My ‘90’s vibroverb reissue.

Rickofender

NEW MEMBER!
A2C1365D-4F30-41BA-9156-18C0232567D7.jpeg
Vibrolux reissue

kuch

Tele-Holic
Welcome to the forum.

Had one of those with brownface cosmetics. I've also had a couple of Custom Vibrolux Reverb Reissues. To me, they sounded identical, or very close. Way too much amp for me these days.
Have fun!

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I wish I had bought one of the 1 x 15 VV RI's back when they were cheap.

The Fender 1964 Vibroverb RI Handwired is a different amp in comparison to the 6G16. The biggest difference is the tremolo circuit, which is an opto-isolator circuit in that BF 64 VVRI(AB763) but is bias vary in the 63 VVRI(6G16). The 6G16 also has tapped treble pots which yield a different midrange, ime. And yes…I always wanted one. I have owned a late 1963 blackface AB763 VV. I should have kept that one…it was a ‘rough’ player and sounded great. The other one that has passed through my hands was a dead mint 1964. a buyer didn’t even hesitate or even play through it before count8ng out the asking price.
@Rickofender, congrats and enjoy that amp.

congrats

Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The Fender 1964 Vibroverb RI Handwired is a different amp in comparison to the 6G16. The biggest difference is the tremolo circuit, which is an opto-isolator circuit in that BF 64 VVRI(AB763) but is bias vary in the 63 VVRI(6G16). The 6G16 also has tapped treble pots which yield a different midrange, ime. And yes…I always wanted one. I have owned a late 1963 blackface AB763 VV. I should have kept that one…it was a ‘rough’ player and sounded great. The other one that has passed through my hands was a dead mint 1964. a buyer didn’t even hesitate or even play through it before count8ng out the asking price.
@Rickofender, congrats and enjoy that amp.

congrats
Yeah I know. A local player I know had 2, (maybe 3?) real 64 VV's at one time maybe 12-15 years ago. He fell on hard times back then (drugs) and I considered "pawning" one for him, figuring he'd never get it back. But I decided not to. DUH!

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Had one of those with brownface cosmetics. I've also had a couple of Custom Vibrolux Reverb Reissues. To me, they sounded identical, or very close. Way too much amp for me these days.
Have fun!

I bolded that portion.

I want a CVR. I played one a few times and really liked it. However, it's rare that I don't just play my Mustang Micro, because everyone here works from home or goes to bed early. I rarely event fire up my Mustang III.

But boy, do I like the sound of the CVR. That is my favorite amp, I think.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Congratulations on a great amp and welcome to the forum. I owned a ‘63 VVRI and loved it. I had Alessandro GA10-SC64’s in it when I sold it.

It was a keeper amp unit I sold it to help fund buying a vintage ‘62 brown Vibrolux. I missed the reverb in my ‘63 VVRI so now unfortunately, both amps are gone.

82670537-B878-4B4A-8228-C0056FA37564.jpeg

ECDA1F2F-E543-4AB8-811B-760CEDECC676.jpeg

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
Congratulations on a great amp and welcome to the forum. I owned a ‘63 VVRI and loved it. I had Alessandro GA10-SC64’s in it when I sold it.

It was a keeper amp unit I sold it to help fund buying a vintage ‘62 brown Vibrolux. I missed the reverb in my ‘63 VVRI so now unfortunately, both amps are gone.

View attachment 1001285
View attachment 1001284

Reverb can be purchased, can it not???

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Reverb can be purchased, can it not???
Yes, I had a ‘63 RI Reverb Unit at one time and I also own a great sounding Reverb pedal (Catlinbread Topanga). Water under the bridge both amps are now gone.

Replaced with ‘67 (Black-Line Drip-Edge) Fender Vibrolux Reverb and a ‘68 (Black-Line Drip-Edge) Fender Super Reverb. All still good.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought my '63 VVRI in '08.

Still got it. But, it does need a little troubleshooting...

I have contemplated gutting mine and re-wiring to 6g16 layout and specs.... But, that's not a knock on the amp, they're still one of my favorite Fender amps!

Congrats, and welcome to the club!

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Not quite. VVR RI specs but I did add a Weber Copper Cap to simulate the rectifier tube. Works pretty good but you probably won't notice much difference unless the amp is pushed. Even then it's not really necessary.
I tried one of those in mine and then a week later had it put back to stock. Really didn’t notice a difference either.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Fwiw, I hear the difference between a GZ34 and solid state rectifier…even in clean modes. I am not saying that it is like day and night, but there are differences. For one thing, the attack is sharper and quicker.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Fwiw, I hear the difference between a GZ34 and solid state rectifier…even in clean modes. I am not saying that it is like day and night, but there are differences. For one thing, the attack is sharper and quicker.
I've got one Princeton with a ss plug-in rectifier and the stock 5AR4 in my PRRI and it's a subtle but noticeable difference in volume and attack (there are other variables, admittedly). I tried a 5y3 in the PRRI and it sounded great--tremolo was deeper and swampier--but the amp ran hotter and the right amp strap was noticeably warmer to the touch. Swapped it back out.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've got one Princeton with a ss plug-in rectifier and the stock 5AR4 in my PRRI and it's a subtle but noticeable difference in volume and attack (there are other variables, admittedly). I tried a 5y3 in the PRRI and it sounded great--tremolo was deeper and swampier--but the amp ran hotter and the right amp strap was noticeably warmer to the touch. Swapped it back out.
With the lower voltage yielded by the 5Y3, your power tubes were rebiased and were drawing more current, I would think. The 5Y3 has the same current draw as does a GZ34, so it was not 8n and of itself causing the PT to heat up.