My advice to Rolling Stones and ZZ Top (like they'd take it, haha)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

That was the theme of rock author Steven Hyden's 2018 book, Twilight of the Gods: A Journey to the End of Classic Rock, where he discussed that the brand name is everything, hence recent weird mashups of AC/DC with Axel Rose, and Fleetwood Mac with the guy from Crowded House, and Queen's touring with Paul Rodgers as the lead vocalist. Mick Jagger and Roger Waters found out the hard way in the 1980s that the brand names the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd put butts in seats in football stadiums. Solo artists not so much. (Although Roger Waters' ticket sales obviously improved immensely in recent years, once it was obvious that he was the closest people are going to get to seeing the pomp and spectacle of stadium-era Pink Floyd.)

2. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Musicians who play instruments usually have plenty of life left in them but some '70s & '80s vocalists are painful to listen to these days, they can't hit the notes anymore and maybe rely on the good will of their group's diehard fans to keep the stadiums filled. Ozzy Osborne for example. Painful live from what I've seen. I watched an Art Garfunkel televised concert a couple of years back and cringed.
    A man's gotta know his limits.

3. baldbones

baldbones TDPRI Member

I missed the Stones in 84 as only had enough money to go to one big gig that year. So Live Aid it was. Had been kicking myself ever since but never bothered to go as I thought they’d peaked….the mate who I was going to go with in 84 offered me a ticket in 19, so we saw them in Twickenham about a mile from Eel Pie Island where they first started.
    I still have mixed feelings about it. It had a very corporate feel to it. Keith threw some shapes but his playing was mediocre, Ron did all the heavy lifting and was superb but it’s an odd experience.

smartsoul72 likes this.
  4. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I believe time will sort this all out before too much longer.

See who you can, while you can.

5. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Man there's a lot of negativity here isn't there.
    Talking about 2 of the biggest most influential rock bands of all time that have been on the go well over 50 years.

They still clearly love what they do and want to continue to do it and people over here having a little cry about them not sounding like the records when they're well into their 70's.

Also you're forgettting about the younger generation, (of which I am part) who may have never seen these bands live and have been fans for many many years.
    I never got to see the Stones during Sticky Fingers or Exile but I damn sure made every second of it count a few years back when I finally got to see them.
    Yeah some songs were a bit off the mark, the timing wasn't perfect but ....... IT'S THE ****ING ROLLING STONES.

Just gutted I never to go see ZZ, but if they come around with Elwood on bass I'll go see them, particularly when it was Dusty's wish for the band continue.

Enjoy the music man, while they are still here.

cbnutt and eddiewagner like this.
  6. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I fully believe that KISS has this on their drawing board, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are a bunch more working on it. How many Southern Rock bands are currently touring with one – or no – original member(s)? 'Carrying the Torch', so to speak.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  7. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

and the there's the conundrum of Aerosmith.

they had some different line ups / studio swaps along the way.

But the big question remains - were they still 'Aerosmith' after the cocaine left?

:p

Blackmore Fan and Skully like this.
  8. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

If a doctor or lawyer doesn't retire when she's not sharp anymore, people get hurt. If a singer doesn't retire when the voice isn't what it used to be, no one gets hurt (except maybe a little disappointed). Some of the boomer heros are still making good music; most haven't made much worth hearing since the '70s. But they're welcome to try. I may not pay to see them, but I don't fault a performer for wanting to perform. Lions hunt; fish swim; singers sing.

cbnutt likes this.
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

LZ remained legends. But I’m guessing ZZ Top and the Stones made a little more money from touring since the 70s.

thats what it’s all about. And that’s why bands from Styx to Foreigner are touring with only a few, to no original members.

10. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Holic

Ah, but you are arguing logic in a situation where marketing rules. It's the music business it's not just about music. Logically you're right, but millions in tour dollars are in play here. I don't like having to "follow the money" but that phrase explains so much in our culture.

aging_rocker likes this.
  11. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

You missed the Stones in 1982 and Live Aid was 1985.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  12. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

"Milk it for all it's worth."

Really?

I vote: Stop playing under that name! The OP has it right.

BTW, the market is driven by advertisers and investors trying to tell you and me WHAT or WHO to like. The market may want to see those old guys on stage at age 85-90. Meh!!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  13. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

Grateful Dead becomes Dead & Co.
    Sublime becomes Sublime w/ Rome
    Bob Marley & The Wailers becomes The Wailers Band
    Morphine becomes nothing because the band ends after Mark

eddiewagner likes this.
  14. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

I have eaten at a favorite restaurant that slowly went downhill until they closed. But I still went because they were still better than any other one in town.

15. baldbones

baldbones TDPRI Member

Hey it was the80’s…I’m lucky I can remember my name!
    Stones did tour in 82 and I missed that then, it must have been Glastonbury I missed. (Smiths/Costello)That’s for helping me out there!
    Live Aid good
    Stones odd
    Glastonbury who knows
    Springsteen 4th July 86 magnificent!

Skully likes this.
  16. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

The music business is first a business. It's not for me to tell anyone how to run their private business in a way that makes me feel better. Let alone how or when they make money. Every one assumes that every famous musician is rich but that's not always true. There are usually other people involved in the business that we don't see and a rich artist may be concerned about the lively hood of people they work with well as their own heirs. For all of us music and artists are very personal to each of us just imagine how personal a band name is for an artist that has used it for their entire adult life.

17. Skully

One of my favorite Rolling Stones live videos is Glastonbury 2013 (mislabeled 2017 below). I believe that year is the first and only time they played the Glastonbury Festival (whether or not they played the city on another occasion is another matter).

My favorite number from the set is a reworking of "Factory Girl" titled "Glastonbury Girl." It starts at the 25:25 min. mark.

Durtdog likes this.
  18. baldbones

baldbones TDPRI Member

BBC couldn’t afford to pay them what they wanted to broadcast the whole gig so no idea what the first few songs were. Thought it a bit odd at the time then remembered understandably they know their worth..

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Peanuts Hucko fronted the Glenn Miller Band for a long time.

mrbdxmpl likes this.
  20. Skully

Steven Tyler is still very cocaine without the cocaine, which is why I was unable to complete his autobiography. Conversely, I understand that Ulysses S. Grant's use of cocaine helped make his autobiography as good as it was.

Blackmore Fan, scottser and skunqesh like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.