely the band could/should split and reform with more musically and perhaps personally compatible players?

Anyway, one thing occurred to me this morning... could it be that the medley just plain sucks?

Have you and your band recorded your rendition of HTW with the time change and transition into Catface? It's a good way to hear whether your ideas sound good beyond how they sound in your head or from your perspective. I've done that before and found that most of the time my ideas are solid but in some cases an idea sounds great to me but in the context of a performance or in a band setting, it falls flat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.