1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My 1957 Esquire rehab project

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Zac, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Chuckboy

Chuckboy Tele-Meister

I just saw one of the Seymour Duncan "Secret Agent" hidden neck pickups for sale on Reverb. This is the one that hides under the pickguard on the Brad Paisley Esquire. That's the one I would put under an Esquire pickguard if I were choosing.

Swooshy and Zac like this.
  2. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

When she is done

3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wait is patient, but I am excited! I've been watching a lot of your videos lately and loving them.

Zac likes this.
  4. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

beauty eh. Nice way to wake up seeing this thread. Love your YT videos Ask Zac and TrueTone Lounge

Zac likes this.
  5. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

+1 fan of the channel.

Zac likes this.
  6. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That's pretty cool. Looking forward to the video on your channel! I'd like to go this exact route someday. While original 50's teles are out of my price range, I've seen a few refinished ones that are doable. You know, if I save for a few years... and sell one of our cars. :lol: Lol Looks like a fun project!

RobRiggs likes this.
  7. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

Keep that thing away from Brad... LOL

Zac likes this.
  8. TJStone

TJStone TDPRI Member

very professional work, nice save!

9. kjatexas

kjatexas TDPRI Member

I've always liked that blonde color. Is that called Vintage Blonde? We always assume Esquires only had one pickup, but didn't Fender make a two pickup Esquire, like a Tele, for a while?

Zac likes this.
  10. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

I absolutely love this! I guess it already had a neck pickup by the past otherwise you wouldn't dare screwing in a virgin wood! I wonder if this nice looking white pickguard is white enough for the best effect… Genuine white pickguards from the 50's are often whiter than the reissues.

Zac likes this.
  11. Captdan61

Captdan61 TDPRI Member

As long as we're Talkin at Squires I built myself an Esquire Parts gaster was the first guitar I did the finish work on and stuff and surprised it turned out incredibly well it weighs 6.4lb and is really hand is really resonant. My question is in that really super Bassy position on the three-way switch what capacitor would make that more useful sounded honestly I really live on the bridge pickup with a 3-way switch all the way down to where the bridge I almost never use that position just because it's not that useful to me would changing capacitors help and make it more useful? If I could get it to give me more of a jazzy sound rather than just got home you did muffle you sound it would be a lot more useful help?

12. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

Curious about your '67 tele I saw in your videos. Would you share where you found that one? I had one with the same Gibson-style jack plate mod that I wish I had never traded away.

13. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I was kinda digging the blue. Not very '57-ish, but catches the eye. Since it was Krylon spray paint, I'm sure it felt like trash. New finish looks great!

14. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

It came from near Fullerton , CA

15. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

I decided to go 2 pickup because it is a refin.

16. kjatexas

kjatexas TDPRI Member

I had a '57 Tele that I bought used, in the '70s, for nothing. When I decided to sell it, in the '90s, the guy took it apart. He told me that it was originally an Esquire, and that it had been common for players to add a neck pickup. It also had a BIG honkin' fat capacitor or resistor in the control panel. He said that was a common mod also. But the neck pickup was dark, delicious, and jazzy, and I wonder now, if it was the old wiring.
    Wish I still had it, got way more than I paid for it, but who knew how pricey those vintage guitars would get, over the years.

Piotr likes this.
  17. DavideBassista

DavideBassista Tele-Meister

Hi Zac. Thanks for posting your restoration here. I look forward to your video on the guitar when it is complete. Your YT channel is great btw. In 2014 i bought a beat up 1963 Precision bass and went through a very similar process that you are going through with your Esquire. It's quite exciting and I'm sure you will love your Tele as much as I love my 63 P Bass. In some ways it is more fun to get a beat up Pre-CBS guitar and have it fixed up to your liking than it is to get a pristine copy that you have to worry about messing up. At the end of the process the instrument really feels like it is truly yours.

My advice on the relicing of the body would be to leave it be. The guitar will still look vintage with the worn hardware and the fresh nitro paint body will relic rather quickly on its own, esp with the amount of playing you will subject it to. I didn't relic my refin and I never felt that it looked out of place with the neck and hardware, and now 6 years later it's starting to catch up. That's the beauty of nitro finishes.

If you're bored and want to check out my P Bass refin and restore thread you can check it out here:
    https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fixing-up-1963-precision-bass.1079115/

18. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

Gorgeous! What a fun project that must be!! Because of your Harvard video I'm in the process of building a 5f11 Vibrolux.
    Love your youtube channel!

19. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Back then you could get the neck pickup added from the factory.

G.E. Smith said that he has an Esquire with an added neck pickup. I think
    he said Fender charged around 15 bucks.

He was talking about his guitar and Fender had that option listed in
    an old catalog

20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

They made a few, but not more than a few.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.