My assimilation into tube addiction...a love story.

Jonymacmadcap

TDPRI Member
As stated in a post elsewhere, I began my descent into gear depravity last December with the decision to teach myself guitar. What a fun journey.

I had a Katana 50 mk1 that was just amazing. For a while I was sure it was the holy grail. Then I ran across the Epiphone Valve Standard for low-dough. Sat it next to the Katana and after some knob twiddling, came to the realization that three really was no contest. Even the often maligned Epiphone, with no pedals in front yet, sounded much, much closer to the sounds in my head.

Then the V32 dropped in my lap. I played it once for about ten minutes in the shop, and immediately ran home to wrap up the Katana/airstep rig for trade in. I really felt like this was a no brainer. Same feelings evoked as the Epiphone, only "more" and "bigger."
THEN after doing some reading on them both, find out that folks who own them consider them to be real sleeper amp. I have got to say, I concur, based on about a month-ish of playing these side by side.
As they sit now the Epiphone has proved to be a really capable amp. I loaded two new JJ EL84 power tube in, and run a Joyo American Sound and Caline Mellow drive into the front. Sounds coming out are just beautiful. The Epiphone loves single coils and Humbuckers, but I mostly play my Tele through it.
The V32 is just such a suprise. I can honestly say that I can go for. Vox-AC30 type tone to Marshall-ish type tone, to Fender BF-ish-ness. This with NO pedals, just knob twiddling.
It runs hot, fan inside the cab took care of that. It's really just an amazing amp. I paid around $100 for each. (out of pocket. Not including the Katana trade in)
I now TOTALLY get the whole "Tube vs. Digi." thing. While modlers really are awesome, and I'm sure I will have another, there really is no substitute for the tones I am finding on these two boxes of tiny awesomeness....that is all...carry on.
IMG_20220910_131346548.jpg
Attach22933_20220827_123008.jpg
IMG_20221001_145429675.jpg

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
You are only the second person I've come across to own the Epi amp. A friend of mine also owns one, but she bought it from the Gibson store in Nashville (I've never heard it and she seldom plays her guitar), and there's not a single store in the greater Toronto area that carries it.

Jonymacmadcap

TDPRI Member
Glad you found something you like. I'm pretty certain that you'll get an earful of what others think/feel about tube vs SS amps. ;)

Have fun
Oh, I'm sure. Thing is, the Katana is what made.me want to try tubes. I thought that if tubes sounded and/or "felt" better, I would effectively be green-lighted to explore tubes at that point. No regrets so far.

Jonymacmadcap

TDPRI Member
You are only the second person I've come across to own the Epi amp. A friend of mine also owns one, but she bought it from the Gibson store in Nashville (I've never heard it and she seldom plays her guitar), and there's not a single store in the greater Toronto area that carries it.
The thing is, on it's own the Epi is a little "farty" down low. A different tube in V1 helped, but the two pedals in front really changed the game. It's a fantastic pedal platform stock. I'm going to swap a different speaker in at some point. Probably an Eminence of some sort.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Congratulations on the amps! I have a mix of SS and tube amps, mostly low watt models.

They fit my needs.