1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MXR Phase 90 Owners - Input or FX Loop ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ziggy587, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Attention MXR Phase 90 owners... Do you use it in the input or the effects loop?

Many years ago I realized that modulation pedals sound much, much better in the effects loop versus the input. Some just sound too quiet in the input, sometimes you can barely hear the effect at all. And ever since I made this realization, I've put modulation pedals in the loop without a second thought.

Then I got the MXR Phase 90. There's a few variations now, I have the modern "block" kind.

Is my pedal broken, or does it just not work well in the effects loop? I have a Marshal JCM DSL and when I put my Phase 90 in the effects loop it just sounds horrible. It adds distortion (not the good kind) even on my clean channel and is totally unusable because of this. I've even removed the "feedback resistor" (some people call this the script mod) which helps but it still has some distortion in the effects loop.

However, when I use the Phase 90 in the input, it sounds just fine. As I would expect it to.

Does anyone here use the Phase 90 in the effects loop? Is it just my amp maybe?

northernguitar and 19sixty3 like this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Strange.. i use a phase 95 in the fx loop of my DSL along with delay and chorus.. Gives a deeper swoosh.
    The 95 can emulate the script and block versions of the phase 90. Not had any problem but my DSL is a newer 40CR version so fx loop might be different.

if it works in front, then maybe just use it there.

3. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a TSL and haven’t really used the FX loop but tried a phase 90 and ehx neo mistress a few months ago and I couldn’t hear much through it. They sounded better from the front, my FX loop has a push button that says +4dBm out/in -10dBv so I wasn’t sure what it should be set on. I’m cleaning the jacks and will try it again tonight.

4. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Right, I use all my other modulation pedals in the loop which gives them a deeper swoosh. That's why this seems so odd to me.

I guess I'll be using it in the front of the amp. It doesn't really make a difference since I have I already have a chain of pedals in the input as well as the loop. I was just curious what the heck was going on with mine.

The DSL also has a push button for the FX loop, I know it's some sort of level option but I can never hear a difference. The TSL additionally has effect mix, maybe you had that turned down?

19sixty3 and nathan5782 like this.
  5. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had the effect level knob all the way up. Ok just tried it again, cleaning the FX loop jacks helped and I’m getting way better sound from my FX loop but it still does sound better from the front of the amp as well as my EHX neo mistress flanger pedal.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  6. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Number 1, all of the Phase 90 variants including the Phase 45 and 95 have a small volume boost built in, it is at most 10db, which is part of the reason that the sound distorts the way it does in an MXR phaser as opposed to say a SmallStone or BadStone from EHX. Both of which suffer from a volume drop instead of a boost.

I think you will find that most people who use a phaser put it in front of the amp anyway so it can be easily turned off. I don't ever run anything through the FX loop in my amp that has one. You are better off running it into the front of the amp instead. I honestly think that when people run stuff through the FX loop it changes the way it acts sonically because you are running a powered pre-amp into a powered pedal, back into a power-amp. You are better off running what is essentially a passive signal into a powered effect, then through the pre-amp; Or perhaps run it straight into the power-amp input. That way you are bypassing the pre-amp completely, and only utilizing the output section. If your amp is similar to a Hot Rod or Peavey Deuce you can do that and it works quite well actually.

19sixty3 likes this.
  7. 19sixty3

19sixty3 Tele-Meister

A phaser is more like a filter. I like all filters, wahs, and uni-vibes before distortion and therefore finally it goes in the input. A phaser in the FX loop does not sound nice to my old ears.

northernguitar likes this.
  8. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Input, and before any dirt/overdrive for maximum "chew", a la Eddie.

19sixty3 likes this.
  9. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

My Ibanez BPL Bi-Stage Phaser sounds like poop in the loop. I think they’re meant to go up front.

19sixty3 likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t have an effects loop on my amp...and even though I can create one on my Furman SPB-8, I choose not to.

I don’t really like effects loops. Most of the time they sound somewhat sterile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.