My 2003 GMC Yukon Just Turned Over 300,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecastoff1, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

My 2003 GMC Yukon just turned over 300,000 miles. It has the 5.3L engine that has never been touched except for spark plugs and wires. Regular maintenance has always performed like clock-work ever since I bought it. It runs like new and doesn't leak anything. it's the best vehicle I have ever owned and has never left me stranded. I hope to get another 100,000 out of her.

nojazzhere, sean79, cat dude and 11 others like this.
  2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Nice to hear!

My 2004 sierra, same engine as yours, has 205,000 miles and doesn't use any oil between changes.

How bout the transmission? Mine was replaced at 185,000 miles.

I doubt that I will be putting another hundred thou on it though. I only put 4,000 miles on it last year.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I’ve got a 2007 with about 130K on the clock. I’d agree it’s a great vehicle; and it can hold about everything you own.

I was going to replace it last year, and get something slightly smaller. The only problem is, all those slightly smaller replacements are just butched-up minivans - they are front wheel drive unit body platforms.

So I got her new tires, new rotors and calipers, and intend to keep the truck for a while.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Had an '05 Suburban with the 5.3 it had around 240k on it when a deer hit finished it off. While I owned it I replaced the battery because the one in it wouldn't start it much colder than -30, and I had the water pump replaced. Nothing to complain about there.
    Other than the typical for GM problematic dual temperature controls it was a pretty decent rig. I was very surprised to get an insurance check for $7,000 after the deer hit. I'd paid $6,000 for it a few years earlier and thought I paid too much the whole time. My Outback had burned up and I needed something cheap I could pay cash for to get to Montana the following day so I grabbed it.
    Really wouldn't mind another Suburban but the "big" ones that'll take a stack of 4x8s are all '06 or older and rusted out now.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  5. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Congratulations! 300,000 is very impressive. A few years ago I had a Volvo S70 that I was hoping to get to 500,000 miles. Unfortunately, at 452,000 the transmission developed problems and parts were just not available any longer. Sold it to a salvager, and last I heard, the engine had been installed in another car, and was still going strong.

6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a 2002 Avalanche I sold in 2013 with 160,000 miles on it. I only sold it because Chevrolet said 2013 was the last year they were making the Avalanche and I wanted the new one to keep. The 2013 has about 80,000 miles on it. Both have had the 5.3 and have been great vehicles.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

My daughter has a 2007 Tahoe it only has about 95k miles.
    Does anyone that has the 5.3 engine have a lifter ticking at idle before it warms up?
    Congratulations on 300k, that’s quite an achievement

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!
    I thought only Toyotas could do that.

9. Wallo Tweed

The GM LS engines have a reputation for being bullet proof.

10. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

Hold on now .
    Are you saying a U.S. company can produce reliable vehicles ?
    Who knew :D

brookdalebill and Telecastoff1 like this.
  11. Wallo Tweed

My wife bought a 2009 cobalt with 21,000 miles in 2012. It just hit 90,000 miles. So far we have put two sets of tires, one battery, a few sets of wiper blades, and front turn signal bulbs on it. Also had a recall for ignition switch. It still has the factory brake lining.

I don't really like driving it, but she loves it, and that makes me love it.

12. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

There’s an old saying that GMCs are Chevys with lock washers:)

Mine has been mostly reliable; Trouble spots have been AC, some fluid coolers that are prone to rust failure, and I didn’t expect to have brake calipers fail but that’s probably also due to the extreme corrosion that goes with where I live.

Drive train has been trouble-free, though. I run full synthetic oil per the advice of every mechanic I know. And it’s a modern truck with disc brakes on all corners and giant sway bars to keep it from going amok in any emergency maneuvering.

Funny story: A few months ago I was in the truck turning onto a highway ramp. The last few times I’d hit that ramp turn I was in one of our cars, and it can be fun at ~50mph. I forgot I was in the truck and turned in at 50. Stabbing the brakes would have been the exact wrong thing to do. I let the understeer scrub off speed until the fronts regained grip, went a little wide but reeled it in at a more modest 30mph or so.

13. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

My '99 Sierra (5.4L, 4x4) only has 107k on it. Runs great, I've been running back and forth between here and northern Michigan (we're moving) and I'm still getting 16-17 mpg @ 75mph. The rust is starting to win though.

New vehicle later this year...

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ll let you know. Just bought first Japanese ride (Lexus Camry) and I guess we’ll see...o_O

You wouldn’t from reading this forum regularly...:lol:

Toto'sDad, duzie and brookdalebill like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Momma's ride, going on fourteen years old and still perfect. Got a whole sixty thousand miles on it! upload_2020-3-29_12-49-36.png

nojazzhere and boris bubbanov like this.
  16. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. That’s a lot of miles.

My 2011 Nissan Rogue has about 230K miles on the clock right now. I’ve been considering selling it just about every month for the last few years, but it just keeps running. I drive 100 miles every day, so if I buy something new, it’s just going to end up having a bunch of miles on it too.

Keep taking care of that GMC; I’m waiting on your 400K mile report.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  17. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

20200326_063736.jpg Here it is...

Toto'sDad, nojazzhere, dkmw and 2 others like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks impressive!

Guys down this way, tend to lose AC compressors, water pumps and suffer other issues having a lot to do with the heat we have down this way.

I'd be so tempted to drop the pan, clean the crud out of that pan and replace the oil pump.

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I hear ya about dropping the oil pan, but why fix what isn't broken. At 3,000 miles oil and filter change intervals, the oil isn't really very dirty and my oil pressure is consistently at 45-50 lbs at idle, in drive. It's due for a full coolant flush and change again.
    I don't beat the truck, but I don't dog it either. It's had a full life of hauling loads and pulling trailers. Mostly highway and interstate miles, but a good share of suburban traffic as well.
    Virtually,no rust, never an accident and never been re-painted. I attribute the longevity to the fact that is has never been a multiple-driver vehicle and has always been very-well maintained. And...a lot of luck. It must have been built on a good day when all the stars were aligned correctly.

20. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

IMO....
    I see no reason to believe there i anything that needs to be "cleaned out of the oilpan" if the engine has been cared for enough to make it to 300k.
    And FWIW, the oil pump on an LS isnt in there anyway....

Also:
    @boredguy6060 earlier in this thread mentioned what what was thought to be a lifter tap that went away during warmup.
    While certainly not unheard of in this engine, In my experience it is far more likely a minor exhaust leak at one or both manifolds.
    carefully examine the bolts holding them to the heads. Especially paying attention to the front and rear most bolts.
    it is very common for the bolt heads to get popped off from thermal expansion/contraction cycles, especially in trucks. The resultant leak can easily fool you into thinking it is lifter noise, and generally subsides to imperceptible after the engine warms up a bit.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Wallo Tweed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.