My AA1164 Build...and my very ugly DIY chassis

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Pick_n_Strum, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum TDPRI Member

Hey all,

Wanted to share my second build. At first I wasn't going to post anything about it because I'm so embarrassed about how my chassis turned out - it was my first time attempting to bend a chassis (no metal brake) and lets just say its very ugly but functional. I used a lot of shielding tape to cover gaps on the sides and around some of the tube sockets where there were gaps. Also, wish I had bought a larger step-bit rather than using a punch on the chassis.

All that aside, the build went really smooth. I went for an AA1164 as a step up in the learning process from the 5E3 that I finished last November. The only real problems I encountered were easily figured out, i.e. there are so many more parts on the board that I mis-located about 3 components along the way but figured it out almost immediately (when I realized something else was supposed to be in that space); the other issue was I didn't build the sides very high on the chassis so I wired the pot lugs facing toward the bottom of the chassis (while looking into it) - the lugs didn't make contact with the chassis but I put a couple layers of electrical tape near the lugs as an added barrier.

I absolutely love the sound of it. I'm currently running through a 12" Texas Heat - I really like it but I think I'm going to hook it up to a couple different speakers. Any suggestions for 12" that work well with the Princeton? I'm going to plug the GA-SC64 that I have in my DRRI to test that out tonight.

The only real concern is that the reverb does add some noise. Between about 1 to 3 on the reverb dial, it's dead quiet, by 4 it's pretty noticeable and then just gets louder. Noise is obviously to be expected as it's adding gain but I was reading that some folks try different 12ax7's in there to see if you can get one that's a bit quieter. For bedroom levels, I've been liking my reverb up a bit near 4, so the noise is just loud enough to be a bit annoying. Anyone have any experience with tube rolling these or do I just accept it?

Here are some (mostly poor) photos of the build:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the little face on the faceplate is supposed to be an ogre. My wife always calls me an ogre because I manage to step on things (toys, shoes) that aren't even in the way and ogre my way through the house.

2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love the DIY factors x 10!
    Now, since you asked about the added noise when adding reverb -
    It’s all working great, so you can work on lead dress for your reverb tubes. Short leads, run the leads as close to chassis as possible, Cross over wires at 90 degrees.

Lift some, move em around a bit. One hand and with a wood chopstick :)
    Cool project Mr. Ogre

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  3. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey, once it's in the box, who cares what the chassis looks like!

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  4. ginomolinari

ginomolinari TDPRI Member

The first thing I thought was: OMG the space! Lol. I am building a tweed amp and I am just si envious of the space you have to work with. Besides that, it looks awesome and I can appreciate the effort that goes into building it.

5. Pick_n_Strum

Got it - I will do this for sure; see if I cant get some of that noise out of there.

That is very true - it makes it so much easier to work in a bigger chassis. If I do build another 5E3, I will strongly consider putting it in a blackface-style chassis. Have fun with the build!

6. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I built one last year for a guy and it was definitely the one that got away. Reverb & trem noise in that one was fixed by moving the leads in the NFB/footswitch/V3 area. I ended up disconnecting some and rerouting them. You could look at a wire too hard and make it hum. Very sensitive in that area.

I put a 12" Cannabis Rex in there and we both loved it. 1258 was great and snappy,, but too bright. The Rex let you turn up the treble more for bite without harshness.

5.6k NFB adds a lot of top end and clarity that the stock 2.7 cuts out. I preferred it with the higher value.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Pick_n_Strum and robrob like this.
  7. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What happens if you flip the orientation of the reverb tank 180?

Mine is way, way quieter with the tank’s jacks facing the speaker compared to facing the back of the cab.

Pick_n_Strum and robrob like this.
  8. Mikey_Boss

Mikey_Boss TDPRI Member

Prettier than mine :lol:

Attached Files:

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  9. Pick_n_Strum

That was the first thing I did - and it helped a ton. The first time I fired the amp up with everything in the head, it was very very loud. Turned the pan around it was much better. My initial post here came after I did that so I am still getting a bit of noise. I think the amount of noise I'm hearing at this point is probably normal. It's not noticeable under about 3.5.

Per JSN's suggestion, I did chop stick and mess around in the rear area of the chassis and I had zero change in noise. Think I'm just sensitive to it because as soon as you finish one, you're almost expecting something to be wrong (at least I am).

I like your chassis; did you label with paint marker?

tvas22 likes this.
  10. Mikey_Boss

Mikey_Boss TDPRI Member

Some leftover white(ish) metal paint. No idea what it was originally used for, but It works. That, and a tiny brush :D

It looks ok from a distance....:lol:

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  11. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Is the tank in the head underneath the chassis or in the cabinet? Mine is in the head and it's a little noisier than if I move it away, but, since changing the orientation anyway, the hum is not enough to bother me at all.

I would think moving it to the bottom of the speaker cab would help though. I've also seen DIY shielded reverb tank bags, which might help too?

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.