My $100 USA Fender Highway 1 Honey Blonde Pawnshop Score!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Texsunburst59, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Great snag!!

I know everyone now is saying they are going to hit their local pawn shop up, but keep in mind our OP is a regular. And I would bet on many of his runs he gets nothing, but that is like fishing or hunting, you have to be at the right place at the right time to take advantage.

Two late summers ago I had dropped my wife off at an event and decided to grab some breakfast one day. Stopped in this greasy spoon and had a really bad for you breakfast with all the heart attack trimmings. So as I am heading toward the car I see a pawn shop and figured I would stop in.
    See a few guitars, nothing special although they did have a nice acoustic with a flame top that was pretty but nothing I wanted to buy.

I start to head to the door and see a golf bag and a set of clubs. The clubs are newer Pings (I30's) and they are left handed (which I am). The bag is a Ping stand bag and seems in pretty good shape. I take a look at them and other than needing some grips they appear to be in good shape and there is a price tag on one of the clubs. The tag reads $60. I walk back to the counter and point at the clubs and ask what is the bottom line price. He tells me that he will let them go for $50. I pull out the wallet and all I have is two crisp $20 bills and a couple of ones as I used the ten spot for breakfast.
    I made a point of pulling all the cash I had out of my wallet and put it on the counter. "$42 is all I have buddy", I tell the shop keeper.
    "OK, deal" the guy says as he picks up my cash.
    I go and start pulling the clubs out of the bag and the guy sees me and says, "that price included the bag, take it all or none of it".
    I said "thank you" and ran for the door.

Those clubs retailed for about $500 used with a Ping bag. I still play them today.

So the moral of the story is the same as what Forrest Gump used to say.

Pawn Shops are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get.

2. Harold Lee

Harold Lee TDPRI Member

I sold a $1230.00 USA Kramer to a guy that I had $400 invested for the same money. I found it in a pawnshop a year later laying on the floor with the toolboxes. The shop owner had $150 guitars hanging on the wall! I told him about the error of his ways. He had no clue.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  3. Stevie Redwolf

Stevie Redwolf TDPRI Member

Whenever I see an under priced guitar I wonder who it was stolen from.... soon the guilt is gone and you can enjoy the lucky find

4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

This inspired me to duck in a pawn shop I was passing in the uk

They had one of those base Epi sl things in that were sold off at about 89gbp retail the other summer

Used price? 99gbp

God Bless America(n Pawn Shops)

5. tedcousens

tedcousens TDPRI Member

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

It's the older vintage and Reissue Fenders that really sneak by the pawnshops.

Most pawnshops know how to read the serial numbers on the front and back of the headstock, but don't understand how to find the year when the serial numbers are on the neck plate.

This is how I scored these 3 fenders a few years ago.

$59.95 - '74 Fender Jazz Bass
    $500 - '75 Fender Mocha Strat
    $400 - '07 Fender '57RI AVRI Surf Green Strat ( the serial number is on the neckplate)

Piggy Stu likes this.
  7. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Do pawnshops without internet connections still exist?
    Because the ones in my areas are selling Hondo guitars without strings for eighty bucks.

heffus and Texsunburst59 like this.
  8. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

Congrats Tex59 - nice axequisition!

9. Stevie Redwolf

Stevie Redwolf TDPRI Member

37FB1CAE-9294-4279-8FA2-FED7C5E3C017.jpeg 61E7B149-1401-44F8-B2D7-6F4B5BE10D22.jpeg When I was a kid I went with my dad to a pawn shop in LA that had a Rickenbacher 320 like John Lennon’s and a 50’s blond beat up telecaster for $300 each. Of course I picked the Ricky. I should have bought both of them. The tele would be worth 3 times as much as Ricky today

10. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

Excellent score on the Hiway 1, love the fingerboard.
    Better deal than my 2003 which I bought I bought new with case for $400.

11. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

I'm late to the party again, but WOW, nice find!

Makes me wonder if it was a pricing Typo the pawnshop didn't catch (or care to), or you are near a very large military base and a bunch of fellows will be away for awhile.

Very nice guit!

12. Texsunburst59

There is a military bass in the next town, but I really don't think it has much to do with that.

I've been doing this a very long time and have snagged some killer deals over the years.

My thought is it's a combination of 2 things that come into play.

1 ) A lot of musicians in this town want to buy nice gear they really can't afford.
    Most don't make enough money gigging around town, and eventually have to pawn their gear to pay bills.

2) To me this is really the most important factor is that A LOT of the sales clerks and the managers are just really lazy.
    They don't want to put in the time and energy to research the gear to properly indentify it to get the proper worth.

This combination is the perfect storm for all the amazing deals I find in my area.

bloomz, Piggy Stu and intensely calm like this.
  13. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

you stole that! congrats!

14. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I haven't bothered since a friend of a friend who manages the Pawn Shop here told me "You won't find anything good in the store, anything decent we put on Ebay".

So my guess is this one snuck by somebody - good score.

15. Texsunburst59

Lucky for me none of the pawnshops around here put their gear on E-bay or Reverb.

I don't think they want to trust anyone with taking the good pics, providing all the right info,monitoring the stuff, and dealing with returned items with issues or not presented properly.

I'm so glad I get a shot at all the good quality gear at ALL the pawnshops in the area.

bloomz likes this.
  16. gibson11

gibson11 TDPRI Member

Ha, just scored a 92 Fender American Strat plus for $40.0 and a 6 pack of bud

2 Headed Goat, Chuckster and bloomz like this.
  17. Texsunburst59

That's AWESOME!!!!

I'd love to see some pics of that beauty.

I own 3 '90 Fender Strat Plus guitars myself.

Chuckster likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the parts of California that's a chore, is in some places people don't know one another. In New Orleans you needn't worry about such things in the kinds of shops the Tex 59 would be checking out. Enough people know one another - word will get around if a pawnshop is acting mostly as a fence.

I remember back when my brother was in Architecture School and a classmate got busted for receiving stolen property - a refrigerator and stove I think. Rick should have known better and probably did. He learned his lesson - lucky not to get kicked out of school. But anyway, it is the customer's job to do the homework on the pawn broker. You might be surprised the extent to which these guys will work to maintain trust. You're probably as much at risk buying used at Guitar Center.

On second thought maybe things have changed enough in NOLA, post Katrina. It may be my past experiences are no longer iron clad.

+

The Narrative I imagine for this guitar is more something like this: Guy moves in with girl, and brings a Guitar among other things. After a long while and the guy isn't playing much anymore, and he gets caught cheating on the girl and moves out rather abruptly and the guitar gets left behind. Girl actually never got entirely over the guy and kept hoping he'd be back for it and things might resume. Finally, she met someone better and decided the guitar was in the way. Or maybe the new guy is even worse and sold the guitar for drug money.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  19. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Wow, definitely adding pawn shops to my rounds. Nice find!

20. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I have an '89 Strat Plus that I scored for $400 back in '98 and I thought I did really well... you just crushed that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.