My Amp is Better than Your Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by StephaninMelb, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

This is the Forum for anyone that thinks they have the best amp. The object is to present your case and back it with facts and evidence. May the best amp win...

:eek: Crikey

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

OK, I'll play.

My amp is a Peavey VTM 60 through a Peavey Classic 412es cab because that gets my tone better than any other I've tried. And I've tried a lot of amps.

[​IMG]

3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Not the best , but darned good .
    OEM 66 Fender Bassman head and Fender Ultralight Jazzmaster 112 cabinet . Small but mighty .

4. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Mesa Express 5:50

I've been playing Mesa Express 5:50 for over a year in pop/blues/rock bands and I'm completely satisfied. It is two channels with four levels of gain.

The clean is a good as any. Reverb is not classic Fender surf but very good.
    Blues gain is where I spend most of my time. Nice ringing blues to jangly crunch.
    Crunch gain is classic rock goodness in the Mesa flavor, it's not Marshall.
    Burn gain I don't use but it is musical.

It is 50w/5w switchable but there is not a huge difference in volume it just break up sooner.

[​IMG]

5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

I may have a better amp than you (68bandmaster...it's better because it's a dripedge...blackface innards, sf outer, read: cheaper)
    But you're probably a better guitarist than me.

6. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

@ SaxforBlues

That Mesa 5:50 feature of switching between 5W & 50 is interesting. One thing you wrote that caught my eye was:

"It is 50w/5w switchable but there is not a huge difference in volume it just break up sooner."

Lots of people don't understand the relationship between perceived volume and wattage, so it didn't surprise me to read that it sounds fairly close between between 5W and 50W. The actual relationship between the two is that that is takes ten times the power of wattage to double sound. So the 50W is only double the volume of the 5W not ten times. It would take 500W to double the volume of the 50W.

That ability your amp has to switch to 5W and break early is a real useful feature. Lots if owners with 100W tube amps aren't able to push their amps effectively to break point in smaller club situations. BTW you have a real sweet looking rig... What is also beaut is that your rig matches your playing style.

7. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

@ Otterhound

Ah the old Blackface Bassman - mighty they are indeed. Not to mention they look real cool. There is something about that rich sound a '66 Bassman put out. They are starting to become rare on the resale market, so you'd want to keep that one. It is a wonderful amp...

8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

December 30, 2011.

I bought a 65 Twin Reverb amp.

No, not a reissue.

A freekin' real 65 Twin Reverb. It sounds incredible!!! I've been thru at least 20 amps in the last 30 years and I finally found the one I was looking for. Better than all the rest combined.... I still can't believe I have a '65 Twin, made in 1965, lovingly cared for all these years.

9. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

@ e-merlin

The Peavy VTM60 late 80s all valve mojo. That is a bit of a cult amp and owners describe that good cleans and capable of very high gainnnnnnnnnn overdrive. They are said to resemble Marshall JCM 800 224 tone with higher gain ability. I have always liked the tone of amps that use 6L6GC tubes. A real keeper - former owners later regret selling their VTM60s...

There are lots of circuit mods for that amp, but best to leave it classic. A truely good amp... your Telecasters are looking pretty good too ;)

10. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

@ chippertheripper

It would be great to see a pic of your '68 Fender Bandmaster Dripedge Piggyback. Send one in if you can!

They really capture that Fender 60s look - tweed - chrome & black.

Under the hood
    Pre amp: 1 x 12AX7, 2 x 7025, 1 x 12AT7
    Power: 2 x 6L6
    Bias: Fixed
    Rectifier: Solid State or 5AR4

(1) Vol / Treb / Bass (2) Vol / Treb / Bass / Speed / Intensity
    Two inputs
    Vibrato
    Bright switch
    Fender Jewell pilot light
    Silver w/blue lables
    Black 1-10 knobs
    Black tolex & blue sparkle cloth
    30 lbs.

1968 Fender Bandmaster Dripedges were a "transition year." Early 68 ones have the older AB768 ircuit, which was used from 1963 until early 1983. Then later in '83 they switched to the AA568 circuit. Some people didn't like that later circuit. They price if starting to climb on those. Expect to see a doubling within a short period, with prices currently going through the $500 to $600 range for a good example. I expect it puts out that airy Fender tone with a chime quality.

She would have a nice tone your '68. The earliest of these (Aug. ’67 to July ’68) had aluminum grill trim, black vertical lines on the control panel, and a highly textured version of the famous silver/blue sparkle grill cloth. In addition, the speaker cabinet was enlarged and ported. In June 1968, the Bandmaster was given the infamous AC568 silverface circuit. BTW a '67 Bandmaster head & cab are crossing $1500 for a good example.

Be good to get your description of the tone... she is a keeper

11. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

@ Big Bend

Well you certainly have picked up one of those legiondary amp models. Another great 6L6 amp... The Blackfaces are a real favorite. I can appreciate why you are so excited about your particular 65 Fender. It is especially a bonus that you were able to pickup a well cared for example. Your amp is well documented so I won't get into the details. I am interested in your description of the tone and what tubes you are running in her! Has it been modded at all?

12. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

@ Otterhound

Put up a pic of your 66 Bassman if you can

13. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

My first amp.
    It's green.
    You'll never find another one in original (or even working) condition.

I win.

14. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

'67 Super Reverb. All original except for a recent cap job and one speaker that was changed before I bought it, but it's a Fender Special, so still pretty close to stock. I've owned it since the early 80's.

It sucks.

No, wait. I'm wrong. The amp is pretty good. It's my playing that sucks.

Justin

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can't find a better amp than my Roland Cube 80XLs.
    I have two.
    I also love my Bass Cube 120.
    No, I don't work for Roland, and I don't sell them (anymore).
    I keep looking, but nothing is lighter, louder, cheaper, more versatile or dependable.
    The dern thing lives in my car trunk when I'm not gigging.
    It doesn't care how hot or cold it gets, it keeps working and sounding great.
    I like tube amps, but they are delicate to drag around and gig with.

16. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

What size are the speakers in the beast?

17. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

@ Davo

Only another Aussie would recognise the Greenmachine. Savage amplifiers were true product of fine Australian engineering of the early 1970's. Do you have one of the orange bass amps to match? Ahh the things one can see when visiting the clubs of Adelaide. Don't tell me you were in Mobius mate? These days you would be on stage with matchin green safety vests like you see all over australia the construction workers and commercial drivers wearing.

I undertand they wer sold on the cheap and the manufacturer had a deal with free repairs - like a free refill at McDonalds. Operating time was said to be measured in hours. But it is said once they went through this cycle that after that they settled down for several years.

You should post pics of the back mate. Incrediable it ran all those years. We can laugh, but it said to have good tone. Give us a description of the tone.

Could you please go check the nameplate and see if it actually reads "Salvage" or is it "Savage" just paying you out mate - which we only do in Aussieland if we like someone...

Black front panel with green silk-screen overlay (orange for bass).
    Large black Sato knobs.
    Power: (claim) 85 watts into 4 ohms
    Line and distortion sockets on the rear

BTW a Savage techo wrote this about his experience trying to keep these things "alive:"

"The name Savage sticks in my mind because they had to be the worst horror show I ever had the misery to deal with, and in bulk. There is nothing quite so depressing to a tech as an amplifier where repairs won't stick; where it blows up again under test.

The basic problem was that the manufacturer had simply ignored the maximum voltage ratings of all the transistors they used and major blow-ups under normal conditions were certain and frequent.

When they let go they literally vaporised just about every transistor in the amp, leaving blacked circles of char and the remains of melted leads where they once had been. A truly ugly sight.

You think I exaggerate?

I heavily modified about five of these for a friend who owned a music shop and who had been unfortunate enough to be impressed by their looks and price.

After the mods they made only 60 watts, but at least they would do it all night without smoke.

If ever there was an amp to give transistors a bad name and confirm a love of valves, Savage has to be it. Looks very imposing but the design is inherently unreliable in its original form, and didn't sound that great either.

It's not just guitar amps. I've met gear across the board that has been improperly designed for its job. These always have unhappy endings because the owner always transfers responsibility for the basic design defects to the repairer. On the bench a simple repair job turns into a design nightmare as you try to make a sows' ear work properly. After a number of brusing encounters this is one of a few amp names I would refuse as a repair.

Avoid. Or gut it and put your own dreams in the seviceable chassis and case."

http://www.ozvalveamps.org/savage.htm

18. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    This may be cheating but these two together sounds better than any one amp I've ever heard (under 15 watts, that is). The other fills in the missing freq the other is missing and vice versa.

19. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

A Winner!

Honesty trumps hype, every time.

Let me tell you a story about the amps everyone makes fun of. When we were (MUCH) younger, we sneered at those old fashioned suitcase tweed covered Fender amps...you know...those "old" Bassmans, Deluxes, Tremoluxes, etc. Why? Because we had those "new" tan colored Fenders. Yeah, we thought we were cool. Then one day they unboxed the NEW Fender amps down at Doman's music. I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Jesus, they were BLACK. Black tolex EVERYWHERE! I groaned "oh no"...suddenly, our old brown Fenders were looking pretty shabby and uncool. We were crushed. How could Fender do that to us?

The snotty rich kid bands in town had their dads go down right away, trade in the cream/tan/brown stuff and buy new black Fenders for them, along with matching suits.

Meanwhile, we who lived on the poor side of the tracks were stuck with the now obsolete and hated brown stuff. Some of my friends painted their cream, tan and brown Fenders with black spray paint, to try to keep up...really.

I never got it. I still thought my 62 Concert sounded good. So did my 63 Vibroverb. What was the big deal? Didn't matter. I was an outcast, with my old fashioned brown tolex and oxblood grill cloth.

Heck, I like the Savage. It SCREAMS Late 70's early 80's industrial gorp design. A classic in its own twisted way.

:)

20. r1962j

r1962j Tele-Meister

Ok, I'll play for fun too. I have several but I'll pick my Ampeg. It's a 1967 B12-XTC. They only made it the one year. It's a flip top 4x12. I got it from the original owner who was a friend of my Dad's. It is all original including tubes and sounds amazing. I just had it in to Savage Audio to have it checked out and they gave it the thumbs up. It's a 2 channel amp with 4 inputs, reverb is asignable to both or either channels and it has true vibrato. It has the most amazing reverb and the depth of the total sound is awesome! It's nearly perfect except it weighs 123 lbs.!!!!! :D hmm.... I tried to attach pics but it didn't work. sorry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.