MXR Univibe Vs TC Viscous Vibe?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by omahaaudio, Mar 10, 2019.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Here's the deal.

The choice is between two "univibe" style pedals, due mainly to pedal size and the space available on my pedal board, so I'm not interested in any "photocell" vibes that might be "truer" to the sound of the original Univibe. The Drybell is way too expensive.

I can get a TC Viscous Vibe (new) for $89 and an MXR Univibe (new) for $138.
    I am not interested in looking for something used.

Is the TC that much better than the MXR? Are they both good? Do they both suck?

Comments from those that have owned/used both, even under test, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Owned both, liked the MXR slightly better. The MXR sounded slightly more like a "real" Uni-Vibe, although the wobble was backward. It goes wah-ooo, instead of ooo-wah. Sold both, got the VooDoo Lab, s'only slightly bigger, hugely more accurate, which we don't care about.

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I'd give any TC pedal a chance simply based on the "power" of the tone print technology. They are so much fun to mess around with. It's like buying multiple pedals, not just one. Is the VVibe really only $89 new? Hmmm...

4. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I tried the univibe at one point and didn't remember being wowed by it. I cannot provide first hand experiences on the TC Viscious Vibe.

Don't hate me for going outside "the two", but....take a look at the Ventura Vibe by Digitech - you can get one new on Amazon for $99. It will meet the pedal size constraint. I think it should be a contender - checkout Andy's PGS demo of it on Youtube.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, all the current Digitech/DOD stuff seem to be real sleepers. Ventura. Polara. Carcosa. Etc.

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I own a Viscous Vibe and tried many (including the UniVibe) before I bought it. I liked them both but settled on the TC. Another consideration for me is the fact that my rig is stereo and the UniVibe is mono. The TC has one of the best stereo images of any pedal I have owned. Later, I bought a Digitech Ventura vibe and it really outshines everything I have tried or owned so far. It has what I can only describe as a "gooey" vibe tone that is just killer. It also does a pretty good Leslie sound. I paid $64 bucks for it from GC. Killer vibe!! Not as versatile as the TC but what it does is stellar! It sounds really good stereo as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Chunkocaster, RetroTeleRod and E5RSY like this.
  7. omahaaudio

I live in France and that's what Thomann are selling them for here. Sweetwater in the US is asking $130.

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

You should check out the Car Crush vibe , there’s a demo over in pedal owners club. About 100 bucks, sounds amazing.

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I am no expert or connoisseur about UniVibe or Leslie pedals, but that demo sounds nice and the various modes makes it seem pretty versatile.

Years ago I had the Line6 Roto Machine which gives you lots of options (Leslie model, fast & slow speeds, how fast it ramps up/down, etc) but as a guitarist in a typical bar cover band I only used it once or twice a night. And while all the settings were cool to mess with running stereo in my house, I only used one setting live.

This Ventura vibe sounds plenty good to work in a noisy bar band along with covering several different sounds to get used more often over the course of a night.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a few vibes and I love the MXR. The swoosh sounds very warm and natural. My MXR was $75 used. I’ll bet that you could find a mint used MXR for $75

11. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Another cheap alternative though it has a large footprint is the Moen Shaky Jimi, $65 on Amazon.

12. omahaaudio

Got the Viscous Vibe today and initial testing hints that it's pretty darn good. Not a "perfect" UniVibe sound but a good one, and with the "Vintage Vibe" toneprint loaded (with low intensity) it even does a decent DOD 201.
    I'm happy so far, but give it a week and who knows?

4pickupguy likes this.
  13. 4pickupguy

Funny that its even possible for vibes to have “different levels” of stereo image. I mean all that is required for one side is a dry sound and the other just the wobbly bit with no dry sound!?? I was curious to see if I was just imagining this. I hooked up my TC VV and compared it to my Digitech Ventura. The Ventura’s stereo image is very good but why does the TC sound so enormous? Then it hit me, there must be a latency with the TC circuit (or at least a bigger one) that adds a ‘time’ element to the pitch mod as well. I’m just speculating on the cause but side by side there no comparison. This may also be why both can get really good traditional subtle chorus sounds.
    Demo of the winner (TC Viscous Vibe) of your search as required by law!!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I've researched vibes lately.
    If I wanted the real deal, I'd go fulltone or better, something with the LED and 4 LDRs. There was a TPS about vibes a while back that was pretty enlightening to me, tonewise.

That being said, I'm wanting one to effect delay trails only. TC Viscous Vibe wins for me for the following factors:
    1-I've experienced TC's form factor, reliability and analog dry-through and they're all great
    2-I think this pedal sounds digital (because it is), but since it's in the delay trails only, I'm okay with that
    3-toneprint on this thing is SO cool. I love that there's an option to add some grit. I like delay trails that swirl and gnash and being able to dial in the amount of grit for that has me beside myself with anticipation.

But all of this is just from my research. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. There's a few other things, money-wise, that need to come first in my rig. But I'll get there. And experience is sometimes totally different than expectation.

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. omahaaudio

The Vicious Vibe (at least my Vicious Vibe) is going back.
    The two pre-sets ("Chorus" and "Vibrato") are, IMO, not very good.
    The "Vintage Vibe" toneprint is good (not great), but that fills up the only toneprint slot.
    So there is, at best, one good sound and two sucky ones.
    Not good enough.
    My suggestion would be for TC to issue this pedal with three toneprint slots, but they're never going to do that.

Oh yeah, when you hit the foot switch to turn the pedal "off" it takes a second or two for the effect to fade away...

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

https://reverb.com/p/hardwire-tr-7-tremolo-slash-rotary

Had one of these on my board that played and sounded great. Could be used in stereo and loved the univibe setting. The rotary was really great and kind of miss it. Since I bought an amp with built in trem I got rid of it without thinking of the other settings. Also true bypass and doesn't color your sound.

17. 4pickupguy

This is why my Viscous Vibe is no longer on my board. Drove me absolutely nuts! Really, check out the digitech Ventura, I think you might like all the sounds. It will actually do a real chorus sound. It also does one a pretty decent leslie sound. I got it for the leslie and I like the vibe and modern sounds just as much. Used they are cheap. They are tiny too.

18. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I got one of those Hardwire TR7s for the different trem settings, but began exploring the Vibe sound... my first time playing a proper 'vibe' pedal. Paired with a Muff-type fuzz, I found some seriously psychedelic sounds almost immediately. Wow.

I'm not using those sounds yet, but I'm kind of obsessed with finding a place for them.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  19. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

I just played with all my drives stacked and a bit of delay and a ambient reverb with that pedal gave me the ooziest tones. I'm not a psychedelic player but works with funk rhythms or even reggae.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.