My 2003 Hwy 1 Tele has Learned how to Twang

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I don't know why I would never raise the bridge pu up. The guitar never had a twang like a classic tele.
    I was thinking I needed to get a different bridge pu. I finally adjusted that bridge pickup closer to the strings and it's twanging like I've never heard it do before. Very happy with it now, it's got that classic twang now. I think the stock pu sounds fine. Platefire

GFrank, Piggy Stu and rich815 like this.
  2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Yeah I'm not a fan of setting pickups too low where you lose output.I like them high enough to maximise the output but of course not too close to the strings to where it causes too much magnetic pull and out of tune sounds.

3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

When you find THAT sweet spot you are in heaven! :cool:

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Twang on bro!

Piggy Stu likes this.
  5. Platefire

Thanks fellow twangers! I like my teles to sound like a tele. If I want a LP sound, I'll play a LP.

6. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I too made that discovery not that long ago. It kinda sucks though, because I also like a vintage stagger on the bridge pickup and the combination of stagger and pickup height often hinders my picking - I go through picks like crazy now because the pole pieces just shred them. Oh well, that twang is why I play a Tele!

7. Platefire

Wow! That's a bummer! My pickup poles are flat, so that's no problems on mine.

Just measured the height below strings and the Big E is about 5/32" and the little E is about 3/16".
    I tried to adjust them closer a couple of times but the twang wasn't as pure, so I had to back
    it off a little--seems to be the sweet spot. I'm running it through a DIY 5F6 Bassman circuit set pretty
    bright but when I switch to the neck pu it still has that nice mellow jazzy tone even with the amp set bright. So I'm liking that because I can get my classic twang and switch to the neck for the mellower stuff. Of course there is the middle position to get a good combo of both. Platefire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.