My 4-way switch extravaganza!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jessecoffee, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jessecoffee

jessecoffee TDPRI Member

So, I started playing a Tele back in February, and absolutely fell in love. I recently found this forum (from a reference on The Gear Page), and just started reading everything I could. The first thing that immediately caught my attention was all the talk about the 4-way switch mod.

I've recently gone mod crazy, replacing all my pots and caps and wiring and all that jazz, and this mod seemed very easy, and very beneficial. So, I ordered some switches and away I went, doing the mod to both of my teles.

At first I used this wiring diagram:
    [​IMG]

When I got done with what I thought was a successful attempt, I plugged in, and absolutely nothing happened. In fact, the only sound I got was between two of the positions, and it was only the bridge pickup. So, I went back and looked at what I had done. I had accidentally switched the regular ground and the ground from the cover on my neck pickup (they were both black leads). I went and swapped those, and I had sound in all 4 positions, but just from the neck pickup. This is 2 hours into the ordeal, and I was getting a bit peeved, so I went and looked for another diagram.

This is the second one that I used:

[​IMG]

I unsoldered everthing from the switch, and started over. First off, this diagram was WAAAY easier to understand and read. Secondly, I liked both of the combined pickup positions being the middle two positions on the switch. NOTE: I used a .47 tone cap and not the .22 that it suggests here.

I got done soldering everything up, plugged it in, and she was rippin' in no time! That added position really is great, and like people have said before, it adds that much more value and versatility to an already incredibly versatile guitar, for an extra $10-$15.

I promptly stared on my second tele, and was finished in maybe 20 mins.

All this to say, the second wiring diagram made way more sense to me, and was far easier to do than the first. Hope this helps save someone some time and a little bit of confusion!

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

mo betta for sure! glad you got it honkin' ... i really like the series sound and use it a lot.

3. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

did the second diagram myself. Attribute that schematic to Fret Tech's Rob Destephano. Good stuff. Pretty exciting to nail the switch upgrade and adding new pots is rewarding also. Cool thing is now folks who want to upgrade will search and fine this thread and be rewarded with twoo diagrams.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.