my 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue's new home almost complete

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by doctorunderhill, Apr 5, 2020.

1. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

the future home of my 65 Princeton Reverb reissue is almost finished. as I had copious amounts of time on my hands I completely finished the baffle inside/out. stained on inside, just clear coat on the front as i'm going with a new basket weave'ish blonde grill cloth. finished the interior- stained and sealed. I had some real brass screws and finish washers left over from another project to use for mounting the baffle and rear covers.
    I've got my new Celestion Alnico cream 90watt 12" to slip in. and the amp has not been forgotten. I had been saving up a nos Mullard 12AT7 for the reverb driver, and I also have a set of vintage Belgium made Mazda 6V6GT's that will be going in when everything is finished.
    pretty happy with how the cab turned out. not perfect but a nice patina and super smooth.

- got a new "flat" script logo that I polished to a mirror finish with jeweler's rouge on my bench buffer that should look good with the new grille cloth. and to finish it off a set of cream old style chicken heads.

i'll post some pics when I finish everything up.

Attached Files:

Wally, uriah1, BlueCajun and 10 others like this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice! I'd love to hear an A/B on how that PRRI sounds with the Mazdas and the Mullard versus what was in there. And I'd love to hear that Celestion Cream with it as well. Post more pics when you get it finished!

doctorunderhill likes this.
  3. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I have the same amp. +1 on awaiting for the tone report. I've thought about trying a Celestion Gold in mine as I hear it's a good match, but the 12s are so expensive it's a pricey gamble.

Your cabinet looks gorgeous, did you stick with the stock dimensions? I built an extension cabinet to make it easier to try out speakers without pulling the baffles on my amps each time. I went with DRRI height and depth (I have that amp too) but square dimension for width. It's interest that the same speaker sounds better in the DRRI (even with the amp taking up some cubic inches) than it does in the extension cabinet. Perhaps the cabinet size of the Deluxe Reverb is part of its magic.
    P1020547.jpg

doctorunderhill and theprofessor like this.
  4. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

I actually had the cabinetry done by very talented cabinet guy I know. it is exact stock dimensions. having an known displacement box for speaker trials sounds like an outstanding idea. speakers have long been in the category of boutique pickups- if you don't have personal experience with a speaker, or a pickup then every acquisition becomes a gamble, regardless of all the rave reviews to the contrary. you just don't know until you are personally putting a signal thru. having that box X 2 with switching and you, my friend, could become a guru. that level of comparison just doesn't happen often in the real world.

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

That's beautiful.
    I've thought of re-housing mine in a head cab, but I like yours better.

6. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ Yes, I'd be all over that in normal times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.