My amp doesn’t like my cell phone.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mike Eskimo, May 12, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

It costs nothing to lay the phone down someplace other than the amp you're playing on. Fixing bad house wiring costs a lot more.

It's the wireless on the phone. Nothing more. Nothing less. If my phone is on top of my guitar amp, there's noise. If I lay it down on my bass amp right next to my guitar amp, no noise. If I'm playing the bass amp, noise. If I move the phone to the guitar amp, no noise. It's less than a foot difference. I use my phone for practice almost every day. Even if I'm not using it, I still lay it down in the same spot - on the amp next to the amp I'm using.

2. Whatizitman

I often play sitting down with my phone on my leg. No noise. I've never heard any noise when I hold or touch my phone close to my guitar. If I lay the phone on my amp, noise.

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Probably depends on which phone, whether the screen is on, what it's doing, etc..

Try putting a youtube video on the phone and then get it close to your pickups.

It depends on the orientation of the phone vs pickups as well, just like with lights and such with 60/120hz hum.

4. Whatizitman

I play along to youtube vids all the time. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying it hasn't been a problem for me having the phone fairly close to my guitar. I haven't really experimented with it, either. So I can't say it doesn't cause noise. If I put my phone on top of my amp, however, there's definitely lots of noise. Just sayin'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.