1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Amp took a Dump at a Gig

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OlRedNeckHippy, Sep 15, 2013.

1. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

67 Princeton Reverb
    Practiced for an hour this morning with the amp, then packed up, took a nap, a shower, guys showed up, we loaded and headed off, 5:00.

Get there, all hooked up, and the Princeton is quiet. A slight hum. No other noise. Guitar straight in. No sound. All tubes lit. Reseat all tubes. No noise.
    Give up.
    Make phone calls for amp delivery, no help.
    Brought my old Deluxe 112, SS 92w, for a friend to sit it with. Used it.
    Lead player bowed out for the friend to use his rig. Flawless. Dude nailed to leads in Simple Man. Awesome.

All in all it was a very good night.
    Had a real sound man, and his massive rig. Every drum had a mic, e609's on guitar amps, etc...
    Singing was so much fun with the big PA. Hit, almost, all my leads tonight.

Our lead player is what I affectionately call a hired gun. It's really Fun playin with a hired gun lead player. Dude's awesome. Can play anything. finding a lead player willing to play country in Jersey is proving to be tough. Have him again next Sat for a festival. He's so much fun to play with. Ups all our games.

Serious Noise at this bar!
    Tele Noise.
    Lookin for the sweetspot on the stage, just a floor with a drum riser.
    Playin a Nashville. Switch pos 2 & 4 were quiet, 1, 3 & 5 were screaming., The Paul was quiet. Glad I had the Nashville.

I'll talk to my tech tomorrow. Might have to play the festival with the 112. Could be worse.

2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I always bring a spare amp which has come in handy quite a few times when the starter amp just started going bad...I am always grateful to have a spare.Tube amps in particular are fragile and you never know when trouble can arise.

3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

You have a great attitude in spite of the equipment failure. I like how you focused on the good things. Inspiring. Wish I could do that after my challenging stage-problems. Backups are where it's at. They call me Redundant Randy, or Spare Sam. I even have a 9V in my gig bag. Don't use pedals lately, but I've put a smile on a player who needed one at a gig.

4. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Sounds like an excellent gig despite the amp woes. Another backup option, which can work well if you know there is a good PA and engineer, is to carry a good Amp-Simulator (e.g. Sansamp) which can go straight into the PA. One of my best gigs I remember was through a JD10 into the PA, after taking time to get a good monitor mix including the guitar. I've only tried a couple of analogue sims, don't know if the modelling ones are as good.

5. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

I have brought a back up amp to every gig but one in the last 10 years. Guess which gig I had amp problems? It was so Murphy's law all you could do was laugh about it. Never again though! I pack a blues jr in addition to my main amp for the night every time.

6. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Things to check on your PR: reverb cables - make sure they are pushed in good...top and bottom.

Also check the speaker wires, make sure the power cable didn't pull one loose. And if it has a plug in speaker wire, make sure it's seated good. (can't remember if it plugs in or not).

Plug in your guitar cable and unplug it several times real fast in jack (could be a dirty jack).

Sorry about your amp, hope it's a simple fix. Sounds like you're having fun though.

7. Rocketman_ab

Rocketman_ab Tele-Meister

Sounds like you had a really good night. Gotta love playing live music, and that high that it gives you. Is there anything better?

8. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The Deluxe 112 Plus is a decent enough bit of kit. I have one that used to be my main working amp. It's not my favourite any more but it's loud, clean, unsurprisingly Fenderish-sounding, reliable, completely giggable and I still bring it out from time to time.

I sometimes have a back-up amp with me, just in case, but I haven't needed one yet. On other occasions, as Miff suggests, my Zoom G3, which lives in my car, would serve the purpose as it can be connected directly to the PA. I used it for my effects for a while, but not any more as I prefer my regular pedalboard. However, it's a handy safety-net.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Wait a sec. Your over and 50 aren't you even going to try changing a tube or two? At least the preamp tubes.
    I expect this sort of thong with the younger guys but us old farts used to have to start cars with out electronic fuel injection on cold mornings with manual chokes !
    You should be able to swap a 12ax7 or 12at7.

10. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Ah, well, there you go. In my experience transistors very rarely cease to transist... ;) :twisted: :lol:

11. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Dispite amp failure a good night. I really miss not playing live anymore and my band really also did a nice version of Simple Man. Good memory's.

Enjoy the gigging.

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Glad you had a good night anyway.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A bad night gigging is better than a good day at work every time.

14. OlRedNeckHippy

Thanks guys.
    What are you gonna do? We came to have fun, right? Well lets not let Anything stop us! We sure ain't in it for the money. We each brought home 80 bucks for our efforts.

At one point I snapped at the bass player "Quit askin me questions. I'm a little tense." I'm on the floor with the amp upside down and a flashlight reseating the tubes. Drummer grabs the bass player, says "let him be".

Yea, backups. The 112 came through.
    The PA guy (Craig Dyer, Swedesboro, NJ, one of the best) had a amp simulator in his rack. He plays guitar through it sometimes. It was an option we discussed, but didn't end up using. Nice to know it was there though.

BobbyZ:
    I've been shopping for a complete set of tubes as a backup, but every time I do I get completely confused and give up. I'm a singer that really started playing electric guitar in earnest less than 2 years ago. Acoustic all my life, hence the 112, but this is my first tube amp, and I'm just learning.
    The confusion on the tubes is, for example, I've found 6L6's from $20 to $100. NOS and other acronyms... Which ones to get?
    I had planned on taking the amp and a couple of my guitars to the tech someday soon, but never got my Round-To-It. I was going to let him get me a complete set.
    He is an old friend from high school and an hour away, but he's the best in the region. (Rick Emery, Main Line Music, Ardmore, PA.)

TeleTim:
    I'm gonna go try your suggestions right now. Thank You!

15. OlRedNeckHippy

While taking the reverb tank out of it's bag, this, fell out of the bag. Anybody know what it is?

Attached Files:

16. OlRedNeckHippy

Following TeleTim's advice, I took the reverb cables off at both ends. The connections had a fair bif of oxidation on them. Cleaned them up real good, figured out what the pin was and tapped it back in, put it all back together.
    Plugged a guitar straight in, turned it on,

It Works! Fully Functional.

Thank You TeleTim!

While waiting for it to warm up, volume knopb off, I heard a little "pop". Thought oh, that's not good. Turned the volume knob up and it was fully funcitional.

??? I think it's going in for a checkup.

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With an amp that old, something has to give.

The good news: it is still running.
    Makes it a lot easier to diagnose.

She'll be back and, screaming with the best of them in no time.

18. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Based on an old B&W episode of Dragnet I saw when I was a kid, I think it's a little bag of heroin.

IIRC, Sgt Joe Friday was looking for drugs at a cocktail lounge, questioned the guitar player, tipped his Fender tweed upside down and a tiny bag of smack fell out that looks just like the one you're holding.

You don't forget things like that, you know what I mean?

Not to make you paranoid or anything.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.