1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My 1967 Telecaster story.

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Telecasterplayer, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Telecasterplayer

Telecasterplayer Tele-Meister

Found this picture that is from December 21 or 22 1979 when we did two gigs these dates.

The white striping was done by me with pinstriping tape to make it look more like a Custom Telecaster.

67 dec 79.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    jonnyfez, tubegeek and SuprHtr like this.
  2. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

I'm pretty much facing the same situation, often been tempted to do a re-fin but always decided to leave it as is.

Attached Files:

Telecasterplayer likes this.
  3. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

Very cool guitar! It's all about the sound and feel and if you've got that, you're lucky! I remember looking at a new Telecaster around 1980 in San Francisco. It was a heavy bugger with a natural finish. The price was either $600.00 or $650.00.
    My '67 also has been well used and could really do with some new pots and a new switch, but it sounds so good, I'm afraid to touch anything :)

Telecasterplayer likes this.
  4. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

I had to check and make sure I hadn't already posted the story of my '68 sparkle silver Tele on here already. I got this Tele in '73, a trade with my then teenage bandmate and future Bakersfield steel guitar legend, Kenny Trantham. I was in college at the time, perpetualy flat broke of course, and needed a Tele. It was something of a dud of a guitar, the neck pickup was lifeless and some clown had filed the frets way down like a Gibson "fretless wonder" (blunder). I also couldn't stand the color, and these things were never going to be worth jack anyway, right? So I stripped off the sparkle silver, did the same kind of Varathane stain & finish as the OP's, then used a claw hammer & chisel to hog out the neck slot for a humbucker I somehow had in my collection of parts. A banjo maker in Roswell, NM sold me a bag of frets and on the front porch of the adobe house the band all lived in I pulled out the frets and did my first & last fret job....stop laughing! I was actually able to get them level with a whetstone and crowned with a big ass file. Over the years it got hogged out with every conceiveable kind of electro-switch on the humbucker, coil tap, phasing, etc. Finally the body said "screw you" and started falling apart. I gave it to a guy and replaced it with a Warmoth. Further alterations ensued to the point all that was left was the donor neck, which by then had been properly refretted.

I told this story in 1990 to Larry Wexler, then of Mandolin Brothers (now defunct) on Staten Island. Larry replied "Congratulations, that was probably one of maybe 25 to 50 they ever did in that color. If it was original it would be worth about $15,000. Now it's worth about $.15!" Lol!

In 2002 Kenny sadly died. After his memorial service I resolved to restore the guitar to it's original appearance. Fortunately I had virtually all of the original parts, except the body, switch plate and one pot. After some mucking about with Warmoth on a replacement, and finding a sparkle silver body on Ebay that turned out to not be the original size, I decided to find an original early '68 body that had already been refinished. Several years later a '68 Blue Floral body popped up that had been refin'd in Lake Placid Blue. I bought it, sent it off to Marty Bell for a sparkle job and bingo, we were in business.

Meanwhile, the neck pickup still sucked, and the original bridge pickup was dead. I shot them off to Lindy Fralin for rewinds. Lindy called and said "Did you know the neck pickup was full of metal filings? Looks like someone did a fret recrown or something and didn't protect the thing. I can't get them out of there, I'll have to rewind it." SMH!!!!!

So now it's all back together, looking exactly like the day Kenny and I made the trade. I hope he gazes down from the great country band in heaven and likes how his old guitar came back to life. The guitar gods are going to get even with me some day!

_DSC3612.JPG

5. Telecasterplayer

Wow this one looks pretty much the same as mine.

6. Telecasterplayer

Nice story thanks for sharing,

7. Telecasterplayer

Just in case.........

We have not been on the road for about 15 years so the case was a little dusty :)

I do not belive this is an original Fender case but maby a Sweden built case for a Hagstöm guitar or something like that. I have been told that in the 1960s some Teles was sold without a case when they were new but this is what i got when I bought my Tele in 1979.

case-1.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  8. Telecasterplayer

This sticker once said: "ZZ TOP for president" :D

case-2.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  9. Telecasterplayer

case-3.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  10. Telecasterplayer

case-4.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  11. Telecasterplayer

case-5.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  12. Telecasterplayer

I have been looking for my first guitar for years ( 1976 Japan-Strat ) .........

Found it was resting in the Tele-case LOL
    case-6.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  13. Telecasterplayer

case-7.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  14. Telecasterplayer

The case-candy :)

case-8.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  15. Telecasterplayer

2900 Swedish crowns was around 600 dollars in 1979, pretty much the same price as for a new -79 Tele. I got 700 Crowns for the Hagström Bass that I traded in. case-9.JPG

tubegeek likes this.
  16. Telecasterplayer

The manual.

case-10.JPG

17. Telecasterplayer

case-11.JPG

18. Telecasterplayer

case-12.JPG

19. Telecasterplayer

case-13.JPG

20. Telecasterplayer

case-14.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.