My Adorama Tele arrived and...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gip111, Jul 31, 2021.

1. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

So had it for about a week now, the Tele LE Player and I love just about everything about it but I'm finding it too bright sounding for my taste and I'm wondering if I can hear opinions from other owners. I know I'll get the usual 'turn down the treble' but it just doesn't have enough meat for me. I know Teles are known for their bright sound but this is way too bright.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  2. jim232777

jim232777 TDPRI Member

Have you tried raising pickups closer to strings? Makes “meatier” but a little less clear.

I’ve spent hours adjusting the 2 pickups in my partscaster trying to balance clarity vs. thickness, and also balancing the pickups against each other, and getting a middle position combination I like.

3. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

They're about 3/16 to 1/8" from the strings now. First I thought the original strings were to blame but a set of D'addario 9-42 didn't change anything. The high E almost disappear when I turn the tone down on the highs. Just way too crisp and bright.

4. tygr55

tygr55 TDPRI Member

Damn. I just got the same guitar and I didn't think they were too bright at all. Are your other guitars single coils as well?

nickmsmith likes this.
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Have you played other traditional Teles on your amp? Teles are definitely supposed to be bright.

you can buy a humbucker that will fit, if you need a darker pickup.

OmegaWoods likes this.
  6. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Teles are mostly bought for that bright sound.
    I remember having to rethink my amp setting when I got my first Tele - maybe play around with that before doing anything too drastic.

7. bls82261

bls82261 Tele-Meister

I'm not trying to derail the thread but I'm a newbie with questions. Raising the pickups makes them darker?

8. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

Change pickup height. Eq pedal.

Try a 10 for high e?

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems the opposite to me too......?

For the OP: many people feel Teles are too bright, especially the bridge pickup. The only fix I know of is to work the tone control and make it's a tone control that has some good smooth transition to it.
    I doubt it's simply "this particular guitar is too bright".
    But can you measure pickups? What do they read? Generally real low readings of resistance mean bright pickups.

10. jim232777

jim232777 TDPRI Member

My personal descriptive words wouldn’t be bright vs dark, but thicker (which I interpreted the same as OP’s “meatier”) vs thinner. Maybe something similar to the difference between single coil and humbucker?

My recent partscaster pickup adjustments certainly had more output when raised closer to strings, but also got thicker and more complex. I attribute it to picking up more of the harmonics and overtones.

When lowering the pickup the sound got thinner and clearer. The clearer treble notes to me are more piercing, so I thought thickening the sound by raising the pups might reduce the perceived brightness.

These are just my personal decriptions of the sounds coming from 2 particular pickups, and through a particular amp. It’s pretty easy to experiment on most guitars—I would suggest you count the number of quarter turns and in what direction, so you can return to original setting if you don’t like what you’ve done. I had some pretty good settings and lost them trying to tweak things. The sweet spot balancing the effects could be a very narrow range!

bls82261 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  11. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

So the bridge is at 10.4k and neck 8k. Moving the pups closer to the strings just starts to sound weird, louder of course but not a good sound at all. Im thinking this is the way these Teles are supposed to sound.

12. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

PRETENDING for a moment that you had only 2 guitars (one single coil guitar and another with humbuckers) and just one amp, the guitars are going to sound very different playing thru the amp if you make no adjustments to the amp settings. Pedals can make that situation better or worse, depending on which ones are turned on or off with each guitar playing thru that same un-adjusted amp.

beyer160 likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Those are fairly hot pickups, but that should mean a bit more meat to the sound, bright or not. The semantics are always difficult in these discussions. The description sounds typical Tele to me. They are tonally different guitars that often take some time to get used to. I still think you need to warm it up a bit either with the amp controls or the tone controls or both and give it some time.

gip111 likes this.
  14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I can only offer what others have said, but definitely play about with the height adjustment screws.

gip111 likes this.
  15. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

I appreciate all the comments. I need to get used to this sound. I’m not new to telecasters but my past teles have been with ceramic pickups and they seem to be warmer sounding.

loopfinding likes this.
  16. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Try pure nickel strings, like DR blues

GeneB, joy-z and bls82261 like this.
  17. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I run my Tele's tone knob almost half way down.

bls82261 and BrettFuzz like this.
  18. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

never really had too much of a problem with pickups being too bright, you can always adjust on the amp. but i agree that some brighter pickups don't have enough balls in the low end, even when you compensate for too much treble and the system (amp, pedals) compresses the signal. you can bang your head against the wall trying to emphasize what isn't there in spades already.

if you find that "no balls" is the case, try the ceramic MIM tele pickups from the older years that you said you like, or a pair of noiseless like dimarzio area T. both can pretty much be had as a "straight trade" once you sell the player pickups (50-80 bucks). i run noiseless now, but if i had a body route or a thinline, i would probably run ceramic singles and use something like an ilitch coil, i love the way those older MIM pickups sound personally. purism is great when it works out for you, and useless when it doesn't.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    gip111 likes this.
  19. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

+1 on the suggestion to try nickel strings.

GeneB likes this.
  20. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

I'm actually trying different things with the amp... gain, power level etc, and seems to be changing things a little, but as you said, you can't compensate for a sound that isn't there, also messing with too many controls changes the tonal quality of the guitar so there is only so much one can do. This is all a matter of preference, I personally like something with more meat and yes I do have a set of MIM ceramics I might try on this guitar later on.

loopfinding likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.