1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MXR owners club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Hollandcaster, Feb 28, 2013.

1. roosme

roosme TDPRI Member

I've just picked up a Prime Distortion for the GC special at $39.99. Haven't really seen any commentary on the pedal here. It seems decent so far. I agree with comments about the straightforward simplicity and essential quality of an MXR pedal. No frills, but obviously built to last, even at this low price. But I've got to wonder why GC is selling them so low. The pedal must not have been selling--but why? Could it be the name? Why Prime? What distinguishes this pedal from the Distortion + or Badass pedals or any of their other distortion pedals for that matter, none of which I've ever owned? Pedal marketing is such a baffling spider web to me. So many options over such a wide price range with such subtle differences. How do you know what's a good deal without buying them all and trying each one? Well, it's a lot of fun exploring anyway. Who am I to complain? What the hell?

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. roosme

roosme TDPRI Member

I've been enjoying the Prime Distortion for the past week but scored a Super Badass Distortion on Ebay last night for $61. Should have it within the week. Looking for a similar deal on a Carbon Copy. I'm liking the whole MXR vibe.

3. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

You're going to love the Super Badass. I wasn't even a fan of MXR dirtboxes going into that one, but everything that box does is absolutely quality. It can do clean boost, tubescreamer, classic crunch, and even borderline scooped hi-gain. Enjoy!

4. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Just got a MXR iL Torino overdrive- what a great sounding and versatile pedal!

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Love my MXR / Jim Dunlop MC401 Boost/Line Driver.
    Does what it's supposed to - just gives me MORE of whatever is going on. And there's a lot of boost available on this one.

Recently checked out some demos of the iL Torino OD and I'm VERY interested.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

About a month ago I picked up a Custom Badass Modified OD at Music-Go-Round. I got it because I saw that Jack Pearson uses one and he's become my latest guitar hero. In spite of that, I've really bonded with it. I like the warmth and sustain it gives. I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.

7. gimmefuel

gimmefuel TDPRI Member

Just picked up a Bonamassa fet driver for a decent price on CL, its literally like brand new. Gonna plug it in tonight and see what kind of noise it makes.

8. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I've had the Carbon Copy for about 4 years. It's a great pedal and I use it a lot, but I pair it up with a Boss DD-7 digital delay on my board. Sometimes the CC gets a bit dark and a little too organic (if that's possible) and the digital delay gives me some different flavors to work with.

9. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

Just a SuperComp for me, but I sold it for a Barber Tone Press which I sold for an Xotic SP Compressor.
    The SuperComp is a decent compressor, though.

10. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

I've had the Carbon Copy for a few years now. It's my one "always on" pedal.
    Also have the Analog Chorus & recently bought another GT-OD, which I had sold a couple years ago & have missed it ever since. Glad to have it back on my board!

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Phase 90 and a 108 Si fuzz. MXR makes good stuff!

12. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

:D We realy need more pics

13. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Found an older MXR Dyna Comp on eBay. Having tried all the flavours of Dyna Comp I think the block logo battery only version is my very favourite.

dyna.jpeg

While the metal can script logo originals get all the praise (and command the highest prices) the block logo is practically identical sonically and (at least in the few I've been able to try) actually has a more pleasing squash of the high end frequencies.

Whatever the merits of the various versions, I'm very pleased to have found such a clean block logo example at a decent price.

14. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Tele-Meister

Yeah, I have this pedal too, and while I've gone through and mostly sold 10 or so ODs this past year, I've kept this pedal - it's my favourite TS style pedal.

[​IMG]

The other MXR pedal I had was the single knob chorus which I sold; nice pedal, but I should've gone for the blue multi-knob version to have more control when I'm adding dirt.

MXR is a great brand, quality products at fair prices.

Several times I've nearly bought the one below, but just don't need any more OD pedals.

[​IMG]

15. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

I added a Phase 90 script logo with LED to my pedalboard.

16. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Just because I have a hoarding disease, I still have my old MXR pedals, and I now have the reissue Dunlop versions. So far I have the Dunlop Distortion+, Dyna Comp, and Phase 90 to go with my original block logo versions. You don't need much more than that.
    I have the Custom Badass Distortion, and it is close to a Distortion+ with a few tweaks. So that may go back, but overall it's a nice pedal. Actually, looking inside it's got a buffer and that makes it play better with other pedals. But if you don't like buffers, you won't like the Custom Badass Distortion.

17. blkpwdr

blkpwdr Tele-Meister

I have a MXR carbon copy with a TS808 through the preamp on my Hot Rod Deluxe. And it sounds so good !!

18. SunnySky

SunnySky Tele-Meister

I'm in with a MXR M77 Custom Badass Modified O.D.

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

This is an old picture; I no longer have the Guitar Center-exclusive Prime Distortion on my board. It was nice, but didn't work so great with P90's or other single coils, so it is now on the board of a young Humbucker-loving friend.

-Boss TU2
    -Ibanez TS9 Reissue
    -Boss RT20 Rotary Ensemble
    -Dunlop GCB95 (Modified and Customized)
    -MXR Phase 90 (pre-LED block logo model with script circuit board)
    -Dunlop JH2S Jimi Hendrix System Classic Fuzz
    -MXR Micro Amp
    -MXR Prime Distortion (removed)
    -Rocktron Hush
    -Lone Wolf Blues Company Harp Break (low-gain harmonica overdrive pedal)
    -MXR Carbon Copy

Lotsa MXR and Dunlop there.

I also have several other pedals, including a Guitar Center-exclusive M-66 Classic Overdrive pedal. Most excellent, but not gracing the board at this moment.

[​IMG]

I have a second pedalboard in the works, set up for more lo-fi/raunchy rock tones...it will be equipped with an Analog Man Fuzz, an Ibanez TS808 Reissue, and a Prescription Electronics Experience pedal (amongst others).

Anode100 likes this.
  20. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

^ Really like that M66 circuit - it plays well with *everything* I've thrown at it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.