1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

my 67 Telecaster's value

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Gitarrenonkel, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Gitarrenonkel

Gitarrenonkel TDPRI Member

Hey everyone,

I have this really beautiful and amazing sounding 1967 Telecaster. Aquired this one some years back from the original owner who bought it in a german music store when he was young. He played it live for some years and later always kept it in his studio (professional music producer).
    All parts are original including the frets, all solder joints untouched, original case, full working condition. He said he never altered anything except for changing the strings every once in a while. (got it with flatwound 12s)

For a while now I think about selling this one. Partly because I prefer beefier necks but also because it is so original and I have too much respect for it to take it out on the road. I'd rather get an already altered player like my old gretsch or my old Mustang for gigs. And I don't feel like the guy who wants to keep collectors items around.

So here I am seeking your advice ;-) I did some research on the topic but I don't consider myself an expert.
    What do you think would be a realistic asking price for this one (in europe and/or germany in particular)? Is this a good time to sell a guitar like this or should I wait some time longer? How much do these go for in the US? The Euro is low and it might be worth considering to sell overseas.

Any (other) thoughts on the topic?
    Appreciate your help.

Thanks

.Steffen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Wow. Very nice.

3. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

Gorgeous guitar. That's one you may regret selling later. I'm sure some experts here will be able to give you a price range.
    Personally, I'd hold on to that one for life unless you really needed the money.

4. Dave1

Dave1 TDPRI Member

I'd guess between $5k and $6k. That might be a hair high, but given condition and all original, that would be my realistic guess.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

http://www.gbase.com/

You can check prices for all Fender years & models in this site.

Average prices for an all original 1967 Fender tele are around $8000-$10000 depending on condition & of course color (custom colors are way more expensive)

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Nick's signature there applies...."Hit him again, Jack, he is crazy!" LOL

Seriously, though.....nice guitar. If it were mine and I needed money, I might sell it. Otherwise I keep that one. I can live with those skinny necks. My '66 ES-345 has one, and I have no trouble with it.

I have to note though that the star washer needs to go inside that jack cup...not on the outside. If you are going to sell it, such things bring up questions.

7. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

If he liked playing it I'd reckon he would regret selling it. Seeing how he doesn't like the neck and he doesn't feel comfortable playing it at home or the road I couldn't imagine any future regret.

If he purchased it new, or it was his first guitar that would make a difference, but it doesn't sound like he has any emotional attachment to it.

8. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

Damn, that would be nice.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Wow, that's awesome. Vintage guitars enjoy the relic process so I would be less scared of playing it than I would of it being stolen, ya never know. Aside from that, all original in that color with a rosewood board is just stunning! I would get that oxidation off the frets with new strings before playing it though ;)

As for value, I watch late 60's stuff time to time and bottom line is the better the price the quicker it sells. I've talked to a couple fellas with fairly desired 50's and 60's guitars who told me they're waiting to sell because the market is "flat" but that's here, where there's no shortage of vintage stuff. I'd think you could get more for it in Europe, no?

10. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

11. slimdave

slimdave TDPRI Member

The market is not really moving in Europe. But it depends on the price. If it's a steal it will be sold quickly, if it's fairly priced it might take longer.

12. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Why not keep it and get a replacement neck? That way you have a guitar you enjoy playing and if you ever want to sell it, you could just put the original neck back on.

13. flatpicker1966

flatpicker1966 Tele-Meister

That's a beautiful work of art.That one has a lot of character.If you're the way I am about guitars,it probably has "personality".Mine do,but that's my opinion.I think I'd keep it&keep it original.A 1967?Wish I could afford one,or older.I'd be proud of that.:)

14. flatpicker1966

flatpicker1966 Tele-Meister

I've played some old guitars,and they seem to just get better,with time.

15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Nice guitar!

16. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Tom is correct, maybe even conservative , in his estimation.
    I know of a 62 LPB slab board that was for sale here at $42,000 AUD and
    that was some time ago.
    As Tom has said, you can literally travel with it to Europe and/or Aus. , sell it and have a nice holiday with money to spare.
    Selling vintage guitars in the US is not that economically viable.:idea:

18. gbart14

gbart14 TDPRI Member

You guys ever notice how many necks were stamped 3Sept67B? Amazing. I have 206496 with a maple cap neck with the same stamp. I see many for sale with the same stamp. Anyone know why that is? Must have made a lot of necks that day??

Regarding price - seems like the market is picking up slowly here in the USA. My friend in Denmark says there are still lots of bargains in Europe. You can see the asking price on the various sites but hard to tell what things actually sell for unless published like on some of the market sites. Completely unaltered original will fetch the highest price but I, like others would hang on to it unless you need the money. If you need the money, then, I or my friend in Denmark would certainly buy it as would others on the forum.

Good luck and keep us informed as to what you decide to do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  19. stretford

stretford TDPRI Member

The "3" is not a day. It's the model code.

20. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My '68 is insured for £5K (EURO 7K)

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.