My 1959 Esquire

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by _Presto_, May 17, 2019.

1. Whitey White

Whitey White TDPRI Member

2. Whitey White

Whitey White TDPRI Member

My mistake again, I did not see those photos I only saw the super clean shots. This is the real deal
    Sorry for being doubting Thomas You made a wonderful purchase your Esquire is awesome.

lil scotty and d barham like this.
  3. e-train

e-train TDPRI Member

@_Presto_ - nice guitar - congrats! (I’m an expat Aussie)

I’ve known Jay Boone at Emerald City Guitars for around 25 years (before he started the store) - he’s a stand up guy. As is his son, Trevor. I’ve bought (and sold) around 20 guitars and 10 amps from them. They are now one of the top vintage stores in the US (look at their site http://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/ - they have a 59 and 2 60 les Pauls at the moment). If they were passing faked guitars it would be well known by now and it would affect their business. They go through a pretty thorough process to validate what they get. I remember when this collection came in - it was pretty amazing.

/i
    <back to lurking>

Skamania, John Owen and simoncroft like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Amazing, a truly awesome guitar.
    If I saw it marked $1000 I'd assume it was an overpriced reissue it's so new looking.

Did you buy it sight unseen or travel to get it?

5. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I for one think you've been very kind in showing these great pictures of your guitar, and going to the trouble of showing how it looks under the pick guard and control plate. If EGC authenticated it while it was on the premises, I doubt if a further appraisal based on photographs alone would add anything meaningful to the debate.

If it were my guitar, I wouldn't want to take it apart either. There is no obligation to do so.

I must admit, when I saw your first pictures, I was veering twowards the "too good to be true" camp. Now I'm inclined to believe you are the custodian of a trully exceptional guitar. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing.

Skamania, lil scotty and Piggy Stu like this.
  6. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Thanks man! I didn’t take it they way, I though it was a good suggestion.

Thanks! And regarding the price, with local duties/taxes and converted to my currency - I paid over 30% more than that!!

Basically a while back I added up the value of all my gear. I had some nice vintage pieces (all modified/refins etc.), a few amps and lots of pedals. I noticed that I tend to just pick favourites though and play that one setup 90% of the time. So I wanted to see what I could get if I sold everything and went to just one guitar, one amp and a few pedals. To my surprise it got me in range of my ‘holy grail’, a 50’s esquire. Then the next trick was convincing my wife I should buy the Esquire first, before selling any of my other gear :D

The gear sell off has started now though, I parted with my ‘57 junior the other day. Felt some pain as the new owner drove away, but then walked inside, picked up this guitar and strangely felt pretty good :) Also if I get decent prices for a few other things, I might even be able to keep my no.2 - a heavily modified ‘60 es330...can’t ask for more than that!

All good mate! Thank you!

Ah that’s cool you’ve known them that long! I love that store and they seem like really good guys. I co-own a small Aussie business that’s doing some pretty decent things in the coffee industry, and we’ve been working with a rather large Seattle based coffee chain for a while now. So I visit often and go to ECG every time. Trevor has always been particularly cool to me and has let me play some awesome gear over the years. Once I asked about broadcasters and he just grabbed TWO of them, turned on an old fender amp and said ‘have fun’.

I travelled over - I had zeroed in on that guitar about 3 weeks before my trip though and it was a tough wait. I was tempted to put money down before, but felt if it was ‘meant to be’ it would still be there when I arrived.

Thanks and that’s a relief haha - I really don’t like taking it apart.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Skamania, Piggy Stu and telemnemonics like this.
  7. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Another thing - I used to watch the below video quite a lot, it's one of my favs of theirs. Anyway I hadn't seen it in a long time and last night felt like watching again. I was enjoying it as always, then got to the last guitar and my jaw dropped a little. I had completely forgotten it's a '59 top loader esquire! It's scary how much it sounds like mine too, pretty much identical. The subconscious is an amazing thing hahah

msg315, baiff, Crashbelt and 2 others like this.
  8. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Since my workplace is about a 5 minute walk from Emerald City Guitar, I go there about once a week on my lunch break (which makes me almost, but not quite, as lucky as @_Presto_ ). I have been doing that for nearly 20 years.

I looked that Esquire over pretty closely in person before it made it's journey to Oz. It looked so legit to me that it still makes my palms sweat when I think about it.

That being said, I know I am not qualified to verify authenticity of a vintage instrument but the folks at ECG most certainly are. They have bought and sold thousands of instruments of a quality that most of us on the interwebs may only see in person once or twice in a lifetime (if that). That, in combination with the fact that their livelihood depends on maintaining their gold standard reputation, not to mention the fact that they are just plain honest people, means that - if they say an Esquire is 100% original from 1959, you can count on it.

Skamania, Crashbelt, _Presto_ and 2 others like this.
  9. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

That’s so awesome that you’ve seen it in the flesh...and that you get to go to that store every week!!

I also agree with you on ECG / other trusted sellers...things would turn very quickly for them if they started providing false authentications or similar. It would have also been a pretty weird guitar to choose to do it with too, they have bursts and blackguards and everything in between....then they slip in a fake ‘59 Esquire hah

Skamania and simoncroft like this.
  10. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Congrats again...what a beauty! There is no significant lacquer checking or am I wrong?

Skamania likes this.
  11. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

...AND it's missing a pick up!!!...

SnidelyWhiplash and simoncroft like this.
  12. Hear2learn

Hear2learn TDPRI Member

Some guys just know how to enter a room.
    Congratulations! Hope it brings you happiness for many, many years.

simoncroft likes this.
  13. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Thanks and yes, no significant checking. Just the subtle action shown in those photos. Now it’s out of the case and getting played a LOT, will be interesting to see how it ages from here.

Haha....it has everything it needs, and nothing it doesn’t :p

Thank you! I have a feeling it definitely will.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  14. robarcades

robarcades TDPRI Member

Here's my 59 CS Relic! IMG_20190525_152600_389.jpg tele1.jpg tele2.jpeg.jpg tele3.jpg

baiff, Skamania and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  15. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

@robarcades man that looks great, nice amount of relicing. You’re in Melbourne?

16. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Meanwhile there are great preaged bodies available:

D75114E4-004D-4893-BCAB-858B29DE8F7A.jpeg
    That colorfading reminds me a lot of _presto_s beauty!

17. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

Hah I haven’t seen those before - that’s next level! It still doesn’t quite look ‘old’, but it’s kinda cool.

18. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

After an initial mix up, the original case and ashtray cover finally arrived yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

That is cooler than a polar bear in dark glasses with a beer from the fridge. :D

drlucky and _Presto_ like this.
  20. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Nice pics and nice guitar!

Looks like a Strat has slept in that case, as well. Is that allowed? :twisted:

Are you sure the tweed case that you had before isn't the original one? Was it identical to the one in my avatar photo?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.