MXR Phase 100?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by srblue5, Aug 5, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I have an MXR Phase 95 that I quite like. Gives me the more subtle 60's Univibe-y and the '70s funk phase tones.

However, some of my favourite phase tones are from Keef's work on the Stones' Some Girls, some Clash songs, and one of the backing guitarists on the Simon & Garfunkel Central Park gig. It sounds to me like they were all using a Phase 100. I can't put my finger on it but there seems to be quite a difference between the sounds I get from the Phase 95 and the tones they get.

Is it worth adding a Phase 100 to my arsenal in addition to the Phase 95? Can the Phase 95 (or Phase 45/90) cop some Phase 100 tones or vice versa?

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Phase 100 is my favorite phaser. And it sounds different enough to be worth having.

3. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

FWIW I have found that while the 95 is versatile it is also an approximate in of the pedals it replicates. A good approximation, but not 100% there none the less, moreso on the script settings.

Is it certain that they used a 100 and not a good 90? I am asking because I am not familiar with the recordings, not simply to be a jerk

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

More stages mean more syrup.
    Less stages mean more throb.

5. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I like all the MXR phases - so I say yes :D

6. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

Thanks for your reply!

Interestingly, I wondered how close the Phase 95 was to the Phase 45/90. I used to own a reissue block Phase 90 but I traded it for the Phase 95 for versatility and access to Script tones. I felt like something went missing in the trade but just assumed that the tonal difference(s) was all in my head. I do prefer the Script 90 vs. the non-script 90.

As to your other question, I guess I'm not 100% certain. I have read on forums that Keith used a Phase 100 and not a Phase 90 -- granted, it's the internets. However, having used both the Phase 90 and 95, I haven't been able to get those unique phase tones (e.g. "Shattered", "Rudie Can't Fail") with those. Based on YouTube demos, the sounds that have been demonstrated for the Phase 100 sound closer to Keef's and The Clash's phaser tones to my ears than the Phase 90 or 95. As for the Simon & Garfunkel Central Park gig, it's hard to tell since I can get close with the Phase 95 but there's something more "syrupy" (as @artdecade aptly put it) about it than the Phase 90/95, if that makes sense.

artdecade and Dobbin like this.
  7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I like using my MXR Micro Flanger for those type sounds. But I’m sure it’s just a phase I’m going through. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.