1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MXR Phase 45, underappreciated?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blues Twanger, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

The MXR Phase 45 is the only phaser I've ever kept. I appreciate it for it's subtleness as a more typical phaser sound is more coloration than I want.

It is also a surprisingly good cheat pedal on a small board for informal or low key stuff. It can fake well enough as a chorus, a leslie, and a vibrato to get me through.

Anyone else on board with the 45?

joe_cpwe and Jakedog like this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have the 95. Which has all the features of the 45, and the 90. I like the 45 sounds a lot. For most of my gigs I set it to “45” and “modern”. But I dig that it also has the the script and 90 settings available if I want them.

RetroTeleRod, joe_cpwe and D_Malone like this.
  3. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I bought a new one a few months ago. Sounded fine when turned on, but when switched off, it cut EVERYTHING, including all sound from the amp. Also, wasn’t a fan of it not having a dc adapter. I had an mxr eq pedal years ago and vaguely remember having some sort of issue with it too. So yeah, no more mxr products for me. But yeah, it’s a shame that the phase 45 would a the only one I ever tried that sounded good too. But they apparently suffer from very shoddy qc

4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I never needed anything other than a Phase 90. I think it’s the perfect phase sound. Every time I try something else, it’s back to the 90.

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like having the 45 option on my Phase 95. It does that subtle, always-on sweetening like Don Felder had on the Joe Walsh live album, You Can’t Argue With A Sick Mind. “Walk Away” is a good example.

D_Malone and Jakedog like this.
  6. Blues Twanger

I've never had a quality issue with an MXR product myself, and that over 25 years.

D_Malone and Jakedog like this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Me neither. Over thirty for me.

8. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Ditto.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I had the 95 and found myself gravitating towards the subtler sounds so I ended up using the Phase 45 sound 99% of the time.

I have a Walrus Lillian now, it's very good for the subtle stuff.

In terms of just the MXR stuff.. once I realized I liked the Phase 45 sound better than the Phase 90 I would have been happier just having a Phase 45 instead of a Phase 95.

10. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

I happen to be a big fan of 2-stage phasers like the MXR Phase 45 and DOD 201 Phasor-- I think they have a more subtle, more "organic" sound than the typical 4-stage (MXR Phase 90, EHX Small Stone, Maxon Phase Tone) and 6-stage (MXR Phase 100, EXH Bad Stone) phasers. My personal preference is for the DOD 201, but every sample I've heard from the Phase 45 was almost equally-good-- I just wish Dunlop would make a version that wasn't battery-only.

11. Blues Twanger

FWIW adding a power jack is pretty easy. I've done it to one before but my current iteration I left alone. Firstly because it's the custom shop handwired one, secondly because my mini board has a five lead power supply and currently holds six pedals, by default this was easiest to leave battery only. It lasts a long time.

12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I love mine. I’ve had a few different phasers, but after messing with all sorts of infinitely micro adjustable pedals, the only-has-one-knob-and-only-does-one-thing old school straightforwardness of the Phase 45 is refreshing. It’s deep, swirly, and the oscillation speed can be adjusted from smooth and subtle to maximum psychedelic warble. I mean, what else do you need a phaser to do?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    D_Malone likes this.
  13. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I’m currently using a Phase 95 and it’s perfect for my needs, but the EQD Grand Orbiter does it all. I kinda wish I hadn’t sold mine.

14. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Me. I still have the one I bought in 1975, added a 9V power jack (center positive which is reverse of standard, but the emclosure is wired to negative so need to use a reversing plug from the PSU) and pull it out and stick it on a board for a while every now and then. It also had a slight boost which I found useful back then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.