1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My babies are locked up in chains :-(

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by brother1, Oct 21, 2020.

1. brother1

brother1 TDPRI Member

I just want to ask if anyone has kept guitars in climate controlled storage for a long period of time and what can I expect to find when I open the cases. All of my guitars are either in good gigbags or with my Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, this is in a hard shell case. In addition each of them were sealed in shipping cartons before I left the state. It's been 18 months already and anxious to get back to them to see if they've suffered the neglect. Thanks guys, gals.

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Oof. Tough call. It depends on how controlled the climate controlled storage is / was.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You may be looking at some new "hybrid" guitar offspring. :p

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

They'll be fine.
    The big worry with stuff like that is a super quick / massive temperature and or humidity change. So long as the environmental changes are somewhat slow and / or controlled and you are not going from boiling to freezing in 15 min., they will probably be fine.
    I've had to leave guitars bagged and / or cased for months at a time. Never had an issue.

Martian, KirbyBarba, stepvan and 3 others like this.
  5. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

They came from Asia by boat in a non- climate controlled shipping container. They'll be fine in storage.

6. Renegade

Renegade Tele-Meister

You should be fine...guitars are shipped all over the world in non-climate controlled environments.
    I would suggest that once you get them back home, you give then some time to acclimate before opening the cases.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The only thing to mention is make sure the strings/guitar are all sweaty from gigs etc before storing.

brother1 likes this.
  8. brother1

brother1 TDPRI Member

Some of your replies are quite humorous and they're always enjoyed and appreciated. I'll go with Glenlevit's conclusion as well as the suggestions that these guitars do go through some crazy conditions when they're shipped in ocean going containers. I also liked the suggestion that I should get my babies all sweated and worked up before leaving them, ha. I'm not obsessive about my stuff but because I buy and sell I do like to keep them up. Thanks all.

Skamania likes this.
  9. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

They should be fine. Rapid or extreme changes in temperature or the level of humidity the instruments stored in are the bad guys. I would think "climate controlled" would address those issues. I'm guessing a possible truss rod adjustment and a fresh setup are all you're looking at.

10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this your introduction? If so, welcome to the fold. We need guitar pics to validate your membership.

11. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Are these acoustic guitars?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.